What to do?

Bag_Lady_75

May 6, 2019
I currently have two Saint Laurent bags that are basically sitting in my closet collecting dust. The Loulou is beautiful but was a total impulse buy. I went into the store wanting a beige summer bag and they didn’t have one so I walked out with the small grey. It’s very pretty but I just don’t wear it.
With the envelope, I was still yearning for that beige bag. I purchased this online. The color said warm taupe. When this bag arrived it was a completely different color. It’s really a grey, and can even look khaki against certain clothing. My fault for not immediately returning.

Lesson learned....don’t keep bags unless you are totally smitten and better off returning and waiting for exactly what you want.

Now, what to do? Should I sell them to fashionphile for basically half what I paid for each and then buy something I love? Or should I just keep them and try to get them into rotation more? I feel like I’m throwing money away by selling them for half. However, I’m also throwing money away allowing them to sit in my closet.

I also bought them pre pandemic so things have drastically changed. I’m not going out for dinners and events. I’m wearing more everyday....wondering what my fellow purse lovers thoughts are?

501D0FCF-CA50-48D2-9AB3-612A1DC6268F.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: aimworld
I currently have two Saint Laurent bags that are basically sitting in my closet collecting dust. The Loulou is beautiful but was a total impulse buy. I went into the store wanting a beige summer bag and they didn’t have one so I walked out with the small grey. It’s very pretty but I just don’t wear it.
With the envelope, I was still yearning for that beige bag. I purchased this online. The color said warm taupe. When this bag arrived it was a completely different color. It’s really a grey, and can even look khaki against certain clothing. My fault for not immediately returning.

Lesson learned....don’t keep bags unless you are totally smitten and better off returning and waiting for exactly what you want.

Now, what to do? Should I sell them to fashionphile for basically half what I paid for each and then buy something I love? Or should I just keep them and try to get them into rotation more? I feel like I’m throwing money away by selling them for half. However, I’m also throwing money away allowing them to sit in my closet.

I also bought them pre pandemic so things have drastically changed. I’m not going out for dinners and events. I’m wearing more everyday....wondering what my fellow purse lovers thoughts are?

View attachment 4911671
I had the exact same problem. I just sold my sac de jour and toy loulou. One went to FP the other to Yoogi’s. I lost a lot of money, but wasn’t using either one. My loulou was just too small for my liking. I thought I’d buy myself a bag I really love. Ended up with a vintage lady Dior. The rest I’m saving for something that catches my eye. I would recommend checking all the consignment sites to see who offers a better quote and go for a bag you ❤️

Reactions: Bag_Lady_75

View attachment 4911671
I went through the same thing last month. I just wasn't using my LouLou in the medium size. I felt the exact same way you do about it sitting in the closet. So I got a bid from fashionphile and yoogi's. Yoogi's was insultingly low. I had wanted to use the money to finance the LouLou Shopper that I knew I would use everyday. I put the bag on Poshmark and I got better offers than both Yoogi's and Fashionphile but giving up 20% was hard to swallow. I ended up taking the bag to Vegas and enjoyed wearing it. So I ended up keeping it and vowing to use it more.

Last edited:
I had the exact same problem. I just sold my sac de jour and toy loulou. One went to FP the other to Yoogi’s. I lost a lot of money, but wasn’t using either one. My loulou was just too small for my liking. I thought I’d buy myself a bag I really love. Ended up with a vintage lady Dior. The rest I’m saving for something that catches my eye. I would recommend checking all the consignment sites to see who offers a better quote and go for a bag you ❤

Thanks so much. This is really helpful. A few ladies here have suggested some other sites to try selling. It’s such a hard pill to swallow, but I think better to sell and get something I’ll use. Thanks for the response!

The bags look like in perfect condition. I would definitely sell but not to FP. Try selling on Merceri, they take about 13% rather than poshmark, 20%.
Thanks so much. Glad I asked the question here as I didn’t even know about Merceri. I will look into it. I’m going to try all three sites and go with the best pricing. Appreciate the advice!

I went through the same thing last month. I just wasn't using my LouLou in the medium size. I felt the exact same way you do about it sitting in the closet. So I got a bid from fashionphile and yoogi's. Yoogi's was insultingly low. I had wanted to use the money to finance the LouLou Shopper that I knew I would use everyday. I put the bag on Poshmark and I got better offers than both Yoogi's and Fashionphile but giving up 20% was hard to swallow. I ended up taking the bag to Vegas and enjoyed wearing it. So I ended up keeping it and vowing to use it more.

Totally agree! I’ve sold other bags on FP. They will give you a reasonable price on LV but Wow the Saint Laurent quotes are insultingly low and the bags are practically brand new. I don’t want to just give them away. Especially when I know they are going to sell them at full retail price!!

Totally agree! I’ve sold other bags on FP. They will give you a reasonable price on LV but Wow the Saint Laurent quotes are insultingly low and the bags are practically brand new. I don’t want to just give them away. Especially when I know they are going to sell them at full retail price!!
I kind of figured the quotes would be low because I looked at the prices the ysl bags recently sold for. The auction prices were extremely low. I definitely learned my lesson. Don't pull the trigger on a full retail ysl unless I'm sure I'm gonna love it and use it. I got the LouLou shopper tote for a really good price on fashionphile. I've been using it everyday since I got it.

Reactions: thundercloud
It's not a huge bump, but if you already have your eye on something at FP or NM & you sell to FP, you'll get an extra 10% if you choose to be paid via FP store credit or NM gc. Usually I choose the cash option, but FYI in case you've never sold with them before.

I was in the same predicament with a bal and MG recently, and decided to just take the loss. I wasn't using them and they had been sitting in my closet for YEARS. I figured at that rate, they had to go. Mentally I averaged out the loss (or cost of ownership) over the several years I've owned both bags & that made me feel a bit better. LOL. Plus FP and Yoogis make the selling process so easy. I knew I was paying for that too. I didn't want to deal with selling them myself after being burned on ebay several years ago.

@HavPlenty I agree w you on buying bags. I try not to pay full retail on any bag (regardless of brand) whenever possible, unless I know I will really use it & love it.

It's a rare circumstance where you will get all of your money back. You'll generally always take a loss. It just depends on how much. So I try to buy what I love and decide if it's a keeper based on what my gut tells me.

I would sell on eBay...Ive been doing it for years. You may have to wait a little longer but it’s highly likely that you’ll get a much higher percentage back than what FP or Yoogis will give you.

I would sell on eBay...Ive been doing it for years. You may have to wait a little longer but it’s highly likely that you’ll get a much higher percentage back than what FP or Yoogis will give you.

Really Wow! Have you been able to sell bags on EBay? I would think most purse lovers would be afraid to purchase counterfeit bags. I’m willing to try it. Thanks for the tip.

It's not a huge bump, but if you already have your eye on something at FP or NM & you sell to FP, you'll get an extra 10% if you choose to be paid via FP store credit or NM gc. Usually I choose the cash option, but FYI in case you've never sold with them before.

I was in the same predicament with a bal and MG recently, and decided to just take the loss. I wasn't using them and they had been sitting in my closet for YEARS. I figured at that rate, they had to go. Mentally I averaged out the loss (or cost of ownership) over the several years I've owned both bags & that made me feel a bit better. LOL. Plus FP and Yoogis make the selling process so easy. I knew I was paying for that too. I didn't want to deal with selling them myself after being burned on ebay several years ago.

@HavPlenty I agree w you on buying bags. I try not to pay full retail on any bag (regardless of brand) whenever possible, unless I know I will really use it & love it.

It's a rare circumstance where you will get all of your money back. You'll generally always take a loss. It just depends on how much. So I try to buy what I love and decide if it's a keeper based on what my gut tells me.

Thank you for responding and sharing your experience. Yes, I guess we pay the price with FP for the ease and peace of mind. You are right about that!

I’ve sold two LV bags to them and it was a very simple process. I guess I’m shocked bc I received relatively good/fair pricing on the LV’s however the Saint Laurent’s they are robbing me on. Also, I guess the SL bags are easy to find (dept. stores, boutiques, online etc). Where with LV the bags are not always in abundance. I guess LV is smart when they leave bags online that are not available. Drives up demand and the bags hold their value.

Really Wow! Have you been able to sell bags on EBay? I would think most purse lovers would be afraid to purchase counterfeit bags. I’m willing to try it. Thanks for the tip.
Yes, I’ve been doing it for years, but I’ve mostly sold high in demand bags from popular luxury brands at the right time. Some Gucci, some LV, some Goyards and a lot of Chanel. I have not sold a YSL bag but I’m sure that if I did I would lose less than by selling to FP. FP has lowballed me on popular bags in like new condition that have sold almost immediately after posting on ebay. I also have purchased a lot of my bags in Europe so it’s been easier to sell and not lose monew since the bags are less expensive to begin with. eBay has been pretty great. I’ve also sold on tradesy but I don’t like their new return policy as I don’t like accepting returns and they take about 20%. With eBay it’s 13% including the PayPal fees.

I think the key is to take good pics from all angles and be transparent in the description. If you have a receipt, post pictures of it with your personal info marked out. Also, be reasonable but competitive with your price. A lot of people on eBay are looking for deals and may message you with a lowball offer. I always state that my price is non-negotiable and I do not accept returns. I think a lot of people don’t sell their handbags on eBay because it does require more work than selling directly to a reseller. TBH, it’s a lot of work for that first listing because you have to set up an account and get PayPal, but after that it’s easy to take pics, upload them and write a description. I have had a lot of luxury bag regrets and even though we can afford all these “mistakes” I just wanted to be sensible in how I dealt with these purchases. I‘m now at a place where I don’t sell as much because I’m pretty content with my collection...but if I hadn’t used eBay I probably would have lost thousands of dollars over the years. People also are concerned about the risk involved, but I haven’t had any issues (Knock on wood). I always videotape myself packaging the handbag andalways insure and require signature upon delivery.