What to do in this situation

ibezj

Nov 3, 2008
I recently purchased a bag and it is what I have been looking for for a while. I received it and found that there are fingernail scratches on it that were not described in the listing. (I know Chanel lambskin is delicate but these indentations look like they should definitely be mentioned because they are obvious).

The seller suggested that I should take it to Chanel and see if anything can be done. I know even if they can get rid of it, repairs will cost at least a hundred, likely more. What should I do in this case? I don't want to be a difficult buyer but I was surprised by the marks.

I am at a loss for how to proceed. Thanks for reading and in advance for any suggestions.

You can either return it and ask for a full refund or keep it and get a partial refund. If the seller is uncooperative, you can file a SNAD case with ebay.

If you know exactly the cost for the repairs, you can ask for a partial refund that reflects the cost.

HTH!

I would do 1 of 2 things....
1. See if you can return it. A SNAD maybe be possible, but I haven't seen the listing.
2. Take it to Chanel and see how much it would be to repiar it--Then ask for a credit.

LOOKS LIKE crazzee_shopper beat me in my reply:biggrin:--Great minds think a like LOL

Last edited:
Thanks for your responses. I like the bag and would keep it. I would be ok with a partial but I don't know how to approach the seller without coming across as a scammer. I don't want her to think that I am finding problems just to get a refund, you know? I just didn't expect a flaw like that to be left out of the listing. At this point I feel like maybe I should just cut my losses and let it go...but I feel like if there's a time to do anything about it, it is now.

Thanks for your responses. I like the bag and would keep it. I would be ok with a partial but I don't know how to approach the seller without coming across as a scammer. I don't want her to think that I am finding problems just to get a refund, you know? I just didn't expect a flaw like that to be left out of the listing. At this point I feel like maybe I should just cut my losses and let it go...but I feel like if there's a time to do anything about it, it is now.

If it is really bugging you I would address the situation and see what she says. Maybe she will be reasonable. She atleast offered you a suggestion so it isn't like she is ignoring you. Bottom line it doesn't hurt to ask. However if you have a Chanel retailer close I would see what they rec first then you will know what you are looking at.

I think getting a quote from Chanel and seeing if the seller will reimburse you is a great idea! That way you have the bag you like and bought but don't have to shell out more money to get it touched up.

If the seller disagrees, I would file a SNAD because it's unfair to you if there was no indication of these marks and they are present.

Aaaaand this is why I trim my nails all the time. ;)

Good luck!

Find out what the cost is to repair the bag ..let your seller know this

and see if they will go along with reimbursing you.. if not , then would file

a SNAD and just move on.. if it's not what you want and you won't be happy

what's the point, you will find the bag again in the condition that it should be..

Agree with what the others have said. If you really love the bag, I think a partial refund is completely warranted but try to talk to Chanel and see what the costs would be to repair so you can ask for a refund that is in line with that. Just be polite and tell the seller your concerns. Some sellers are very understanding...always worth a shot. :yes:

I understand your disappointment. Keep in mind, sometimes sending your bag to Chanel isn't the best option if the scratches aren't really bad. I know some Tpfrs have posts about their bag coming back worse after repairs.

Everyone has given good advice.... did you buy the bag NWT or was it advertised as used? Personally, when I see used, I expect some marks on the leather, especially lambskin.... they are unavoidable.

Thanks everyone. I ended up getting a quote from Chanel regarding the leather repairs and the seller offered to pay about a third of the repair costs. I took it as she offered to take it back and has been nothing but nice this whole time.

Thithi: the bag was advertised as being in MINT condition in spite of being used only once? (can't remember the exact number she mentioned, one or two though). Described as being flawless in appearance. I realize that lambskin is delicate but these fingernail scratches are pretty obvious and there are some flaws that I didn't mention (like penmark on the inside that I plan to take care of myself...does anyone know how to remove penmarks?).

Thanks again everyone. You all have been :angel:

I understand your disappointment. Keep in mind, sometimes sending your bag to Chanel isn't the best option if the scratches aren't really bad. I know some Tpfrs have posts about their bag coming back worse after repairs.

That is a big concern that I would have.. if the bag does not

comeback from Chanel to your liking.. you cannot send the bag back to

the seller..so if you can live with a partial refund and hope that the

bag will look good that is a possibility.. for me personally, would send

the bag back and find it in the condition that I would want it to be