What to do? I think I got scammed

BTBF

O.G.
Feb 11, 2006
I sold a jacket recently and buyer said it had an odor, bad odor. My heart is broken right now because I think I smell a scam. I told the buyer to send it back to me.I hope the buyer will send the exact jacket i sent. I hope buyer is just having buyer remorse and not trying to steal my jacket.

Have anyone been in this situation before and how did you deal with it?

Thanks.

There isn't much you can do. It's your word against your buyer's. Hopefully, you'll get your jacket back and it will be in the same condition as you sent it. Regardless, you will be required to give a refund. If the buyer scams you, you can report her to ebay and Internet crimes, but you won't see any justice. If she has a pattern of this type of behavior, she might eventually get caught.

Most people aren't scammers, so I wouldn't worry much.

I think you're premature in worrying.

The buyer might decide to keep the jacket and may have been testing you to see if you'd offer a partial. With the "return for refund" response, she may just keep it.

Or maybe she already shipped it back and you'll need to wait to get it, see the condition and take it from there.

Reactions: mrsinsyder
I think you're premature in worrying.

The buyer might decide to keep the jacket and may have been testing you to see if you'd offer a partial. With the "return for refund" response, she may just keep it.

Or maybe she already shipped it back and you'll need to wait to get it, see the condition and take it from there.
Agree; don't stress yourself unnecessarily.

Maybe the jacket did have an odor. Usually people don't know what their own houses smell like because they're used to the smell. Sometimes those smells are disagreeable to others. Other times people just don't like the smell of something a jacket is comprised of (ie leather dyes, mohair, vinyl, you name it). OTOH, maybe it didn't have an odor and the buyer is just looking for an excuse to return.

I wouldn't worry about it too much unless and until you get something back that is other than the jacket in the same condition you sent it.

Maybe the jacket did have an odor. Usually people don't know what their own houses smell like because they're used to the smell. Sometimes those smells are disagreeable to others. Other times people just don't like the smell of something a jacket is comprised of (ie leather dyes, mohair, vinyl, you name it). OTOH, maybe it didn't have an odor and the buyer is just looking for an excuse to return.

I wouldn't worry about it too much unless and until you get something back that is other than the jacket in the same condition you sent it.

+1

I sold a jacket recently and buyer said it had an odor, bad odor. My heart is broken right now because I think I smell a scam. I told the buyer to send it back to me.I hope the buyer will send the exact jacket i sent. I hope buyer is just having buyer remorse and not trying to steal my jacket.

Have anyone been in this situation before and how did you deal with it?

Thanks.

Chances are, you'll have to eat it. Ebay is becoming the go to place for cons. I just had a customer return items they claim was defective. What they sent was old junk with some items not even mine. I took pictures and filed a report against the buyer for abusing the return policy. Ebay ruled against me claiming their "sorry the item returned was not in original condition, but we're not responsible for that". Excuse me? The items where NOT returned, I got old junk and items I have never sold. Did not matter. Ebay claimed that "some sellers" take numerous pictures of other products claiming they didn't get their product returned..... In other words, my $112,000/year in sales and 10 year history didn't mean a thing to Ebay, while the buyer with 35 transactions over 5 years was found to be a Saint. I closed my Ebay store the same day.I had to refund the 809.00 and keep the customers junk they bought from someone else.

I agree. I purchased a pre loved handbag a few years ago and I specifically asked her before I purchased it if there were any odors. She said no. When I received it it reeked of very strong old lady perfume. I didn`t return it but I wish I had. I took about 6 months of me trying every method I had found on the internet to remove the smell.

I agree. I purchased a pre loved handbag a few years ago and I specifically asked her before I purchased it if there were any odors. She said no. When I received it it reeked of very strong old lady perfume. I didn`t return it but I wish I had. I took about 6 months of me trying every method I had found on the internet to remove the smell.
Perfume is the worst! Harder to get rid of than smoke. How did you get rid of it? I've got a few items now sitting on my patio because they smell too bad to be in the house.

Reactions: bernz84