What to do... metallic LD WOC or LD SLG?

zen1965

Alright fellas...
O.G.
Aug 28, 2012
Dear Dior enthusiasts, I need your help and guidance. At a recent pre-Christmas sale I bought three Dior items at a 20% discount: a Lady Dior Croisière WOC in metallic rose foncé, a Lady Dior voyageur wallet in black and a Lady Dior medium voyageur wallet in Tahiti bleu (pls excuse the rather poor photo quality):
Dior1.jpg Dior2.jpg Dior3.jpg Dior4.jpg

People were going mad due to the 20% discount, and there was no time to ponder or think. Thus, I grabbed all three items fully knowing that I would only keep one. Anything else would feel excessive to me (not a question of money, more a question of moderation / avoidance of overindulgence..).
My dilemma is as such: The red WOC is breathtakingly stunning, the attached pics do not do it justice. HOWEVER, I worry about two issues: 1) The bag is a formal evening bag, and at present I do not have all that many formal events to attend (however, this might change within the next couple of years so on this alone I could justify to myself keeping it). BUT 2) It is in metallic calfskin, and there seem to be issues with Dior metallic bags . Even now I can see a hint of rubbing on the edge on one side where the chain touches the leather. I feel for a bag of this calibre this is just not acceptable, and apparently there is nothing Dior can do about it. If I kept the bag it would probably mean that I would not use it due to fear of damage. :sad::sad::sad:
The two SLGs are beautiful as well but they do not make my heart sing the way the WOC does. This notwithstanding, I am considering to keep one of them because I would use this item. I prefer the size of the blue one since I own larger wallets (similar to the black one); at the same time I prefer black one colourwise. Sigh. First world problems.
What is your take on this? Many thanks in advance for any input.

Reactions: Stormy C
Wow I didn't know you could get these on discount! Is it a Dior event or some event exclusive to just your store?

I suggest returning the red wallet. Sounds like you won't get much use out of it. It is not so much that a wallet at this price should be super durable, because sometimes the most expensive leathers and finishes are the most fragile (that's actually luxury. You don't get that with cheaper brands). For instance, one of the limited edition La D de Dior watches has a crocodile leather strap that is completely gold, thanks to a 24K gold foil application. A single scratch on the strap will ruin the finish and take off some gold. Still, it's very luxurious, and it doesn't mean it is poorly made for a watch of that caliber.

It's more that you will avoid using it in case it gets damaged.

I say keep the other two. I know you only want to keep one, but seems like both have advantages and it's not easy to get these on sale. Consider it an investment, because you'll need a new wallet over time anyway, but if you keep both, then you won't need to replace your wallet anytime soon.

I would probably return the red bag and the black wallet.
The red bag stated for the reasons put into perfect expnanation and reasoning by averagejoe.
When it comes to SLG I thinks it is nice to go for color, and seeing a pop of color in my bag always lightens up the mood, but that is just me.
Good luck with your decision!

I vote to keep the red. It's stunning and it's 20% off! There will always be a last minute occasion... party, events etc which you can just take it out. Plus it will also look good with casual clothes. Think of it as already discounted.... just like a "second-hand" priced bag and that way you won't "baby" it as much. By the way.... I do love the red one!

I have to agree with Rasperrypink, I vote to keep the red.

When it comes to certain things, (for all of us in this forum, clearly it is purses) when you have the opportunity to buy something that just makes you breathless with how much you love it - that is the one you keep.
It may not be advice as practical as others have volunteered, but I love the feeling of going weak at the knees every time I see or use my favourite bags.
Dopamine doesn't lie! ;) Good luck with your choice.

Thank you all so much for your thoughtful responses!
I am still pondering what to do... (silly me, I know). At long last, I at least made up my mind about the black wallet. This one will be returned. The other two - I do not know yet. I will keep you posted.

Another thing that came to my mind (you can tell I am feeling with you here...):
While I am all for using and loving things and not babying them I think in this case the material makes the difference.
I ince saw a lady with a well-loved Kelly that was worn to a point where it was beyond a trip to the spa. But it was regular leather. Imo patent can look cheap when showing signs of use, which might be the case with this certain style.
So I repeat my vote for the blue wallet, plus I just love the canage pattern on it...

That red is stunning but I think you should return it. In a year or two when the finish is scratched or fading you'll be very frustrated. The blue is a gorgeous pop of color and will wear much better over time.

Again, many thanks for all your input as well as apologies for responding late.
I do hope you had a merry Christmas...
Xmas16.jpg
... and are looking forward to a great 2017.
As to my decision regarding the three SLGs, I mulled over your various points of view until after Christmas. Seriously considering the blue wallet which got most votes. In the end however, I felt this was the kind of purchase where I had to follow my heart. And thus, I kept the red bag and returned the wallets. I will take her to the opera (which I fairly regularly attend) and similar "non-rowdy" events and enjoy her as long as she will last (hopefully quite some time).

Reactions: averagejoe