What to do when fake LV received as gift?

GGLOVER33

O.G.
Sep 20, 2007
I couldn’t believe it. Here’s briefly what happened. I did a favor for someone a few weeks back. I did it out of the kindness of my heart and did not expect anything in return. Well, today as a thank you to me the person gives me this horrendous fake LV key holder. Of course I said thank you and was very nice and appreciative for the thought, but WTH am I supposed to do with this thing. I wouldn’t think of using it and further more does she think I don’t know the difference or even worse does she think the LV I carry is fake too. I hope no one thinks I’m some ungrateful witch, cause I’m not. What should I do with this thing, throw it in an open field, dig a hole for it in my back yard. Suggestions anyone :shrugs:?

I'd accept it but would not use it. She was trying to show you she appreciated what you did. So it was a nice gesture. I sometimes think non-LV lovers don't think people can tell the difference in real or fake. Am I giving too much benefit of a doubt?

Thanks for the advice everyone. What sucks is that I see her almost everyday. I almost feel obligated to at least have this thing in my purse for a while. I wouldn’t want to make her feel bad.

I'd accept it but would not use it. She was trying to show you she appreciated what you did. So it was a nice gesture. I sometimes think non-LV lovers don't think people can tell the difference in real or fake. Am I giving too much benefit of a doubt?

Good advice, and no, I don't think you're giving too much benefit of the doubt. It's easy to forget that not everyone is a "purse person" like we are here on tPF. A lot of people don't know how to detect fakes or don't see what's so bad about them. I think in a situation like this, it's safe to assume that the person gave the OP this item as a gift, thinking that because she likes LV, she would like this item as well, not understanding the fake/genuine distinction. I would say, keep it, if she asks about it say you love the key ring you currently use but are using it for your spare set of keys or something like that. That's what I do with all the spare keyrings I somehow accumulate. That way, you don't hurt her feelings but you don't have to use the fake.

How would she not know it isn't fake? Do you waltz into Sears to buy a geniune fur coat? Or go downtown to the trunk of a Buick to buy a "new" dvd player?

I'd just destroy the item and throw it away.

Haha maybe to her she thought it was cute!! i would keep for a month or so then give it someone or donate it! dont throw it away ummm someone else might not care just need a keyholder!! but i understand i would just smile too and accept it! thats too funny!!

Gee COSMOS that sounded kinda harsh, i'm sure what she did was just an act of appreciation towards what the OP did for her. As others have already stated, not everyone in the world is like TPF. Destroying it and trashing the item seems harsh even though it is a fake. I think you should just whip it out once in a while when you see her. Maybe after that you can donate it like another one suggested. (: Just my $.02

^ i really fail to see how destroying it or throwing it out is considered "harsh", as opposed to giving it away? :confused1:

i am not suggesting the OP tell the friend it was a fake or anything like that. so why does it matter if the OP throws it out or gives it away? :shrugs: Either way she doesn't have it anymore. I suggested throwing it out because I could never imagine *KNOWINGLY* giving someone a fake item. :yucky:

i'm sure the OP's friend had good intentions..maybe she didn't realize that the keyholder she bought from Canal St/eBay/some BEX or whatever was actually fake. i agree that not everyone knows the diff between authentic & fake. i'm just saying i wouldn't want to give the fake item away to someone else because then that just perpetuates the whole thing of counterfeit products, which is *worse* than throwing it out IMO. also as i said before, if she gives it away or throws it out, she doesn't have it either way (friend doesn't see her using it). so what's the difference? The best thing to do IMO is to throw it out and if the friend asks about it, to say that she decided to give it to her friend/mom/sister as a gift because she already has so many keyholders or something like that.