What time do you have to be at work?

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. I'm starting my dream job on June 1, but I have to be at work at 7:30am (it's a hedge fund). This means I have to wake up at 5:45pm the absolute latest. I'm a little nervous about having to wake up so early and am concerned about being able to do that on a long-term basis.

What time do you wake up/have to be at work? And how do you deal with it?

2. I don't have to be in until 8:30 but I get up at 5:30 because of my commute and fighting my husband for the shower. You'll be fine in a week. Just say goodbye to anything after 9 pm!

3. My last job I had to be there at 5 a.m. Luckily I lived close but still got up about 3:45 a.m. That was hard getting used to because I'm a night owl.

4. That's actually a pretty normal time for most people to wake up. I have friends at uni that have to wake up around 5:30-6 to be able to make it on time for 8am classes because they all live outside the city. It sucks and you'll find yourself more exhausted in the evening but you'll get used to it. Btw you should've posted this thread in the career and workplace forum

5. I know. I just realized I posted it in the wrong forum. I'm sorry! How do I move it?

6. No worries, I'll move it for you :smile:

I get up at 6:30 am, have to be at work at 8:30 am.

7. woo let's hear it for freelancing! i have to be at work at 1 p.m. so i get up at 12:50 (i work from home, yeah). but also i'm a total night owl...i usually go to bed around 6 a.m.

that said, most of my friends are in at work around 8 and wake up around 6:00. they usually go to sleep around 10 or 11. you'll get used to it!

8. I can get in whenever, and I usually roll in at 9:30. It's not uncommon for people to come in at 10 -10:30 though. The joys of working for a software company :biggrin:

9. My hours vary so my body clock is really all over the place...

It ranges from 6.30/7.00, 2pm/3pm/4pm or 5pm. Sometimes I start at 9am or 10am, especially if I am on a course.

On a morning shift it takes me half an hour to get to work and I leave 40 mins before I am due in. I get up 10 minutes before I need to leave. If I am on a course I get up about an hour before hand so I can get ready and have breakfast. On my afternoon shifts I get up whenever I decide to.

Also often I will work a late shift and then an early the very next day so sometimes I will have only 7 hours inbetween 1 shift starting and 1 shift ending.

ETA: I did earlies for months at one of my old jobs and you do get used to it. After a few days of getting up early it does become easier...but then my hours change and I start all over again!!

10. I have to be in at 7:15 to 7:30 am too. It's pretty standard in finance. Don't worry you will get used to it. Of course the downside is I end up waking up at 5:30 am on the weekends too, but I often can go back to sleep. I was never a morning person, but now I'm into year six of this early schedule and it really isn't bad.

11. I absolutely hate getting up in the morning and am a real night owl. Luckily I am able to get in to work when I want to most of the time, and so I aim on those days for about 9:30 or so (but I only have a 5 minute commute so I don't have to get up much before that).

I also can turn my alarm off without fully waking up, so on days when I have an early meeting or some other reason that I absolutely have to get up, I use an online service that does wake up calls (and I always set two calls in addition to my alarm) just to be sure that I don't sleep through!

12. my official hours are 8-430pm, but I like to get in by 7 or 715am so I can have some quiet time to get organized. My commute is less than 20 minutes, so I am usually up no later than 6am. What sucks is that I am definitely conditioned for it so even on weekends, I am up that early.

Watching TV after 10pm is a luxury and I consider it "late."

13. I start work at 7...have to get up at 5am if it is a "hairwash" day or 5.15 if not!! I leave my house just after 6!

It is not so bad once you get used to it!

14. I have to be in at 8:00, but I am there by at least 7:00. I get up at 4:00 to go to the gym anyway, so it's not a big deal to me.

15. I leave the house around 830 and get into work at 9. I would much rather get up earlier and get home earlier than 5!