What to do if seller is harrassing you?

cutex0r

Sep 14, 2008
Everyone, I recently purchased a bag on the internet that turned out to be a fake. As a result of filing a chargeback and trying to resend the purse to the seller, the seller started sending me hostile emails. I would like to be able to report her for some form of harrassment...I don't like waking up every morning to an email from an immature sorority girl in college. Ideas? I initially had her gmail account but the latest email she happened to send with her school email. I am looking through the school's website to see if there's any action I can take. Thanks.

(from me)

I sent you a message today about returning the purseh. Given our messaging prior to the purchase, I understood you had the item in your possession and only spent $10 usps priority mail to send it from northern virginia. Please send me your address so I can return this item as soon as possible.

(from her)
I am not located in northern Virginia, and when I sent it out the lock was fully functional. I felt the material and they both felt fine to me, I was very happy with how nice the leather was actually. You have a point with the pixels, I'm not sure why I thought that was the effect of hand painting. Given that you are returning the item I will be refunding you $50.

(from me)
please send me your address so i can return the item.

(from her)
You do understand you will be receiving $50 in return?

(from me)
I will be mediating the process using my credit card company, who has purchase protection on all my purchases. Please give me your address.

(from her)
I will give it to you once I see pictures that the bag is still in pristine condition. It's fine if pictures don't pick up the pixelation, but I don't want to receive a junked bag.

(from her, after I sent her pictures)
The lock still *looks* fully functional, have you not been using it correctly? And are you truly sure the handle is not leather? I can't believe the person who sold it to me would lie to me. Given your absolutely hostile intentions in attempting to filing a dispute before I had time to get back to you, I am really not inclined to refund your money. You come out of nowhere after 90+ days of purchase claiming all sorts of things are wrong -- many would say this is a buyer's scam.

(about a week later...)
Hello,

I've filed a chargeback for the item in dispute, and it's listed on Paypal. If you could please send me a return address, or post your return address on the paypal dispute, this issue can be solved easily. Non-compliance or lack of communication on your part only weakens any attempts to argue your side.

Thanks

(from her)
Thank you for assuming the world revolves around you. I just got back from a business trip. I thought about the issue and decided that I would honor my original response, even though the likelihood of this being buyer's fraud is high. I will also file a claim if the bag arrives damaged in any form. My address is:

(from her, today)
Please learn to read. It might help you.

I should add though, that she initially lied when I tried to return the item, though when I bought it, she was open about being in VA. She was still in VA--so she lied. Also, the latest email, she sent as a student in VA. So...she's not going on these "business trips." :smile:

Additional information

1) how do you know the purse is fake
2) how long ago was this transaction? [you say it is pulled, she states it was 90+ days ago]

Last, if she is a student she could still have a job and go on a business trip. Since spring breaks are this month and last month, it is again possible that she was not on campus.

***Maybe it is just me, but I don't read anything hostile in her posts. As a seller I would be leery if the transaction was more than 90+ days ago and I had no reason to believe the bag is fake (i.e. she bought it from a friend and trusted that the person sold it to her bought it from a store)

Last edited:
Okay, I re-read and the last line (which I must have glazed over before) is rude, but not hostile or harassing.

However, again I would like to know how you determined the bag was fake and if the transaction was more than 90 days ago.

It sounds to me like you are the one who initiated the communications with the seller. If she is simply responding to emails that you send her, she is not harassing you. She has a responsibility to respond to emails she receives as a seller.

I think *bay automatically removes completed listings after 90 days (someone correct me if I'm wrong), which would explain why the link to your bag no longer works.

From the seller's point of view I can see why she's a little stand-offish to begin with; if someone waited 90 days to initiate a return on an item I would be hesitant as well. (Most regular stores don't even accept returns past the 60 day mark.)

Her last few responses are rude and uncalled for. And I don't mean to offend you by this, but "Non-compliance or lack of communication on your part only weakens any attempts to argue your side" comes across as hostile to me. She obviously wasn't aware that it was fake and probably presumed you were happy with the purchase since it has been 90+ days, so telling her that not complying with your demands weakens her case could have agitated her.

I hope you get all of this worked out, though. :smile:

Just wanted to say that here was a scam on here about a supposed student seller in Virginia who was sending out lots of fake stuff (or maybe just collecting $$ and not sending anything?) from her dorm room. They could not track her down except to a campus dorm room address; a couple of people were victimized. Can you try to go through the old threads here and see if you can find this maybe? Or does anyone remember?