What to wear for my own holiday party?

cakegirl

O.G.
Jan 3, 2008
We are having a holiday champagne and sweets party at our house from around 3-7 on a Saturday. I want to be festive , but not over the top since it is the afternoon. Also comfortable and not too fussy since I may need to take care of party things throughout the event. I feel like so many holiday looks are too evening or too old/frumpy. Any ideas?

If you are in your late teens - early 20s, a nice pair of dark coloured (I'd go with black) skinny jeans, a cute top, silk or sequined, and a pair of heels would look great!
If you're older, a nice fitting LBD (little black dress) and a pair of pumps would look more appropriate!

I am late 30's but think of that as young! Jeans and a sparkly something will probably be my fall back, but I wear jeans pretty much everyday. I was trying to think of some kind of fabulous alternative.

If I were hosting the party, I'd like to look a little more dressed up. So more dresses than jeans. Do you have any floaty silk dresses which you can move about easily? A sparkly sequin dress would be fab, if not you could dress it up with some blingy accessories

Would you wear a sequined cocktail dress in the afternoon? It seemed to me like too much for 3pm, that's why I've been having trouble. How about a velvet skirt with a silk tank? If only I could find a skirt!

Would you wear a sequined cocktail dress in the afternoon? It seemed to me like too much for 3pm, that's why I've been having trouble. How about a velvet skirt with a silk tank? If only I could find a skirt!

True...but it'll only be the afternoon for an hour or two and then it'll be dark! That's my excuse you can use for wearing something fun. Velvet skirt and silk tank sounds nice though. How about a sequin skirt with a classic top? Or a black pair of skinnies or jeggings with a fun blouse? Something flowy, silky or satiny. Doesn't have to be sequined.

Sequin skirt and a flowy silk top:
_6669788.jpg