What to pack for Istanbul Turkey

tima

Apr 18, 2007
Hello,
I will be traveling to Istanbul in September and am trying to figure out what to pack for a 12 day vacation there. We are very excited. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Tima

Flat shoes or chunky heels! Many of the streets are cobblestone. You will get narrow heels caught in them.

Istanbul is a very cosmopolitan city. I would say pack a lot of interchangeable neutrals in dark tones, or however you would pack for a more western European city. Although Turkey is a Muslim country, you don't have to dress particularly modestly though you probably shouldn't attract attention to yourself with very short skirts or low-cut tops. (They do have a vibrant nightlife though, so some of this stuff is OK.) Bring at least one shawl to cover your head if you plan to visit any mosques. I'm excited for you! It is such a great city and has THE BEST food.

Thank you for the advice, is it okay to wear sleeveless dresses and tops? Any suggestions on places to shop for fashionable clothes and jewlery? Off the beaten path.
I am so excited, this is once of my bucket places to visit. I have heard only wonderful things.

I agree with the replies to pack what you would generally do to go to European cities, but maybe a little dressed down is fine. Also yes, do bring a shawl to cover your head for religious places. But I did not end up doing that when I went to the Blue Mosque. And walking shoes are a must. So much to see and do in Istanbul. Hope you have a great time!