Travel Japan!

Was in Japan recently and shopping was really fantastic! I second Mudodabolsa's suggestions and here are some other suggestions:

- Cosmetics. Didn't get any, but there is a wide array to select from at many different price points. The Shiseido boutique in Ginza might be a good starting point.

- The Japanese make beautiful prints, and they have fabrics used for wrapping lunch boxes (there is a name for it, but can't recall now) which can be used for decoration instead. There is a beautiful shop near the temple in Asakusa that offers a wide variety of different / modern designs to select from.

- In Kyoto there is a market that is open only one Saturday a month. If your trip coincides with the market, please do not miss it! There are many vintage traditional yukata to select from, and at very reasonable prices. The market also sells vintage / antique glassware and other knick knacks that would be meaningful reminders of your trip.

- Kyoto again. There are many shops selling beautiful tea cups, bowls and other glassware, so take the time to browse if you enjoy this sort of thing!

Hope this is helpful! Have fun on your trip.
We are going to be in Kyoto for a week i had seen the market was there during our stay will definatly check it out we went Japan last year but mostly sightseeing and retro game shopping for my boys this year my daughter and i will shop..I wanted a Samantha Verasa bag didnt get one will this time.

Anyone done any jewellry shopping id like a charm bracelet with tokyo tower temples any thing like that.Many years ago i spent several months in Akasaka as a student i saw a beautiful bracelet at hotel near where i stayed but could not afford it.I dream of one as a trip souvenir .Will be in Kyoto and Hokkaido as well hope to find one.

hey guys I plan on going to japan this month of april 11- 16 2016.

I have no clue where to stay (city locations) and what to do as well as what to avoid.
all I know is to stay away from red light districts but I don't know which cities those are.

what should I bring or not bring?
how should I prepare?

any advice or help is appreciated.

It depends on what sights you want to see but staying near any of the stations on the Yamanote line are usually pretty convenient if you are getting a JR pass - Shibuya, Shinjuku, etc.

You can get pretty much anything you may need in Japan so I can't think of anything you would need to specifically bring with you:smile:

You may be able to catch the cherry blossoms around that time as well!

I was a first time visitor to Tokyo in Sept (from US). We stayed at the Park Hyatt and found it a good base (15 min walk from transport station) and we didn't run into anything seedy. We walked all around Shunjuku, Shibuya and Akihabara ... It was all amazing!

I heard the park hyatt is pricey. did you get a deal?
Nope! Lol - it was very pricey. But we are huge Lost in Translation fans and figured this might be our only trip to Tokyo so we might as well save and stay at the place we wanted. I can say that it was worth it ... Best service I have ever had anywhere. Food was great, gym and spa were fantastic ... And the location, for us, was convenient - just a 10-15 minute walk to the train station.

I've always stayed near Shinjuku station at Keio plaza. It's one of the main train hub so really easy to go anywhere. It's also near the business area so more quiet at night but very safe. Generally, rooms are smaller unless you stay at a Western-styled hotel.

I just came back from Japan last week and stayed in Ginza. It was my first visit and the location was perfect as close to the main shopping strips in the area. Designer heaven and plenty of department stores. Was a quick train trip to Shinjuku as well. We stayed at Mercure Hotel which is very basic, but we had limited time when arranging and a lot of hotels were booked out at that time.

how was the weather?

we are leaving today. yay!

I was not able to get the wifi in time. I hope I can get it there same day from a vendor. any advice on how to search for one once we get there?