Travel what to do with my pts ? japan or beijing?

ChloeSS

O.G.
Feb 4, 2006
Hong Kong
I need some opinion here.

I redeemed a ticket from HK to Japan last year but at the end, I didnt go ahead with the trip so I still that 30000 pts available from asiamiles..

the pt will be expiry at dec this year if i dont use it. I can have a choice to use it or give it to someone else or pick another trip.... but i have to fly with cathay pacific.

So I decided to go back to Hk at Oct but at the pt that I uncover i can use those pt to redeem the ticket to hk.. i already purchased another non-refundable ticket.. so not the option..

i will stayin hk for 6 days only. very short holiday. I am thinking should I use the pts to get a ticket to Japan or Beijing.. for 2 days? will that be too short??

and backpacker will be an option as I dont want to save too much .. any one had experience for a jap or beijing short trip??

please provide your opinion!!

i really dont want to waste the pt and they worth around $600 USD

another option:
I paid 900 +300 tax for my existing ticket to Hk at Oct
That is non refundable

but if i cancel it and get the 300 tax refund, I can add another 15000 pt and fly to Hk with cathay instead.

the whole reason for this suggetion is just to use the pts.. but at the end of the equation.. I spent 900 on pervious ticket + another 15000 pt to get onto cathay's plane.. without any extra benefit....

VPT

i ♥ blood oranges
May 16, 2008
on Facebook 24/7
I went to Tokyo for 3.5 days and in my opinion too much to see and do, time wasn't enough. I did Hokkaido for a week and even that wasn't enough time! Don't know about Beijing haven't been there.

uafly1

Nov 30, 2005
Beijing is great for a short trip. The 1st time I went I only had 48 hours.
In that time I managed to do ton shopping, see Tianamen Square, Forbidden City and the Great Wall. A lot of people will say that's too short. But I say seize any opportunity to you have to see someplace new, even if it's only for a few days.

ChloeSS

O.G.
Feb 4, 2006
Hong Kong
for beijing. how easy to get around?? and how easy to get out from airpt to city??

and for Japan i am considering to stay in hostel or some cheap place, any insight? and which area will be good to stay and convenience? is it easy to get out from airport to the city ?

redney

Lovin' Life!
O.G.
Apr 21, 2006
for beijing. how easy to get around?? and how easy to get out from airpt to city??

and for Japan i am considering to stay in hostel or some cheap place, any insight? and which area will be good to stay and convenience? is it easy to get out from airport to the city ?
For Beijing, it's easy to take a taxi from the airport to the city but do ensure you have your destination written in Mandarin for the driver, if you do not speak the language. The airport is northeast of the city so the duration and cost of the ride will vary tremendously depending on your destination within Beijing - since it's such an enormous city.

I agree with the above poster that it is quite easy to see many sites in Beijing in a few days. Hire a car and driver and guide through a travel agency or your hotel before you go. You can see the Great Wall (Badaling), the Forbidden City and Tiananmen Square, the Temple of Heaven and the Summer Palace in 2-3 days. You can also drive by the Olympic venues - I don't know if they offer tours of the facilities but even a drive-by from the freeway, they are interesting sites to see!

Beijing just added a new subway line or 2 and there are maps available at the stations. The subway system does not reach through the entire city, so you may want to use taxis (not very expensive) or the buses - but I do not know about that.

Ensure you have arranged for the proper visa with enough time. Prior to the Olympics obtaining a visa was very difficult and I do not know if the process has gotten shorter again since the games ended.

For Tokyo, Narita airport is quite a long ways from the City and taxis can cost upwards of US$200. You can take a train or the Airport Limousine Bus (~US$30 one way) from Narita to points in Tokyo. The trains and limo bus are very easy to use.

As for inexpensive accommodations in Tokyo...hmm, I don't have any recommendations since it is a very expensive city overall, but I have heard of the capsule hotels where a small bed in a small room/capsule could be your best bet. Maybe Google it or talk with a travel agent.

VPT

i ♥ blood oranges
May 16, 2008
on Facebook 24/7
Inexpensive accomodation in Tokyo:
http://www.oakhotel.com and http://www.superhotel.co.jp/en/s_hotels/ueno.html
US$60 per night average, I doubt you can find these hotel prices anywhere else. All staff in Oak Hotel speak English. Ueno is one of the downtown suburbs and not out of the way.

If you want to go lower there are cubicle hotels for US$20 a night but you can't bring much luggage as the lockers can't store more than a regular carry-on bag.

To get to either hotel, go to the basement level of Narita Airport and take the Skyliner train to Ueno Station. It's a direct train ride, about 45mins if you hop onto the express service. Narita Station officers speak English, everywhere else don't, or extremely rare. Do NOT travel by cab. I don't know the prices but in Hokkaido, a 30min cab ride from Sapporo-Chitose airport to central Sapporo is US$1000.

VPT

i ♥ blood oranges
May 16, 2008
on Facebook 24/7
Getting around Tokyo, watch all the video clips from this site:
http://video.concierge.com/?fr_story=55be9cdfbebab847976cdd3542d8007e62572f6f&rf=sitemap

Default video is on Ameyoko, a market place traditional Japanese style located right in the heart of Ueno, it's across the JR Ueno station, ask for directions. I found it by walking around, didn't go through the station but walked along the huge overhead bridge.

One of the video clips on the Concierge site has tips on buying train tickets, watch that, because one of the difficulties of traveling around Tokyo is getting familiar with the train system.