Travel What to do in Napa Valley area if it's raining?

pcil

Living life to the fullest
O.G.
Oct 20, 2008
I'm planning to go to Napa area this weekend with my BF to try the mud bath in Calistoga. However, we would also like to visit 2-3 wineries there. Unfortunately, it would be raining most of the day this weekend. Does anyone has suggestions on what we could do if it's raining? I don't think we can do wine tours since most of those tours are outdoors (except Artesa, but we've been there couple months ago).

Thanks!

Oh what's rain gonna do to you? :upsidedown: Bring an umbrella and you'll be fine!! :yes:

You can still visit wineries and taste their wines in their wine tasting rooms. Some wineries' tours are completely inside, with access to their caves from their tasting rooms. Google a few.

There is a great outlet mall in Napa (city) http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp?id=25. St. Helena has the cutest downtown with shops to peruse. Foot Candy is my favorite! :drool: http://www.footcandyshoes.com/istar.asp?a=30

Plus Napa has a huge number of fabulous restaurants. Try Ad Hoc in Yountville (it's a Thomas Keller restaurant), or Mustard's Grill in Napa or the bar at Auberge du Soleil in Rutherford off the Silverado Trail or the Rutherford Grill in Rutherford off 29 or Cindy's Backstreet Kitchen in St. Helena for more casual places.

The Martini House
or Greystone (CIA) or Meadowood all in St. Helena are great for a fancier setting. French Laundry in Yountville is one of the best rated restaurants in the US but you usually have to make reservations 3 months in advance.

Since it is a holiday weekend, make sure you call before or use Opentable.com to make reservations.

Have fun!

Oh what's rain gonna do to you? :upsidedown: Bring an umbrella and you'll be fine!! :yes:

You can still visit wineries and taste their wines in their wine tasting rooms. Some wineries' tours are completely inside, with access to their caves from their tasting rooms. Google a few.

There is a great outlet mall in Napa (city) http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp?id=25. St. Helena has the cutest downtown with shops to peruse. Foot Candy is my favorite! :drool: http://www.footcandyshoes.com/istar.asp?a=30

Plus Napa has a huge number of fabulous restaurants. Try Ad Hoc in Yountville (it's a Thomas Keller restaurant), or Mustard's Grill in Napa or the bar at Auberge du Soleil in Rutherford off the Silverado Trail or the Rutherford Grill in Rutherford off 29 or Cindy's Backstreet Kitchen in St. Helena for more casual places.

The Martini House
or Greystone (CIA) or Meadowood all in St. Helena are great for a fancier setting. French Laundry in Yountville is one of the best rated restaurants in the US but you usually have to make reservations 3 months in advance.

Since it is a holiday weekend, make sure you call before or use Opentable.com to make reservations.

Have fun!
Oh what's rain gonna do to you?:roflmfao:

We live in rain 8 months out of the year. Can you imagine:sweatdrop:
We did the Napa Valley Wine Train! It was a blast!

Thanks!! I didn't know that they have wineries tours indoor. I went to several tours and all of them are outdoors except for Artesa. I found this new place while googling and it looks really nice. Castello di Amorosa. Anyone been there yet?

:nogood: never heard of that winery (and I go to Napa a ton!!)

So many have indoor cave tours/tastings! Hmmm. Here's a list of some of my favorite wineries if you'd like. Perhaps you can call them to inquire about their tours.

Frog's Leap
Chateau Montelena
Robert Sinsky
Trefethen
Miner Family
Terra Valentine
Barnett
Keenan
Pride
Sherwin Family
Schweiger
Domaine Chandon, Domaine Carneros, Mumm, Schramsburg, Gloria Ferrer (all sparkling wines!)

Yeah, I can't find much info about Castello di Amorosa as well. Anyways, wow, you have a long list!! I've read about Domaine Chandon and Mumm and I am planning to visit those 2 wineries. From all those, which one do you think have the best views?

Auberge du Soleil, definitely has fantastic views west over the Valley but it's not a winery.

Ones on the eastern slope of Spring Mountain (Schweiger, Barnett and Keenan) have nice valley views. Pride is on somewhat of a peak of Spring Mountain so that's nice too.

Gloria Ferrer, Domaine Carneros, and Mumm have the best views for sparkling wine.

Frog's Leap is on the valley floor and doesn't have the sweeping views, but it's a super-cool winery that operates on "green" principles - very cool! :tup:

Thanks so much!!! This would help a lot!

I called Frog's Leap earlier today to reserve for tour and tasting, but they're fully booked this Sat :crybaby:

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear this about Frog's Leap. :sad: Busy holiday weekend, I guess.

Definitely call each one you want to go to to see if there's room. For the ones on Spring Mountain, reservations are required for tastings.

Good luck!

Yeah, I forgot that it's also president's day weekend and lots of people have long weekend.

Anyway, I decided to still make a stop at Frog's Leap because I've heard so many good things about it. I'll also visit Mumm and Domaine Chandon (we both love sparkling wine).

We're gonna try Cindy's backstreet kitchen, Taylor's Automatic Refresher and a valentine's dinner @ Redd. We're also planning to make a stop at Bouchon Bakery on the way home. I hope it would be blast!

Thanks everyone for your input!

Yeah, I forgot that it's also president's day weekend and lots of people have long weekend.

Anyway, I decided to still make a stop at Frog's Leap because I've heard so many good things about it. I'll also visit Mumm and Domaine Chandon (we both love sparkling wine).

We're gonna try Cindy's backstreet kitchen, Taylor's Automatic Refresher and a valentine's dinner @ Redd. We're also planning to make a stop at Bouchon Bakery on the way home. I hope it would be blast!

Thanks everyone for your input!

:yahoo: Yay!! Sounds like a great itinerary! Hope you and BF enjoy your weekend!! :heart: