What the best travel handbag for France?

JudyDenver

Apr 1, 2010
I will be in the South of France and Tuscany on a girls' trip. I usually take my Longchamp giant extra large Le Pliage tote on the flight then pack it in the suitcase when I arrive. But then what do I use as a handbag? I usually use my black nylon Prada small messenger bag which has great zippered compartments to stay organized. But I"m really tired of it.

I really don't want a heavy, structured large handbag (such my Prada) but I still don't want to look like a tourist with a multi zip Magellans travel cross body nylon.

I was thinking of an LV Neverfull but that tote is so open and accessible to pick pockets.

Maybe I should buy another Longchamp large LE Pliage and use that as a handbag? (unfortunately my friend will be taking her black one and that would make us look like twins!)

Any ideas? I don't mind spending whatever the cost/

I will be in the South of France and Tuscany on a girls' trip. I usually take my Longchamp giant extra large Le Pliage tote on the flight then pack it in the suitcase when I arrive. But then what do I use as a handbag? I usually use my black nylon Prada small messenger bag which has great zippered compartments to stay organized. But I"m really tired of it.

I really don't want a heavy, structured large handbag (such my Prada) but I still don't want to look like a tourist with a multi zip Magellans travel cross body nylon.

I was thinking of an LV Neverfull but that tote is so open and accessible to pick pockets.

Maybe I should buy another Longchamp large LE Pliage and use that as a handbag? (unfortunately my friend will be taking her black one and that would make us look like twins!)

Any ideas? I don't mind spending whatever the cost/
I've become a minimalist traveler in the last few years. I take one or two Chanel WOCs - the WOC holds more than you might think. Here's what I typically have when traveling :

3-4 credit cards in card slots
Passport in secret zipper compartment
Transit pass in outside slot
Cash in inner zipper pocket
Occitane hand wipes, sunnies, lipstick, and phone in main compartment.

That leaves the 2 inside slide in pockets still empty for receipts, tissues, whatever.

I wear it cross body on plane, during day, and with casual dress. Shoulder or clutch for dressier outfits. I've also taken to this approach on the weekend at home when I don't need all of my day bag stuff. The bonus for travel is that it's super safe from pickpockets (verified by a Chanel SA as the only thing she carries in Rome where they are epidemic.)

Have you looked into Le Pliage Cuir or the new Longchamp Néo line? They have a shoulder strap and the colors are gorgeous. They come in different sizes and several styles and Lp Cuir is also foldable. I love my LP Cuir to bits, so handy and smart looking! :smile:

Last edited:
The new LC Neo line might be a little small at 10 x 9 (I would really like to include more than my basics such as a mini umbrella or light sweater). Le Pliage Cuir seems like the perfect size at 12 x 11. I wish it had longer handles at it looks difficult to get it over my shoulder (which is the advantage of the basic nylon ) Love the look of the leather.

Is the Cuir extra light weight?

The new LC Neo line might be a little small at 10 x 9 (I would really like to include more than my basics such as a mini umbrella or light sweater). Le Pliage Cuir seems like the perfect size at 12 x 11. I wish it had longer handles at it looks difficult to get it over my shoulder (which is the advantage of the basic nylon ) Love the look of the leather.

Is the Cuir extra light weight?

Yes, the le pliage cuir is very light. It has a shoulder/crossbody strap. The Neo comes in several sizes-maybe you would like a medium.

I second the recommendation for MZ Wallace. I've used a large josie satchel (not avail right now) or a Kate as my carry on and then used a Mia as my day bag. I've used the Mia on 4 trips to Europe and it is perfect. The cost of them is well worth it. I think there are some mia's on ebay right now. The Paige and Lizzy are a little smaller.

Reactions: USCGirlie
i just got home from france,based on our experience there i would suggest you wear a crossbody bag,i used my lv speedy b when i was shopping in lafayette and positioned my bag well in front of me just to be safe.2 of my friends almost had their stuff stolen,good thing they caught the thieves on act.be careful and enjoy your trip to paris:smile:

Sent from my iPhone using PurseForum