What to buy and what color?

India

O.G.
Aug 30, 2007
The end of Sept, I have a "big" birthday - the over-the-hill 65th (yes, I DO have my Medicare card and am deluged with junk mail daily for incontinence aids, hearing aids, long-term care insur etc - SO depressing). I have also now lost 58 pounds and last week actually bought two pair of size 8 pants. So a celebration (by me!) is in order. The only problem is that I can't celebrate on the same level I did last year when I bought my Kelly. I've been putting a bit of money aside here and there, and I will have about $2000 to play with - I might add a bit to it, but nothing substantial.

I am totally confused about what I want. I would love to have a Picotin but in the MM size (best with my shrunken height of 5'4" now) I don't think I could possibly get it over my shoulder. That's a deal-breaker for me.

I've considered other bags, and the only one that appeals to me is the Bolide and that is WAY out of my price range. I ADORE the picture that was recently posted of that Chartreuse Bolide!!! No, I can't just save up and get one in a year or two - not possible - too many other places for my money and I can't justify having two bags that are so expensive.

I considered another cashmere/silk GM shawl but I have two that I adore and there aren't any from this season that I love $950 worth. I really don't need another one - if came along that made my heart go wild I might get it - tend to like some of the vintage ones, so that means ebay.

So I'm thinking a wallet. I love the idea of the Dogon but it's too big. I think I might like a Bearn in the compact size. I think I made a HUGE mistake back in June when I didn't jump on an orangy-red lizard one that was on ebay. It was a great price. Am I making a mistake not getting the full-size Bearn? I have some back problems (scoliosis with arthritis), so I've been trying very hard to keep weight out of my handbag. I have severely edited my credit cards that I carry - do I REALLY need Saks, TIffanys and NM when the closest one is a 5 hr drive away? When I go to NYC, do I need my Kroger card or my library card? I've transfered almost all of my photos to my iPhone so I don't need room for them. I regularly carry 5 credit cards and my library card and Kroger card. Insurance cards are in the turquoise card case - much easier at the doctor's office to grab it with my Medicare card (Yikes!) and supplementary cards.

Sorry this is so long - this is a big deal for me - don't know when I'll be able to make such a purchase again.

My Kelly is cocoan chevre de coromandel. My present "rainbow" includes a lilac leather cosmetic bag (non-Hermes), a lighter brown envelope for receipts (non-Hermes), a Liberty fabric tissue case in a red/green/blue print, and a small card case in turquoise (non-Hermes). What color would you add to this mix? What leather would you recommend? Maybe lizard or not? The colors that always appeal to me are chartreuse (I WANT Millstream's chartreuse birkin!), turquoise, violet, lilac, orange, potiron, curry and some reds.

Sorry this is so long - this is a big deal for me - don't know when I'll be able to make such a purchase again.

You ladies are the best and always have great ideas! I'm ready to consider all - I have a month before I go to NYC.

India....Have you considered an Evelyne? They have a shoulder strap, plus they come in several sizes. i love mine! If not, then a wallet would be nice. Have you seen the Azap? I have that one and it is great. You are right though, the Picotin won't fit over your shoulder very well. Congrats on your weight loss! How did you do it, if I may ask?

Having a sense of your personal style from your recent visit Inda, my vote for your special birthday :heart: present is for a full-size bi-fold Bearn in Chevre. It's very light weight and is a luxury you'd use and savor every single day. Chevre is durable and comes in the most luscious and vibrant colors. I'm looking forward to seeing you again next month!

I tried the Evelyne last year (the first Hermes bag I had ever "tried-on"!). At that time, I could not wear it messenger-bag style. I don't know if I could now or not - I have very broad shoulders and a wide back. I will certainly try it when I go to NYC in early Oct.

I like the look of the Azap but isn't it quite expensive? I also worry about zippers that are used a lot, ultimately breaking. Ladies, this wallet has to go with me to the nursing home in a few years!!!

No belts for me - probably not ever. I'm very short-waisted and I carry my weight in my waist - not good for me to call attention to it. I never had a waistline when I weighed 110 pounds!

How did I do it? I give full credit to the elliptical trainer. That, and the rowing machine, have built up muscle in this fat, flabby old woman. I now have thighs of steel! When you build up fat, it changes ones metabolism - muscle burns fat more quickly. I have counted calories (it's shocking when one starts reading labels!). I have eaten about 1500 calories a day, and I work out with the elliptical (2 1/2 miles), the rowing machine and weights, three times a week at my local pulmonary rehab center (I have asthma). This spring, I bought my own and I do 1/2 my normal workout at home 3 more days a week. I created a diet that I knew I could live with for the rest of my life - I cannot gain this back - I've gotten rid of all my clothes! I eat lots of fiber (so I feel fuller), fruits and veggies (SO easy this time of year), and I have pretty much given up pasta, bread, cheese and ice cream. I was never much of a drinker so I didn't have to give up that calorie-hog. The bread, cheese and ice cream were the hardest - also white potatoes. I've found lots of low calories snacks - sugar-free Jello has only 10 calories and if one squirts lemon juice on it, it's not bad tasting - 2-3 triskets, sugar-free hard candy, tons of grapes - and I don't "forbid" myself any food when I eat out (once every 2-3 weeks). I also ride my bike to do short errands and rode it all the time on the Vineyard (who can ever find a parking place, anyway!). I also garden and I go up and down lots of stairs everyday.

Success begets success - much easier to pass up the frozen custard stand if one has lost a pound that week. I've done this over a period of a year - usually about a pound a week.

I'm not a very disciplined person and I'm pretty lazy - I can sit and contemplate my big toe for an hour and love to read, so if I can do it, anyone can. It truly has not been that hard once I found out HOW to do it, and building muscle has been the key for me - I can't lose weight without eating about 750 calories a day if I hadn't built up the muscle - weird metabolism.

As women age, we begin to lose 5-7 percent of our muscle mass each year! We must replace it, not only to avoid weight gain, but also to support aging joints. Most of you are my daughter's age and even younger, but someday you will face these problems, too. Start now on building up muscle and if you haven't in the past, start doing so. I feel 18 years younger - I have my life back again. I just wish my beloved husband could see the results - he would have been so happy for me and so proud.

India, i don't know you, but just wanted to say, congratulations on the weight loss. You are an inspiration. It sounds like you approached this challenge with a great attitude and i'm sure you will keep off the weight for the rest of your life. Best wishes to you....

Have you looked into preloved Boldies?

As to the Evelyn, I know you can get adjustable longer straps now, so maybe you should discuss that with your SA when you speak next?

If you are not going for a bag, I would suggest jewellery and scarves rather than a wallet. While I don't think you'd have a problem with the zipper (and surely H would attend to it if you did?), I know that unless it's a bag, I for one prefer to have a collection of small items rather than just one.

Good luck with your decision, and happy birthday in advance! :smile:

Oh India! You are a magnificent woman and an inspiration for us all!!! Treat your self to something that really blows your skirt up (showing off your legs of steel!) :o) A flight to Paris and buying a single scarf at Hermes Paris Flagship store!! Big hugs to you! Congradulations on your transformation and your up coming Birthday you know 65 is the new 55 :o) OOO's doc

Big Congrats on your upcoming birthday and congrats on your weight loss and change of life style.
I agree with Doc - treat yourself to something memorable, I love the idea of going to Paris and buying that one Hermes scarf and perhaps a perfume.
Bags: I agree on the Evelyne. Perhaps even the TPM size? Wallets: the Dogon actually comes in a compact version too. It's a great wallet.
Good luck and you have my full admiration!

Also take a look at the all-leather garden parties, which are in the same price range as the evelyne. One of colors they came in last summer was toundra, which is a greenish brown, a little like chartreuse, but more brown. Big congratulations on your birthday and your weight loss!

India...this weigh loss story is one for the books...such encouragement you give with some really good insights! So happy for you! And you are right, Gals and Guys here will be cross that bridge sooner or later and best to take care of our selves now...such a sage advice.

For your treat...I think a chartreuse all leather Garden Party will such a good addition as it'll balance your Kelly for reason of seasons plus you love that color! hermesmonkey showed us a month or so ago how beautiful and versatile it is...so Martha's Vineyard! I borrowed her picture below (HM, hope you don't mind) and I think she said it's priced well:

attachment.php

Anyway, best news is the sexy size 8 you are now in! That's the biggest achievement indeed and what a wonderful story and the sense of humor you put into telling your story...your personality really comes out and what a great one it is! Hugs! :heart::heart: MR. PP

India, sorry I have no suggestions for you as I don't know as much as the other ladies on here but I want to wish you in advance a happy 65th and I love the idea of flying to France to buy a scarf..sounds so romantic.not good for the hip pocket though. Garden party idea sounds good too.

Congrats on your up coming birthday and your weightloss: I wish I was so disciplined at exercising: and I really should, not being a young chicken anymore, LOL!!

I vote for the Garden Party too! I have 2, a summer one (Toile/leather combo) and a winter one (leather/wool) and they're great bags; I can easily put them on my shoulder aswell, even with a winter coat!