What skin is the suede lining?

I love the suede, and am totally spoiled... now I do not want bags - no matter how wonderful - with just a fabric lining... not even velour. The wonderful sensation when I touch the interior of the bag, the smell... all part of the handbag experience for me. I am also happy with a smooth leather interior - but not fabric. To each her/his own, right?:P

Reactions: momshj
Hi, is there anyone who know whether vintage bottega bag is made of suede pig's lining.

I have an unfortunate case. I recently sold a 2009veneta
to a muslim, without knowing that the lining is pig's lining. She only came to know of it one week after the deal. I suggest exchanging with my other bags and she is interested in one vintage BV bag plus top up on my part. The suede of e vintage BV bag doesn't look like pig's lining but I'm no expert. Any expert can confirm it? If needed, I can post pics of my vintage bag.
Thanks.

Hi, is there anyone who know whether vintage bottega bag is made of suede pig's lining.

I have an unfortunate case. I recently sold a 2009veneta
to a muslim, without knowing that the lining is pig's lining. She only came to know of it one week after the deal. I suggest exchanging with my other bags and she is interested in one vintage BV bag plus top up on my part. The suede of e vintage BV bag doesn't look like pig's lining but I'm no expert. Any expert can confirm it? If needed, I can post pics of my vintage bag.
Thanks.

I merged your thread with the lining thread, here. Please post some detailed pictures of your bag and lining, so we can try to identify the age. That would help with lining.

My DH had a comment to make on this issue...He feels that it is your buyer's responsibility to determine this (by asking) before hand. Because, you may not ever have a definitive answer. There are places that the person who possesses an item can take to have it looked at. For Jewish people who cannot have cotton and wool together (Shatnez), there are places that will test and replace say, a cotton pocket on a wool suit with an acceptable fiber. Certainly, so important a religious rule, should have places to test this.

Personally, I feel it is the buyers responsibility to get the answer for any potential deal breaker questions before purchasing. However, you may want to allow a return out of respect or protection of your reputation on eBay.

Hopefully some members here will be able to help you get an answer on this forum. But, you should also try to search for this issue on the PF's eBay forum. You may find some help there.

I merged your thread with the lining thread, here. Please post some detailed pictures of your bag and lining, so we can try to identify the age. That would help with lining.

My DH had a comment to make on this issue...He feels that it is your buyer's responsibility to determine this (by asking) before hand. Because, you may not ever have a definitive answer. There are places that the person who possesses an item can take to have it looked at. For Jewish people who cannot have cotton and wool together (Shatnez), there are places that will test and replace say, a cotton pocket on a wool suit with an acceptable fiber. Certainly, so important a religious rule, should have places to test this.

Personally, I feel it is the buyers responsibility to get the answer for any potential deal breaker questions before purchasing. However, you may want to allow a return out of respect or protection of your reputation on eBay.

Hopefully some members here will be able to help you get an answer on this forum. But, you should also try to search for this issue on the PF's eBay forum. You may find some help there.
Thanks jburgh for moving my thread here. I would have refunded immediately out of goodwill if she bring it up the very next day after the deal. But now is that I have used the proceed of the sale of this bag to fund another BV bag:sad: I certainly would not buy a new bag first without selling. So I thought of exchanging with other of my bags. I told my sis about it and she also said that I need not refund her. Though sale was not done on eBay, it certainly will not affect my reputation, I feel a sense of obligation.

Hm... Upon request, will BV replace the lining of the suede pig lining?
Thanks.

Thanks jburgh for moving my thread here. I would have refunded immediately out of goodwill if she bring it up the very next day after the deal. But now is that I have used the proceed of the sale of this bag to fund another BV bag:sad: I certainly would not buy a new bag first without selling. So I thought of exchanging with other of my bags. I told my sis about it and she also said that I need not refund her. Though sale was not done on eBay, it certainly will not affect my reputation, I feel a sense of obligation.

Hm... Upon request, will BV replace the lining of the suede pig lining?
Thanks.

ongwf - I know that BV can and does replace linings. But, you will have to call a boutique and find out if you have a choice of linings. Speak to a manager.

It's nice of you to want to do the right thing, ongwf. But I do agree with jburgh's excellent DH that a buyer who has fundamental restrictions should ask questions in advance.

As you can see from the existing thread your question was merged with, we don't have agreement even here on the forum about the lining's origin. I was told by an SA that it was pig leather, but other very knowledgeable tPF members disagree.

I hope that the situation works out for you. I know how unsettling it can be when buyers are unhappy with a purchase.

I was told by a BV staff some batches were made in lamb lining and not pig but they were few and far between

I just looked at my suede linings under a loupe and they are all pigskin. I have a maxi veneta circa 2009, New Ball circa 2008, cervo triangle cosmetic case circa 2007, and cervo baseball hobo circa 2009; all of them are pig leather without a doubt. My San Marco clutch is lined in smooth leather and is not pigskin.

I just looked at my suede linings under a loupe and they are all pigskin. I have a maxi veneta circa 2009, New Ball circa 2008, cervo triangle cosmetic case circa 2007, and cervo baseball hobo circa 2009; all of them are pig leather without a doubt. My San Marco clutch is lined in smooth leather and is not pigskin.

A BV "muslim" staff when I was visiting Kuala Lumpur chit chatted with me and amongst some tidbits told me that due to the majority of muslim population, they requested from manufacturer for the pig lining to be replaced with lamb or some other lining. Bottega listened and did it for a "few batches" (what "a few" batches really mean is anyone's guess and subjective)

However Bottega soon stopped and when Kuala Lumpur outfit questioned and asked the reason why, BV's reply was a lot of their sales come from the middle east and Middle Eastern (largely muslim population) did not even put in such a request, therefore they see no need to do so with Kuala Lumpur with much lesser sales in General than the Middle East.

This is the extent of my knowledge with regards to the lining as I didnt really have a particular interest in it and didnt pursue.

there is no way for a SA to know what kind of suede the lining is unless she talks to Italy
they don't give out that info in the books they send to the stores
it just says suede lining or velour lining or moire silk lining