What To Do with Diamond with Yellow Hue

marbella8

O.G.
Jan 27, 2009
Hi,

I inherited a diamond ring which I think is an H or I in color, and it is set with yellow gold. What should I do when I reset it, as it is a cathedral setting, and too high and big for my smaller hands, so that the yellow color of the diamond does not show as much?

Or, should I just keep it with the yellow gold theme, but in matte gold and yellow paves in a cushion halo?

It is a round diamond. TIA!

If you can actually see the color, it may be lower than that. I have an I that doesn't look yellow at all.
If it looks yellow, I'd play it up :yes:

If you can actually see the color, it may be lower than that. I have an I that doesn't look yellow at all.
If it looks yellow, I'd play it up :yes:

I'm going to have my friend who is a jeweler look at it to verify the color. I am one of those that is pretty picky with color, I can even see the yellow in Gs (even though it is technically colorless), versus a D or E, so this one is for sure not an H, but I think an I, who knows or maybe you are right Swanky, lower.

What do you mean by play it up? would love suggestions. TIA!

to play up the yellow hue you could put it in a setting meant for a yellow diamond. many of them have yellow gold baskets that sit underneathe the diamond to hold in the yellow hue and force it back up into the stone. it can make a fancy yellow diamond look fancy intense- so it bumps up the colour a few shades. so if you were to do a yellow basket and a yellow gold bezel it could help make it look really vibrant!

also you could do a yellow gold basket and a white gold halo to give the diamond some contrast?

I think haloing it and cupping it with Yellow Gold and then doing a white diamond halo around it will really play up any warmth in it and rock it.

But to be fair, if it's really an H or an I, it's not a horrifyingly awful thing. It might have more warmth than you personally are happy with, but unless it's well lower than an I/J/K, it's probably not that warm. Ill be curious what the gemologist thinks it is next to his master stones.

She isn't sure it's H or I. But H and I are not generally yellow hued. And if they are to this poster, Ill be sure to never wear mine near her.

^:giggles: some people are extremely colour sensitive. my boss is like that. he owns a few jewellery stores and will only work with DEF coloured diamonds anything else looks "dull" to him.

that's probably why he's never commented on my yellow diamond ring he probably thinks it's dirty looking!!

I don't get it either but in the industry people do it to each other all the time. for example I was at a Gala in november, all the couples at the table were showing each other their rings. it started off with the ladies complimenting each other on their engagement rings. then the man (store owners) started talking about how they only buy their wives D colour IF clarity because anything else looks "dirty"

but then again these are people who spend the majority of their days spoting through melee and other diamonds matching up colours of a particular piece, so guess they have a very trained eye!

me on the other hand- I only know if it's pretty or sparkly and if it is I compliment the person on it! I could care less if it's a D or Z colour, IF or SI :biggrin:

I don't get it either but in the industry people do it to each other all the time. for example I was at a Gala in november, all the couples at the table were showing each other their rings. it started off with the ladies complimenting each other on their engagement rings. then the man (store owners) started talking about how they only buy their wives D colour IF clarity because anything else looks "dirty"

but then again these are people who spend the majority of their days spoting through melee and other diamonds matching up colours of a particular piece, so guess they have a very trained eye!

me on the other hand- I only know if it's pretty or sparkly and if it is I compliment the person on it! I could care less if it's a D or Z colour, IF or SI :biggrin:
Right but they're not going to see the clarity of a stone in person without a loupe in most cases no matter how trained their eyes are!

I think there is a thread concerning lower colored diamonds...K/L/M. If it's that yellow must be a lower color.
Erica D (?) worked with lower colored stones and her designs were stunning.
Yup...a YG basket/band with a white diamond halo would be stunning!