What size diamond solitaire necklace?

vhdos

May 18, 2007
Well, I couldn't make any decisions in regards to upgrading my Rolex, so I've switched gears and started looking at diamond necklaces. I have a gorgeous diamond necklace in white gold, but I would like one in yellow gold. I'm looking at a bezel setting in 14k yellow gold. I'm trying to make a decision about size. I'm thinking about a 1 carat, 1.25, or 1.5 (they are all of very good quality, so clean & sparkly). Anything larger than a 1.5 seems a bit much, but is it? Does anyone have images of larger (1 carat and above) diamond solitaire necklaces?

This isn't the clearest shot, but I have a princess diamond necklace and the carat size is 2.11.

Necklace1.jpg

I would look at the specs and decide if the stones individually are worth purchasing and weed them out from there. What do they measure?
Imo it is a large enough purchase that I think evaluating them on all factors is still important.

I would look at the specs and decide if the stones individually are worth purchasing and weed them out from there. What do they measure?
Imo it is a large enough purchase that I think evaluating them on all factors is still important.

Absolutely it's worth evaluating, which is why we've already done that. I was just wanting general opinions on size at this point.

For a pendant I don't think it would be much. I would love to have a solitaire radiant cut diamond pendant in the 1.5-2ct range. What cut would you get?

Absolutely it's worth evaluating, which is why we've already done that. I was just wanting general opinions on size at this point.

Good to hear. I wasn't sure if you were just looking at ct weight. Dependant on measurements I would first look at size for value. If the 1ct measures close to the 1.25 and the 1 ct is less expensive, I would choose the 1 ct. kwim?

Otherwise, I would "try them on" to see which looked best. If you can see them in person that is easiest. If not, I have made paper dots the size of the stone and taped them to my finger for sizing. It would work for a pendant too.

I like the range you are looking at. Not too big, not too small. Of course you can always go bigger but it depends what you are comfortable wearing.

I have a 2.2ct pear shaped diamond solitaire necklace, I love it and have worn it every single day since I got it 3 years ago, it is a timeless piece one never regrets

Good to hear. I wasn't sure if you were just looking at ct weight. Dependant on measurements I would first look at size for value. If the 1ct measures close to the 1.25 and the 1 ct is less expensive, I would choose the 1 ct. kwim?

Otherwise, I would "try them on" to see which looked best. If you can see them in person that is easiest. If not, I have made paper dots the size of the stone and taped them to my finger for sizing. It would work for a pendant too.

I like the range you are looking at. Not too big, not too small. Of course you can always go bigger but it depends what you are comfortable wearing.

Oh, gosh no. IMO, quality is so critical. A large diamond can look awful if the quality is bad.
I popped into a mall jeweler yesterday just to look at size yet again (knowing that I wasn't going to purchase at that jeweler, but I kept going back and forth about size and needed some reassurance). They pulled out a 1 carat, round bezel set necklace that was pretty similar to what I was searching for. The size was lovely, but the quality of the diamond was absolutely terrible. You could easily see all of the inclusions/imperfections. I can't imagine that anyone would think that it was a good purchase. I'd rather sacrifice size for quality.
Anyways, I've narrowed mine down to the 1 carat or the 1.25 and I'm leaning towards the 1.25.