What to tell your boss to get 2 weeks off for surgery?

Icy C said:
I think it depends on your relationship with your boss. Do you have to tell them the reason why you are taking leave? If the relationship is a bit more casual then I don't see why being honest would be a problem unless it will jeopardize your job . You shouldn't care what people think!
Icy C - I wish I had a female boss they probably be more understanding. Unfortunately I am the only girl in the team of like 5 guys/elder gentlemen so I think it'll be harder to tell them because guys dont understand T-T. And exactly as Mina said, I wish to enhance a few features of mine like eyes,nose and maybe cheek, but when I tell people about PS they always think of those drastic changes as on the media. And people tell me: Why? You dont need it? but in fact just a simple eyelid surgery also counts as PS already.

Mina2013 said:
Mai,
You are so cute!!! I would say you don't need any plastic surgery at all. But if you insist to enhance your feature, then a little work on your eyes will be enough. Anyway, it's just my opinion. Hope you don't find it annoyance. ^_^

Thank you! That's very sweet of you :biggrin: Why would I get annoyed :> This is my typical photo pose where I lower my shoulder and take from a higher angle that's why it looks good, but from the front my face is quite flat. I also have a prominent cheek that I always need to cover by my hair but it gets annoying from times to time. Most clinic I consulted has advised me to do a cheekbone reduction and eyes as you said. I also have slight protruding mouth but I opt in for chin implant because I think 2-jaw is too risky! Yes I agree PS is a personal choice and some of us have worked very hard to earn it, I think there are rewards to it but also a lot of risks. That's why I've been following this forum for so long to make up my mind.

I believe PS is like any other forms of self improvements, and should not be judge harshly. It's awkward when you tell guys about PS but I am lucky that my bf is very supportive although he is scared still of the side effect and risks. He's probably more frightened than me when I told him about the cheekbone reduction. I have read this sometime ago about a Chinese guy suing his wife for ugly babies because she did PS without him knowing http://www.ibtimes.com/jian-feng-ne...-who-sued-wife-over-plastic-surgery-deception To be honest I think it is just so mean of the guy, really. If you truly love someone for themselves it should be regardless of how they look.

Icy C - I wish I had a female boss they probably be more understanding. Unfortunately I am the only girl in the team of like 5 guys/elder gentlemen so I think it'll be harder to tell them because guys dont understand T-T. And exactly as Mina said, I wish to enhance a few features of mine like eyes,nose and maybe cheek, but when I tell people about PS they always think of those drastic changes as on the media. And people tell me: Why? You dont need it? but in fact just a simple eyelid surgery also counts as PS already.
Maybe if you don't say anything until someone notices lol. They will probably get over it after a week, and usually older men don't really gossip (sorry for generalising). I think it's a good thing they are questioning why and telling you that you don't need it, to me it sounds very caring.

I would just tell your boss that you would like a two week vacation and don't tell them anything about the PS.

If you're only doing your eyes and nose, then I think most people won't notice it. They will only notice that you look "different" or more beautiful but won't exactly know or pinpoint what is different about you.

Although, I only did my eyes, once I came back home only my mom noticed it (got yelled at LOL!!). My dad, my brother AND my boyfriend didn't notice a thing. At work, a lot of people said I look "prettier" and that's it. I work in an office where majority are women.

However, if you're going to do a drastic change (i.e. V-line) then I will tell my boss/co-workers AFTERWARDS. If you tell them beforehand, they might gossip while you're away and will expect a lot when you come back. So just go and come back and see if anyone notices.

Does anyone here experienced this situation where you've to take a "long" break/leave/off from work to go for plastic surgery? I mean what can I tell my company as a good excuse, not telling them what I've plan that's so sure?

Recently I got attached to a temp to perm job. This position requires me to be under a probation period. While I already have my plan to travel in a few months time. It would not be nice to tell them at the last minute if they confirm me.

And this thing have been on my mind, I thought it would be better now to inform them before hand and not last minute. Now another thing is bothering me, I was worry if I might even be healing well by a month time. Because my colleagues might know I've gone for plastic surgery.

Now I need some income for my trip for sure. I do not wish to lose the job. On the other hand, I'm someone with very slow healing speed, if I don't heal in a month time, how is it possible for me to go work?

If my employer is kind enough to let me go for this month trip, what can I tell them if I can't make it to work after that? I plan to tell them I'm going oversea to visit relatives.

First of all maybe I'm just being stupid, but WHY do u need to tell work. ur entitled to how ever much leave ur entitled to, so unless u have no leave left, it's none of their business. I never told wok and they never asked. I just said 'I need a couple of weeks off in <month> of annual leave' :biggrin:

Here's some excuses u can use...

EYES: wear glasses or lense-free frames for a couple of weeks, if someone asks say ur jet lagged - u didn't get sleep on plane bc of screaming baby, i'll look fine in a few days after i caught up on sleep. u normally get sympathy and ppl totally understand. failing that wear eye makeup and just say 'yeah i'm wearing eye makeup, playing around with colours' blah blah another excuse is that ur sinuses r acting up making ur eye a little puffy, they will be ok after i take the drugs the doc prescribed me

NOSE: ur having surgery bc of sleep apnea, which was leading to vry bad insomnia, needed surgery to correct. an old sporting injury which affected ur nose, wasn't a problem at first but now affecting ur breathing when u sleep or when ur veritcal....this happens, ask any sports person

FAT GRAFTING: allergic reaction to some food while overseas, got some meds from doc so should clear up in a few days. could also use having wisdom teeth removed (this is also good if u need 2 weeks off)

FACIAL CONTOURING: same as fat grafting - allergic reaction to food or wisdom teeth extraction. say ur wisdom teeth contracted and the roots were close to nerves so dental surgeon advised GA.....be careful when u use this excuse as some work places require a doctor certificate, but if ur taking annual leave instead of sick leave then shouldn't be a problem. beware if ur boss is trying to be nice by saying use sick leave instead of annual leave, so u can save AL for a proper holiday....if ur caught in this situation u need to know what to say to get out of it :sweatdrop: lol

Addyson, i appreciated your input on this. :happydance: thank you.

I'm not being entitled to any annual leave at this moment during the period of temping. And also I'm not sure if I'll get to be confirmed. So I just want to let them know because if they really have intention to confirm me, it wouldn't be nice to say I'm going to take a month off work.

It will just seen weird if my colleague suddenly caught me wearing glass when I don't use to wear one.

Although I have only intended to get a few months job for time being to save up a bit for the trip. But this job really came by chance with a salary I've wanted.

I don't know....I'll be mentally prepared if they decided not to confirm me for the reason of me being away for a month. :sad:

Addyson, i appreciated your input on this. :happydance: thank you.

I'm not being entitled to any annual leave at this moment during the period of temping. And also I'm not sure if I'll get to be confirmed. So I just want to let them know because if they really have intention to confirm me, it wouldn't be nice to say I'm going to take a month off work.

It will just seen weird if my colleague suddenly caught me wearing glass when I don't use to wear one.

Although I have only intended to get a few months job for time being to save up a bit for the trip. But this job really came by chance with a salary I've wanted.

I don't know....I'll be mentally prepared if they decided not to confirm me for the reason of me being away for a month. :sad:

It's probably too late now, but i've been in same situation. i'm currently on contract.

normally at interview i tell the employer (up front) that i already have 1 month holiday planned in <month> to see ur elderly grand mother/father.

most companies accept this and i've never had a problem

if u need more time then say ur grand parent took a turn for the worse and passed away....i believe in karma so never used this before, BUT hey, to each their own

re glasses - u can either tell ppl that ur trying out the 'hipster look' and it's just frames OR say u normally wear contacts but due to sinuses acting up the contact aggrevate the symptons so have no choice but to wear glasses until it clears up.....or just don't wear glasses - try the sinuses or jet lag excuse. really depends on how much swelling u have left

Addyson, I used to quit every job for every surgeries which I've planned ahead. So I've got enough time to recuperate and look normal.

But this job really came out of nowhere by chance and it pays me for what I need now...$$$$$$.... die die cannot quit for now.

Yes, I do that. I just inform my boss today but I'm not sure what other plan they had. By the way, I'm ok with whatever excuse I going to bluff, I've intended to tell them I'm visiting my grandparents in Indonesia. Cannot cancel.

Because if I mention Korea, people might straight away link it to plastic surgery!?,....hahaha..that's what I think. But I'm worry if my company will ask me for a prove since I'm going away for a month?

Do you think they will ask me for my itinerary? I don't one to prove it.

Addyson, I used to quit every job for every surgeries which I've planned ahead. So I've got enough time to recuperate and look normal.

But this job really came out of nowhere by chance and it pays me for what I need now...$$$$$$.... die die cannot quit for now.

Yes, I do that. I just inform my boss today but I'm not sure what other plan they had. By the way, I'm ok with whatever excuse I going to bluff, I've intended to tell them I'm visiting my grandparents in Indonesia. Cannot cancel.

Because if I mention Korea, people might straight away link it to plastic surgery!?,....hahaha..that's what I think. But I'm worry if my company will ask me for a prove since I'm going away for a month?

Do you think they will ask me for my itinerary? I don't one to prove it.

I think if it's within your holiday allowance, you don't need to explain or supply any document to prove. However, if it's not within holiday allowance, I think if you don't get paid for those days off they won't have Any reason to ask you to supply proof. Usually when they do, it is because your days off are paid for and you need proof for the record. I think if they do require it really, just go to booking.com or some hotel site to book hotel in Indonesia (one that is free cancellation and don't ask for deposit) and supply as proof. And say you don't have flight details yet as u are unsure of if they allow you to take the days off.

I think if it's within your holiday allowance, you don't need to explain or supply any document to prove. However, if it's not within holiday allowance, I think if you don't get paid for those days off they won't have Any reason to ask you to supply proof. Usually when they do, it is because your days off are paid for and you need proof for the record. I think if they do require it really, just go to booking.com or some hotel site to book hotel in Indonesia (one that is free cancellation and don't ask for deposit) and supply as proof. And say you don't have flight details yet as u are unsure of if they allow you to take the days off.

Thank you, MaiQ. That's a good piece of excuse,. :smile:

I felt I would go all the way even if they decide not to keep me in the end because of this. I see my surgery as top priority at this moment.

I think I'll be in deep **** soon....

My boss was asking if I'm keen with this job, they really looking to confirm me at this point of time. Even before my probation...I thought probation would be 3 months.... after 3 months, I can go for my Aug to Sep trip. They won't have any reason to ask me for a proof.

I need this job badly for my trip. If they should confirm me now, I wonder if they would ask me for a proof. I don't know what I should do now. But I'm taking a full month off, guess I'll not be paid for sure. So they won't have any reason to ask for a proof, isn't it?

I think I'll be in deep **** soon....

My boss was asking if I'm keen with this job, they really looking to confirm me at this point of time. Even before my probation...I thought probation would be 3 months.... after 3 months, I can go for my Aug to Sep trip. They won't have any reason to ask me for a proof.

I need this job badly for my trip. If they should confirm me now, I wonder if they would ask me for a proof. I don't know what I should do now. But I'm taking a full month off, guess I'll not be paid for sure. So they won't have any reason to ask for a proof, isn't it?

just tell them you don't want to get paid for it, it's an important family trip but the job is also important so to keep both you are willing to not get paid. i think that is honest and doesn't mean money lost for them so they have no reason not to agree. i hope so at least.