What to do about a crazy buyer.

bliss_cathy

Jan 30, 2014
Hello,

I've just had the weirdest experience.

I have an item for sale with a Best offer Buy it Now at $1150.

I'd turned down an offer if $800 and got an offer of $700 from a crazy buyer who I will call Ted.

I countered Ted at $900, to which he emailed and begged me to accept $800. I said I'd already turned down $800, so no.

Then I was driving and didn't check my emails for an hour.

I received 8 emails in that time.

He sent three more asking me to accept $800 then $825.

Then he turned down my counteroffer and offered $825.

Two more emails asking me to accept $825.

Then he sent two more emails saying he would buy it at $900.

Then an email from ebay saying my item had been purchased at $1150 (the BN price).

Then he left positive feedback for the transaction.

OMG.

I emailed him and said, just back track a second, I've just received about 8 emails and have no idea what has happened.

He said he panicked and really wanted it at $900 so hit the Buy It Now.

I said, well ebay is now going to chase me for the FVF for $1150 so I need to cancel the transaction and he can make a decision if he wants to buy it for $900.

Then I sent him the item cancellation.

Anyhow, after that, he's sent me more emails asking me to accept $825 and now $800. To which I have said, no the item is no longer available I've been patient enough, that's it.

So I've blocked him.

So my questions are:

How can I re list the item again to new buyers again and not look odd having positive feedback already for an item I am currently selling?

What if Ted then goes and buys it from another account and potentially ruins the listing again despite being blocked? What if he leaves negative feedback then?

Should I take the listing down for a month or two and re list is later hoping he's gone away?

I would appreciate some advice on what to do with these unpredictable buyers.

Thanks heaps.

killerlife

O.G.
Feb 9, 2006
What a freak. I'd just re-list it, but be sure to check the Immediate Payment Required box, so that people can't BIN without paying right then and there. Also, if you're worried about his feedback already left, you can write in the description "item is being re-listed due to a non-paying bidder".

BeenBurned

Coach, Dooney, Uggs
Authenticator
O.G.
Feb 25, 2007
East Coast, USA
Since you already have his name and address, if he uses another account and the buyer is someone in the same general vicinity of where this buyer lives, use the report button to report an unwelcome bidder using a second account after being blocked. I would also recommend calling to report it.

I think your first mistake was in not BBL'ing him after the first 3 messages! Usually, someone who's that persistent in wanting a lower price will find another way of getting a partial refund, filing a dispute or otherwise being a PITA.

I agree with the poster who suggested relisting with IPR (immediate payment required) and omit the best offer option.

bliss_cathy

Jan 30, 2014
Thanks for the replies. It's certainly odd behavior.

Weirdly enough he wrote, 'great delivery' in his feedback as well. I'm worried he's a bit unbalanced.

So if I re list and do an automatic buy it now, and write something along the lines of 'being relisted as buyer unfortunately did not pay' even though he wrote I delivered it, do you think people would understand?

Alternatively if I leave it a couple weeks off the market and re list it later, do you think I still need to write being re listed as last buyer did not pay, even if his feedback moves a few down the list...or will people still notice that feedback and need an explanation?

I find it so odd that he left feedback. The whole situation was so bizarre.

It's a shame I was driving for the 8 email frenzy as I hopefully could have blocked him and prevented him from hitting the buy it now button. I had no idea he was going so nuts! I should have blocked him as bb mentioned when he started getting persistent, I didn't think someone would get so unstable. Lesson learnt.

Last edited:

IrisCole

O.G.
Dec 28, 2007
Michigan
www.nikitajade.etsy.com
Thanks for the replies. It's certainly odd behavior.

Weirdly enough he wrote, 'great delivery' in his feedback as well. I'm worried he's a bit unbalanced.

So if I re list and do an automatic buy it now, and write something along the lines of 'being relisted as buyer unfortunately did not pay' even though he wrote I delivered it, do you think people would understand?

Alternatively if I leave it a couple weeks off the market and re list it later, do you think I still need to write being re listed as last buyer did not pay, even if his feedback moves a few down the list...or will people still notice that feedback and need an explanation?

I find it so odd that he left feedback. The whole situation was so bizarre.

It's a shame I was driving for the 8 email frenzy as I hopefully could have blocked him and prevented him from hitting the buy it now button. I had no idea he was going so nuts! I should have blocked him as bb mentioned when he started getting persistent, I didn't think someone would get so unstable. Lesson learnt.
If he didn't pay, you should be able to call eBay and ask them to remove the feedback.