What to do, what to do.....PLEASE need some advice!

I also find that sometimes certain bags just appeal to me more at a certain stage of my life, and it's nice to have a few for what suits me at the time.
With my first Kelly, I thought I made a mistake buying a Kelly too. I was advised to go with a 32 sellier and I am really much more of a retourne person but of course I didn't know it at the time. I was dealing with toddlers and it was just not easy. For years I didn't use my Kelly and didn't buy any more. As my kids got a little older I tried retourne Kellys and came to love them, and I thought I should sell my sellier. Eventually I decided to keep her because I didn't need the money urgently to fund another bag and I thought, why not have a sellier for the time when that is what i want to wear. And it's been great that way -- I don't use her as much as my other Kellys but there have been days when she was exactly what I wanted and needed, and I sure was glad to have her there. And yes, if I were to go out and buy one just like her today, I would certainly have to think twice at these prices.

I forgot to add -- that I am not someone with a big collection. I have a few mostly neutrals, I concentrate on one style, everything i have fits in my one closet. I have sold many bags that I was no longer using.

What a beautiful Kelly!

No question, I'd keep it. Your bag is timeless. It may not be a perfect "momming around" bag, or a perfect bag for right now, but it can certainly be put to good use as either a dressy bag *or* an upscale casual bag. AAN has made some great suggestions about a possible work bag (remember that our needs change over time - the bag may not be ideal today, but 5 year olds grow up quickly!!). I agree that the dangling strap, or wearing it semi-closed, will change things up and lend it a more casual air - especially since it is retourne, and not sellier (which would be naturally more formal/structured).

p.s. AAN - lovely!!

I agree with piaffe.....I wear all my Hermes with my jeans, and I am seldome dressed in anything but, including my Kellys ( even black box )

Suggestion: Keep your beautiful Kelly that you love and think about getting an additional Hermes that suits your lifestyle right now. Perhaps a Lindy?

I wouldn't sell her, you have the classic Kelly and I think you would regret parting with her. A bag like that is forever, and although you may feel you don't get much use out of her now, you will later, and have the rest of your life to enjoy her.

Also you said she makes you smile every time you look at her, that to me makes her well worth keeping:yes: In my opinion, half the fun comes from just owning such a beautiful bag!

That´s haaard. I can definitely relate as I usually carry shoulder bags/light hand carried bags so the Kelly def. doesn´t go with all my days. I think you should keep her, keep it for nights out with your man, girlfriends.

emanu, something else.....unless you already have a buyer standing by, the odds on your selling your pretty VL Kelly and getting anything near what you paid for her are slim.

Not to say you wouldn't with some patience, but from what I see a $6000+ Kelly ( and VL is around $7000+ now isn't it??) generally isn't bringing anywhere near retail on Ebay or in private sales. When people buy used Kellys they are looking for Hermes bargains:girlsigh:

I also have a VL black kelly with gold hardware and at first I felt it was too dressy but I have found that I am more willing to use her now on the weekends when wearing jeans and a sweater. I like the idea of tucking the flap inside. I also think the scarf as a shoulder strap can make the bag more casual-that is why I was thrilled when I saw the picture in the scarf book showing this. I posted about it a few days back and Piaffe posted some pictures of how it looks.

I would keep her. She is a true classic!

BTW, what is a
breloque charm??

Jag: Hi sweetie! Yes, I'm still a jeans and flip flops girl at heart
heart.gif
And you saw my face when I first saw this baby.....it was love at first sight. I love GH it is just so elegant. (and shhhh, just between you and me and the whole forum
graucho.gif
I have a gold w/gh clemence on the way) I really wish it was as easy as flipping a coin!

HELLO! WHAT!!!! OMG!!!! :nuts: COngratulations sweetie!!!!!!! Well then, can you keep both? I think once you have the gold you will find that you will wear both as different moods arise. I totally wear my VL kelly with jeans (as you have seen first hand) and will even wear her with flip flops. And now that you have gold clemence, you will be able to change it up. Go get that canvas strap and start putting some mileage on that gorgeous kelly of yours!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also have a VL black kelly with gold hardware and at first I felt it was too dressy but I have found that I am more willing to use her now on the weekends when wearing jeans and a sweater. I like the idea of tucking the flap inside. I also think the scarf as a shoulder strap can make the bag more casual-that is why I was thrilled when I saw the picture in the scarf book showing this. I posted about it a few days back and Piaffe posted some pictures of how it looks.

I would keep her. She is a true classic!

BTW, what is a
breloque charm??

Here is a picture of the Breloque charm. H online usually has it but I don't see it there today.

breloque6.jpg

emanu, something else.....unless you already have a buyer standing by, the odds on your selling your pretty VL Kelly and getting anything near what you paid for her are slim.

Not to say you wouldn't with some patience, but from what I see a $6000+ Kelly ( and VL is around $7000+ now isn't it??) generally isn't bringing anywhere near retail on Ebay or in private sales. When people buy used Kellys they are looking for Hermes bargains:girlsigh:
isus you made a very good point there.

Contrarian advice: Determine what you would get for it on ebay or through consignment (by doing ebay advanced search on ended sold listings) - lets say, 75% of what you paid for it - and ask yourself, would you buy it at this moment for that amount. If the answer is no, its time to sell. Because really, that is what it is costing you right now - not what you paid for it or what you may pay for it or something similar sometime in the distant future.

Personally, I think this particular bag while beautiful, is a little ponderous for a person with a more informal style. I personally would find it hard to wear, and I wear a suit most of time.

You might get much more use out of a togo kelly or birkin or even a big bolide or lindy.

Most importantly, dont feel bad whatever you decide to do. If you sell it and move on, its ok - there is no way to really know if you are going to use something until you actually have it - and if the inherent uncertainty in any decision keeps you from ever buying anything you think you like, thats no way to go through life.

Hi emanu1016! Hi Everyone! If your really want to part w/ her than do so... It's just hard to part w/ kellys and birkins I understand...

Find a bag that you will use more often.

Good luck!:heart:

Force yourself to take the bag out...

Honestly, sometimes I carry mine to the feed store. Sometimes I am wearing my barenia kelly with muck boots. Its not my favorite look, but it sorta works, and anyway, I dont care. I love that bag and it give me a great charge to carry it. I figure if she could talk, she would rather go to the feedstore with me in my muckboots and workshirt than sit home in her box.

Take your bag out a few times, then think some more.
It is retourne, so it could integrate nicely into your style, perhaps.
And a gummy bear wont kill it.

I only say this because it makes your heart sing to look at her. Try to take her out a little more...if you are "almost" there, then get the canvas strap.

lets see some action pics, baby!!!!

If this doesnt work....then sell her and dont look back!!!