What supply should I get for my pomeranian/terrier puppy?

pcil

Living life to the fullest
O.G.
Oct 20, 2008
I'm getting a pomeranian/terrier mix puppy and I'm picking him up next week. What supplies should I buy? Can you also recommend some brands for training pad, dog food for puppy, treats, etc? Thanks so much!! I'm so excited :biggrin:

luvprada

O.G.
Nov 23, 2008
I would recommend Natural Balance or Royal Canin food. Find out what he has been on and stick to that for a while. If you want to switch then gradually add some of the new food to the old food and take about a week to totally switch to the new food so he doesn't get an upset tummy.

Toys should be chew toys with parts that don't pull off so he can't choke on them. Also bones that he cannot choke on. If they start to fall apart throw them away. Also he might like a small ball.

Here's some places I've shopped from. Prices vary on the sites. Some are cheaper but check the minimum purchase and shipping costs of each to see where you get the better price. It will vary depending on what you want to purchase. I've had good luck finding different items on all of them.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/

http://www.petedge.com/home.jsp

http://www.carealotpets.com/

http://www.petco.com

http://www.petsmart.com/

I've used the cheapest pet pads I can find.

Have fun! Please keep us posted on how it's going.

grayxie

NOMtacular!
Mar 28, 2008
x-pen, crate, stainless steel pet dishes, harness, brush, toothbrush/toothpaste

For treats these are my boys favorite: http://www.foxypups.com/
They also like wagatha's biscuits, itty bitty buddy biscuits, zuke's, sojo's, k9 granola, ziwi peak, natural balance, the list can go on...

Chew treats I buy the non-smoked variety - the smoked ones seem to make them sick, and stink. I give them Merrick beef tendons, bully sticks, things of that nature.

My two boys are on a grain free kibble, and my geriatric gets the grain formulation. The brands they eat are Canidae, Orijen (Horizon is a similar formulation), Wellness small breed, EVO.

Don't get all crazy with the food/treats though because if your pup has a reaction to one, it would be harder to differentiate what caused it.

oogiewoogie

Life is good.. :)
O.G.
Mar 27, 2007
For pee pads.. I've found that Arm & Hammer works the best.. it doesn't soak through as quickly as the other brands we've tried. You can pick them up at Target for about 75 count for 20ish $$'s.

Food wise.. depends on what your dog takes to, but whatever you decide try and stick to a high quality dog food with as less grain and filler in it. My pup was throwing up the Royal Canin.. so I ended up switching her to Stella & Chewy's Raw diet. Innova & Lotus are several other good brands.

http://www.stellaandchewys.com/index.asp

Buy lots of teething toys... Nylabone is a good brand, try and stay away from Rawhide.. since it not digestible. ;)

The websites I frequent the most are:

www.dog.com
www.fosterandsmith.com

Good luck and have fun :smile:

p.s. This helps keep the dog occupied for hours... :smile:

http://www.dog.com/item/everlasting-fun-ball/311400/

zoesma

NICE KITTY
Jan 22, 2009
nylabones are great and the kong puppy pacifiers....my dog loves those kongs!!
also in terms of dog food,,,,if you dont mind spending a bit more money innova or evo is a wonderful dog food....i had my gsd on royal canin and switched her a few months ago after learning that it is really not great dog food for its nutritional value....the innova is maybe ten bucks more but much better quality....
if you dont have a crate get one so that the puppy will be crate trained from the get-go....it will make housebreaking a whole lot easier!!!
good luck on your new puppy!!! so exciting!!!

glamgirl84

Sep 10, 2007
I would recommend buying lots of paper towels! Puppies have accidents and we went through sooo many during the first few weeks with our little guy. I'd also pick up a good carpet cleaner if you don't already have one!

You'll also need the obvious things like bowls, leash, collar and toys (my little guy loves the soft ones that squeak, and he also loved nylabones when he was little [now he's able to tear them apart!]).

Some not so obvious things: a little bed for him to sleep in, a toothbrush and doggy toothpaste so you can brush his teeth, a placemat to put his bowls on (you can find really cute, seasonally themed ones at target for like $2), pet wipes (so you can wipe his feel if he steps in his mess or his behind if he has a messy #2, etc- I like the Petkin brand that you can find at PetSmart), and dog shampoo (I loveeeeeeee the Kiehl's dog shampoo and conditioner, if that helps).

There are so many things that you need that you don't even realize until the puppy is actually at your house, but it's totally worth it. We also used baby gates (I literally bought the cheap ones at Babys R' Us) when he was really young so that we could keep him in the kitchen when we weren't home because I was afraid he might chew wires or something by accidenct and we weren't doing crating). You'll figure out what you need as you go but I think the answers on this thread give you a good place to start!

Good luck with your new puppy!!!

glamgirl84

Sep 10, 2007
Oh and my favorite treat for my dog is dried sweet potato. You can find it at Stop n' Shop in the dog section if you have one near you (it's pretty cheap there), or you can also find it at a pet store (but its a lot more expensive than the grocery store in my experience).

Please post pics when you bring him home!! :smile:

pcil

O.G.
Oct 20, 2008
thanks for all the suggestions ladies :ty:

I've bought so many stuffs online just now. I got the exercise pen, dog treat for dental something(I don't remember the name), kong brush, stainless steel food and water bowls. I'll probably try innova dog food and try to find in local here. And I'll take him to pet store to get his collar and leash once I pick him up. Will definitely post pics when I get him :biggrin:

Keep the advice coming!! :ty:

pcil

O.G.
Oct 20, 2008
Pris- have you looked into training classes yet?

:yes::yes: there are couple of classes I'm interested in at the humane society nearby, but they don't start any new class until around January.

Is it true that I shouldn't bring the puppy anywhere until he's 3months old? My friend told me that even that he's already dewormed, he still might catch worms if he's outside :confused1:

balena

Mar 5, 2009
If you haven't already, find a vet now. De-worming actually happens on a schedule with pups as do vaccinations (they need to done several weeks apart). If you bring your dog out before it's done with all of its shots, it can get parvo which is very often fatal. Line up a good vet now and schedule an appointment to coincide with when you pick up your puppy. Also, if the breeder can provide records of what they shots/de-wormings they have done, that would be best. I personally would not take a pup out until it has had all rounds of shots which can be up to 16 weeks old.

Dogs can get worms at any age; ask your vet about hookworms, roundworms, tapeworms etc and they will tell you how to prevent/lessen the potential for your dog to get them.

On another note, get an enzyme-based carpet cleaner like Nature's Miracle – enzyme-based carpet cleaners break down the scent left by urine that other kinds of cleaners may not be able to and that will prevent the pup from going back to a previous "accident" spot.

Good luck and post pics! :smile:

Lakritze

♥
O.G.
Jun 4, 2006
I would start socializing your puppy as soon as possible. Most puppies should be around 8 or 10 weeks old when they move into their new home and I would introduce new things, people and environments very soon.

I can't wait to see pictures of you puppy!

MarneeB

~Love My Dogs~
O.G.
Mar 15, 2009
I wouldn't take him out to too many places (parks, etc) until he's had all his puppy shots. He should be socialized, but make sure he's not vulnerable to catching anything first. Also, all our dogs love the kong chew toys. You can hide treats in them and keep them busy for a while!
Congratulations on your new puppy, I hope you post pics when you get him!

oogiewoogie

Life is good.. :)
O.G.
Mar 27, 2007
:yes::yes: there are couple of classes I'm interested in at the humane society nearby, but they don't start any new class until around January.

Is it true that I shouldn't bring the puppy anywhere until he's 3months old? My friend told me that even that he's already dewormed, he still might catch worms if he's outside :confused1:

You don't want your puppy exposed to grass or where others dogs have been... in fear of catching Parvo.. etc. I'd wait until she's finished with her series of bordatella shots before taking her around public grass areas. We actually didn't expose our pup to outdoor public grass areas until she was almost finished with her her entire series of vaccines. Def. do not recommend taking her to the dog park until she's completely finished wither her puppy vaccines either. ;)