What to Wear? HELP!

MsTina

Official Tailgater
Dec 4, 2007
Hi guys! So tomorrow is first day for my first real job!:yahoo:
But what should I wear? I want to make a good impression but I don't want to look like I am trying too hard. Each time I have been to the office for an interview everyone is super casual but since I am just starting I don't want to look like a slob!

Here is the dress code that was sent to me in an email about my first day:

"Dress Code:
- We are a casual environment, so please feel free to dress comfortable. Jeans, sandals, and shorts are all acceptable. No sweats or hats please! :smile:"

I was thinking a pair of dark skinny jeans with either a button shirt or tank with a cardigan or blazer and flat shoes of some sort. What do you guys think?

Thanks for your input and advice in advance!!

NoraV - I am going to be a media negotiator and basically I negotiate rates between newspapers where my company owes ad spaces and the companies who want to place their ads in those papers.

Dress to impress. If they wear jeans, wear a step above that. I suggest wearing a pair of black pants with a simple, professional shirt. This can be either a button-down blouse or a flatteringly-cut shirt. I'd wear a white or blue button-down shirt or top that is a bright colour. Nothing tooo bright or neon, but a colour that you look good in and that doesn't make you look washed out. A pair of simple pumps or flats is perfect.

I think your outfit sounds great, but I'd switch the jeans for a pair of black pants.

What if I wear these pants
JBRA-WP2_V1.jpg

http://www.revolveclothing.com/DisplayProduct.jsp?product=JBRA-WP2&c=J+Brand&sc=Cords
with a white button down?

ITA with daisy duke. I also dress up a little more on my first day. My work is also very casual and the other accounting technicians wear jeans. But my first day, I wore khaki slacks, a button down shirt, and a black sweater over it with black heels.

Good luck on your first day! :nuts:

I'm not sure I'd wear that pant either...you want to dress to impress. Doesn't matter if THEY wear jeans on a daily basis, you need to show them that you are worth it. And yeah, khaki pants are fine, but wear a pair of pants that doesn't show distressing.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I ended up in a white button down with tan color dress pants and brown flats. I was super overdressed but another girl whose been there since January told me she ended up in a suit her first day!

^ That sounds perfect. And there's nothing wrong with a suit or anything. They just are casual and okay with that, and there is nothing wrong with that either. It's just that when you go to an interview, you want to make them want you. If you showed up to any job in jeans and looked sloppy or too casual, it does make you seem impressive. :smile: But you sounded perfect! I hope you get the job!!