Travel Japan!

What kind of shopping do you want to do? Ginza is full of department stores and designer boutiques. Harajuku is more of a younger shopping area with a lot of cheaper clothes on Take****a Dori. Shibuya is a mix of both.
I go once a year to Tokyo and stay in Shinjuku at the Sunroute hotel. It's across the street from the train station so it's easy to get places.
I would recommend you stay at a city on the Yamanote train line because it would make it easier to travel to most of the popular places in Tokyo. The line is a circle that goes to Shibuya, Shinjuku, Harajuku, Ikebukuro, Ueno and more.

Places I recommend:
Asakusa: Sensoji Temple
Ueno: Ueno Zoo and Ameyokocho
Odaiba: Divercity (Giant Gundam statue)
Tokyo Station: Ramen alley, Antique flea market across the street only on the first Sunday of the month

Shopping is pretty much everywhere so it really depends what you are looking for.
Makes me think of where I want to go lol
I'll be there in a week!
Hi! Thanks so much!
I really want some cheap clothes shopping and some luxury bag shopping most. :P I heard Ginza is good for places like LV and Chanel, which I will definitely want to go to. My friend also told me about the Shibuya 109? I would like to go there too! :biggrin:

Hi! Thanks so much!

I really want some cheap clothes shopping and some luxury bag shopping most. :P I heard Ginza is good for places like LV and Chanel, which I will definitely want to go to. My friend also told me about the Shibuya 109? I would like to go there too! :biggrin:

I think they just opened a new LV store in Ginza, they were building it when I was there in October.
They have a big LV and Chanel in Omotesando, 5 mins away from Harajuku. I think LV is like 5 floors? It was the biggest one I've ever been too.
Shibuya 109 is full of women's clothes but it really depends what you mean by cheap clothes. I don't really go there because a lot of brands there are expensive for being trendy. Id rather spend more for classics that I can keep longer.
Uniqlo and GU are on the cheaper end, around H&M and Forever 21 price points. Uniqlo is everywhere. There is a big GU in Ginza. They probably have more stores but I've only seen GU in Ginza and Ikebukuro but I think they were gonna open one in Shinjuku.
Alta is another place that has more affordable clothes. They have an Alta in Shinjuku and Ikebukuro. It's like a cheaper version of 109, but the clothes are still trendy.
Take****a Dori in Harajuku is a good place for cheap clothes but a lot of it is for younger girls. I went last year and didn't find anything because I felt everything was too young for my style. But a lot of it is 2000円 or less, about $20. And you have to try the crepes in Harajuku! They are delicious! And check out the 100円 store in Take****a Dori! I'm always amazed what they sell for $1 and sometimes I find cute souvenirs for friends.

Hi everyone!

So as some of you may know, my husband and I live in South Korea with his family. My mum is coming to visit me soon and because Korea is so close to Japan, we decided we should go! Only problem is, I have never been to Japan, so I could really use some suggestions on where to stay, and what to do while we're there.

We will only be going to Tokyo because we won't stay more than a week. I know Tokyo is very big, and all of my friends keep saying I have to visit Ginza, Shibuya, and Harajuku, but I just don't know what those places have to offer. Does anybody have any recommendations of a hotel where we should stay in Tokyo or something we should do?

Thank you for your time! :P
Tokyo Disney Disney Sea if you love Disney its beautiful .Akasaka is a lovely area I used to live there. More upscale hotels but very safe area .New Otani Hotel Prince Hotel. Akasaka Toyku Hotel is a big hotel they are very nice at the tour desk .Airport bus stops here from Narita Airport.Tokyo Ginza very expensive for luxury brands .

Shinjuku is my favorite part of Tokyo to stay in. Takashimaya shopping centre is a good location for all kinds of shopping. The best teppanyaki I had in Tokyo was at the restaurant Horikawa, in the Hotel Century Southern Tower building. As for the attractions, the waterbus trip around Tokyo is a lovely way of spending an hour or so and lets you travel to different interesting points in the city in a less conventional way.

Sensoji shrine is a must, but it is crazy busy and crowded. I enjoy wandering the nearby gardens and small streets the most. Tokyo also has wonderful parks, Shinjuku Gyoen is an oasis.

Tokyo in general is a great city and it makes you want to go back again and again and again!:smile:

Hey guys! I'm going to Japan in a few weeks (for my honeymoon!) and wondering what you recommend on buying to bring home. At the moment my list consists of a kimono (preferably silk, vintage). What else do you suggest as a unique purchase that I will love forever (unlike, for example a snow globe lol).

For reference, I'm going to Tokyo and Osaka, with day trips to Mt Fuji, Kyoto, etc.
I'm obsessed with clothing, and of course love designer shoes and handbags, but read on the other thread that there's not point buying European designers in Japan.
Also, I'm probably Japanese sized in terms of height (5ft), but not size (a curvy US2-4)

Let me know if you have any suggestions!!:biggrin:

Two words: Tokyo Hands. Not fancy things but floors and floors of everything you never knew you wanted to buy and more. I'm talking like the cutest office supplies and housewares on the planet. Except they have everything.

Really all 100 yen stores are awesome. Japanese packaging and design for the simplest things are the best. I think one of my favorite Japanese purchases is a bottle of nail polish remover I got at a 7-11 because it's so damn cute.

And go designer shopping even if you don't buy anything because customer service in Japan is unparalleled and something you need to experience. Go to Isetan and Mitsukoshi and just try on clothes.

Also even the stores that exist all over the world have some pretty unique, cooler things than what we get in the U.S. (not sure where you live), for my taste at least. I got some pieces at Opening Ceremony in Tokyo that could be considered more modern or even "wacky" by some people. Fashion tastes are less conservative there than even in places like NYC.

I went to town shopping in Tokyo. The tax rebate program at the department stores is really easy and quick too, just make sure to have your passport. Luckily I was there for work and we had sea containers to send back so I may have snuck a trunk full of my personal shopping... :whistle:

Was in Japan recently and shopping was really fantastic! I second Mudodabolsa's suggestions and here are some other suggestions:

- Cosmetics. Didn't get any, but there is a wide array to select from at many different price points. The Shiseido boutique in Ginza might be a good starting point.

- The Japanese make beautiful prints, and they have fabrics used for wrapping lunch boxes (there is a name for it, but can't recall now) which can be used for decoration instead. There is a beautiful shop near the temple in Asakusa that offers a wide variety of different / modern designs to select from.

- In Kyoto there is a market that is open only one Saturday a month. If your trip coincides with the market, please do not miss it! There are many vintage traditional yukata to select from, and at very reasonable prices. The market also sells vintage / antique glassware and other knick knacks that would be meaningful reminders of your trip.

- Kyoto again. There are many shops selling beautiful tea cups, bowls and other glassware, so take the time to browse if you enjoy this sort of thing!

Hope this is helpful! Have fun on your trip.

Cosmetics! The brand "Three" is really great! For sale only in Japan, Taiwan and Thailand. Their foundation is really breathable and look really natural...

I'd personally go for the JDM (Japanese Domestic Model) watches from Seiko. They are sensational time pieces.

I am heading to Osaka with the family this May...can't wait.

I recommend checking out the Japanese drugstores, they sell a huge array of makeup. Personal faves : cheap face masks, dollywink eye makeup and sunscreen

As for designer stuff, commes des garçons is really affordable in jp. So is issey miyake

Definitely spend a night food tripping along dotonburi in osaka! Ichiran ramen, osaka osho gyoza, matsusaka beef and king crab!!! Visit Don Quixote for snacks to bring home-flavorerd kitkats, tiramisu chocolate covered almonds, royce chocolates, etc.

Japanese cosmetics, hada labo is a great brand, read up on the different varieties for one that suits your skin type. Matsumoto kiyoshi are huge drugstores everywhere for all kinda of cosmetics-i love dolly wink mascaras and liquid eyeliner!

Issey Miyake baobao bags are popular but its sold by lottery so you need to be at the shop at opening. You can check on MCM, there's a boutique in Ginza.

Also dropby Uniqlo for quality basics :smile: