What to do with bag charms?

LaVisioneer

Apr 3, 2018
Hi everyone,

I recently bought two Coach bag charms that I really like but that don't match any of my bags. The hardware doesn't match any of my current bag's hardware and the ones where it is close the d rings on the bag are too small for the larger dog leash clips Coach uses. When I tried hanging from the hang tag chain it still didn't work.

Suggestions of what to do?

Do any of you save bag charms until the right bag comes along?

I bought this flower charm from FOS intending to use it with my vintage white Regina but I couldn't get the charm to lay flat and I was able to pair it with my legacy Willis:
IMG_2749.JPG

But I still have two charms with no bags to use them on...

I own lots of bag charms and I buy them because I like them when I find them at a good price. I don't necessarily need to have a bag in mind for a charm, but when I do get a new bag, I pull out my box of fobs and start looking for a good pairing. But that was easier to do in the past, when fobs were cheaper and you could often find them on sale at the outlet and FOS; but nowadays fobs are getting more and more expensive!

But it's surprising how many times I find that I have the perfect charm just waiting for the right bag to come along! I may also select different charms for varying seasons and occasions. For example, my Ice Skates, Reindeer, and Snowflake Charms has been getting a lot of use this winter.

I bought this crystal-eyed red patent crab fob ages ago because I found it at the outlet on sale and it was cute, but I had never used it because it just didn't go well with any of my bags, but when I bought this Bleecker Preston Sunglow 30173 for a tropical vacation, I suddenly realized that my cute little crab had finally found the perfect home!

I also like charms because they are a nice way to personalize my bags and have fun!

Preston_Crab_03.jpg

I own 2 coach charms.

Rexy's gunmetal hardware + hermes bolide's phw + goldtone sunglasses clashing insanely here:
https://forum.purseblog.com/attachments/eating-frites-with-bolide-rexy-jpg.3780384/

Here, piggy charm(which I secure with tiny safety pin through chain, as comes unhooked=clasp fail, coach) in a crazy mess o' color:
https://forum.purseblog.com/attachments/lc-pigs-jpg.4302074/

Basically, perfect matchy-matchy not happening for me.
But playing with charms is fun.;)

OMG I love your LV scarf! I might have to get that!

Reactions: remainsilly
I own lots of bag charms and I buy them because I like them when I find them at a good price. I don't necessarily need to have a bag in mind for a charm, but when I do get a new bag, I pull out my box of fobs and start looking for a good pairing. But that was easier to do in the past, when fobs were cheaper and you could often find them on sale at the outlet and FOS; but nowadays fobs are getting more and more expensive!

But it's surprising how many times I find that I have the perfect charm just waiting for the right bag to come along! I may also select different charms for varying seasons and occasions. For example, my Ice Skates, Reindeer, and Snowflake Charms has been getting a lot of use this winter.

I bought this crystal-eyed red patent crab fob ages ago because I found it at the outlet on sale and it was cute, but I had never used it because it just didn't go well with any of my bags, but when I bought this Bleecker Preston Sunglow 30173 for a tropical vacation, I suddenly realized that my cute little crab had finally found the perfect home!

I also like charms because they are a nice way to personalize my bags and have fun!

View attachment 4320784
I still love this bag set so much! And the little crab is perfect with it! You have the nicest summer pieces, katev. This is an area where my handbags are sorely lacking. I need to work on this. :graucho:

View attachment 4320784

Omg that crab is so cute!!!

Yes, the fobs are so pricey now. I have a few leather fobs from Coach outlets I got maybe 10 years ago and they were maybe $10 and all stitched leather and have held up great. They both happen to match bags I have now.

Almost all my bags have really small d rings so the dogleash clips on the new bag charms won't even fit on the d rings :/

I got the tattoo FOS skull charm with gunmetal and it matches nothing I own at all but it was so cool I had to get it. I just got the beechwood sequin charm hoping to put on my Regina or Willis (above) but it looks bad on both and all my other complementary bags it does not fit on.

Reactions: katev
I still love this bag set so much! And the little crab is perfect with it! You have the nicest summer pieces, katev. This is an area where my handbags are sorely lacking. I need to work on this. :graucho:

Omg that crab is so cute!!!

Yes, the fobs are so pricey now. I have a few leather fobs from Coach outlets I got maybe 10 years ago and they were maybe $10 and all stitched leather and have held up great. They both happen to match bags I have now.

Almost all my bags have really small d rings so the dogleash clips on the new bag charms won't even fit on the d rings :/

I got the tattoo FOS skull charm with gunmetal and it matches nothing I own at all but it was so cool I had to get it. I just got the beechwood sequin charm hoping to put on my Regina or Willis (above) but it looks bad on both and all my other complementary bags it does not fit on.

Thanks! Sometimes I use pieces of Coach jewelry to decorate my bags. They are well-made and you can sometimes find the older styles on sale on ebay at a good price. One of my favorites is this starfish pendant that is decorating my denim rogue.

RogueDenimDecorated_008.jpg

RogueDenimDecorated_007.jpg

Another good reason to pick up charms that you like when you find them at a good price; the may great gifts! Sometimes I go to my fob box to select fobs that I have never used and I may give some of them away as stocking stuffers or other small gifts - and they are usually well-received.

Warning! Fob/charm collecting can quickly become addicting!

Yes, I save charms until the right bag comes along. I have more charms than bags!

I don't care for the dogleash clips on most charms because they tend to make them hang at an odd angle.

Many of my charms are attached to my bags with rings. Sometimes I go through a hardware ring, sometimes I encircle the entire strap or handle. Here are some examples.
The first one is an antiqued brass ring I got from a craft store. It opens like a binder ring.
The second one is also from a craft store.
The third one, the frog, is the type of D ring that Coach used on many vintage bags, including Willis. Mine was given to me by a Coach SA, but you can buy them on ebay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Two-Replac...efcase-/321098997426?var=&hash=item76c4e248fe
The fourth one, the fox, was purchased on ebay. It is called a spring gate ring. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Snap-Clip-...4341a193b:m:mORwWa2-p_uAAE_MWCcOptg:rk:1:pf:0 I'm not recommending this seller, just showing you what to look for.
The fifth one, the pink bag, uses the same D ring as the third.
The last one, the blue Rambler's Legacy, shows a binder ring, also called book ring, wrapped around the strap.
https://www.amazon.com/Richards-Com...60&sr=8-3&keywords=book+rings+1+1/2+inch&th=1

Attachments

• bleecker large flap rust019.jpg
    bleecker large flap rust019.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 1,047
  • edgepaint white mini Preston005 better.jpg
    edgepaint white mini Preston005 better.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 1,049
  • frog on biltmore 002.jpg
    frog on biltmore 002.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 1,055
  • Legacy duffle with fox fob004.jpg
    Legacy duffle with fox fob004.jpg