What to do?

LilahBelle

being marc jacobs
O.G.
Oct 16, 2009
So I won an item on ebay and as soon as the auction ended I sent the seller a request for total and also asked a few questions.

I didn't get a response right away (which is fair enough), but then I happened to find out she went and offered another person to buy the bag "off ebay". This person had conversed with the seller earlier in the auction and asked for a BIN, but the seller had declined and wanted to see how the auction went. The BIN price this person offered was more than the auction ended for. The seller also told the person that the reason she was offering it to her was because an international buyer (me) had won but she doesn't ship internationally, which is a bit contradictory since she states she does on the auction page. This other person didn't actually do any bidding on the auction so it's not like it was a second chance offer or anything.

Anyway, after discovering this, I decided I didn't want to deal with the seller if she is reluctant to sell internationally. I messaged her via ebay to say if she did a mutual cancellation I would agree to it. Only then I got a response saying if I paid via wire transfer I could have the bag. I replied and said it wasn't worth the hassle and if she could cancel the auction. I haven't received a reply to this yet.

I'm wondering where I should go from here? I would rather pay via paypal to be covered by the protection, I know I won't be covered if I wire transfer her. Obviously she saves money on fees if I pay her this way. How long should I wait for a reply from her? I don't want to get a NPB or anything like that, but now I don't really want the bag as I'm scared of any potential dramas that could happen as this whole situation is kind of dodgy.

I would wait 24 hours. How did you find all that out? Just curious. You really have 4 days to pay ultimatley and are kind of stuck until she lets you know. She is probably waiting to see what the other person wants to do. No matter what if you pay PAY BY PAY PAL only.

She can't stop you paying via paypal, sellers don't get that option anymore so if you want it pay through eBay following the paypal link. I'd probably not agree to cancel and report her as a non selling seller and leave neg feedback. Sellers complain if buyers don't pay but they feel it's ok if they change the rules.
Keep all emails in case you need them.

Do I have to do anything to prove she is a non-selling seller? I think the other person isn't interested in purchasing the bag either, so I guess technically I could still buy it from her, but I'm just not comfortable to anymore.

If she will only sell it if you pay via wire transfer or she will sell to the other person then I would consider her non selling. eBay makes sellers accept paypal.

Do NOT pay via wire transfer.

The seller is dealing under the table with who knows how many potential bidders, and now she has you dangling, too. She is basically trying to play different bidders against one another. That's not cool. It can also be quite dangerous for the buyer. I mean, the seller is not on the up and up as it is, so who knows what happens to the wired money?

If you wish to get the bag, pay by Paypal. If she does not send you the bag within seven days (wtih tracking), open an NPB on her and give her a negative feedback. You have won your auction fair and square and were gracious enough to do a mutual cancellation. What else can she hope for, in a bidder?

p-WA

Egads... this is for the sweet punk?? Tough situation... I wouldn't wire transfer. If you really want the bag, negotiate with the seller and try to get them to privately relist the bag on ebay so you can BIN it and then pay with Paypal.

thithi, yeah, I was the winner of the auction. So I don't need her to relist or anything. I can pay with paypal now if I wanted to, it's just the seller has asked for me to pay with wire transfer. However with her offering the bag to other buyers I don't feel comfortable paying her all that money so I'd rather just back out but she doesn't seem to be responding to my messages.

I agree with pixiepeach. Call ebay and let them know what is going on before you do anything and follow their instructions. Your only other option is to talk to the seller and get them to do a mutual cancellation. You could of course pay, but I wouldn't feel comfortable either.

So she finally replied and said she would "make an exception" and let me pay via paypal. But I don't feel comfortable anymore with it, so I told her I'd rather just have her cancel. She replied and said she would... But 9 hours later still no cancellation put through (I would assume I'd get a notification if one was) so atm I am sitting here waiting again :cursing: