What size classic flap? What should I consider?

It's the age old dilemma of which sized classic flap should I get- the medium/large or the jumbo? I know it's been asked a lot, but I was hoping to ask specific questions to flap owners:

1. What made you pick the size you picked? Did you consider your height/body type when choosing a size, or is function more important?
2. What occasions do you use the bag for?
3. What items do you typically put inside?
4. In your opinion, what occasions are certain sizes NOT appropriate for?

I am 5'4 and on the petite side, but I tend to like larger bags in general. At first I thought I'd like a m/l for special occasions like weddings, in addition to nights out and social events. But I'm drawn to the jumbo- I feel like the size adds to its charm, and I like having the extra room. My daily bag is typically a Speedy B 30 to give an idea of how much room I like to have. I worry that the jumbo might be weird for dressy events like weddings- not that I go to weddings and galas all the time, but I'd want the bag to be good for dressy occasions. I don't really need another larger daily bag, but for the amount of money I'd like to be able to use this more than once in a blue moon. And while I can downsize to a small daily bag sometimes, I wonder if I shouldn't just go for the jumbo knowing I'll like the room. It's hard for me to get a chance to try on both sizes, but I also worry about one of the sizes looking silly on me, or the chain length being weird.

Thanks for sticking with me if you've made it this far! I'd love to hear about your decision making process and how you use your flap bag, with pics if you wish. Thanks!

I have a Jumbo that I use all of the time. The M/L just did not come close to holding my essentials. I have a WOC that I use as an evening/special occasion bag when my Jumbo is inappropriate. I am tall but it has never occurred to me that a certain size of bag would be an issue because I am tall. I think you buy the bag that suits your needs.

Sounds to me that jumbo would be better for you but question: do u always cross body? If so beware that jumbo chain may be so long it might look sort of silky. I’m 5’8” and I still feel chain a bit too long on me when cross body. Also, is reissue a consideration? I find ppl who like reissue look as much or better than classic and torn between ml and jumbo often find reissue 226 perfection and never look back to regret. The size and chain length perfection. Good luck!

Reactions: eckw and Kendie26
I’m also 5’4”, but chubby. Jumbo look best on me and I use m/l and WOC for weddings and other events.

If you want to use this bag mainly for events, get M/L. Jumbo isn’t a dressy bag. It can pass for a very informal cocktail, but not anything more than that, unless you don’t care that people will think you carry too much for such a chitchat event.

To me, it sounds like you should get an m/l and then, downsize for the day you care little. Jumbo (double flap since I assume you are buying new) is also heavy on its own so you wouldn’t want to put in too much anyway. The weight is totally in a different league compare to speedy. Plus, even though you can stand the weight, it still hold less than Speedy 30 anyway. Like half only so what’s the point?

And to answer your question;

1. I prefer jumbo coz it look best on me. But I only use mine for daily stuff. I use m/l and WOC for events.

2. Dressy time, except the WOC. It pretty much a throw around for me.

3. A must for me are wallet, lip balm, small notebook, pen, and mobile phone

4. I don’t think jumbo is good for events. It’s for a daily life. M/L carry too little for me for daily life (I’m a big-bag girl, too.) but kinda alright for the day that I carry little. In a perfect world, I’d like to use a classic clutch for events, but since cocktail is very popular and I need my hands for the food, strap is a must coz I need both my hands free, so M/L and WOC do it for me.

I have both the jumbo and the m/l. I am 5’5” and I feel like the jumbo hits me better. I also love that I don’t feel like my stuff is cramped in the jumbo. I don’t carry much with me (keys, card holder, phone and a lip stick.)

I do not really use my jumbo for dressy occasions. But that could also be because my jumbo is navy and typically wear black. So I usually gravitate towards my WOC, m/l or zip away clutch.

Reactions: Kendie26
It's the age old dilemma of which sized classic flap should I get- the medium/large or the jumbo? I know it's been asked a lot, but I was hoping to ask specific questions to flap owners:

1. What made you pick the size you picked? Did you consider your height/body type when choosing a size, or is function more important?

I am 5'4 and on the petite side, but I tend to like larger bags in general. At first I thought I'd like a m/l for special occasions like weddings, in addition to nights out and social events. But I'm drawn to the jumbo- I feel like the size adds to its charm, and I like having the extra room. My daily bag is typically a Speedy B 30 to give an idea of how much room I like to have. I worry that the jumbo might be weird for dressy events like weddings- not that I go to weddings and galas all the time, but I'd want the bag to be good for dressy occasions. I don't really need another larger daily bag, but for the amount of money I'd like to be able to use this more than once in a blue moon. And while I can downsize to a small daily bag sometimes, I wonder if I shouldn't just go for the jumbo knowing I'll like the room. It's hard for me to get a chance to try on both sizes, but I also worry about one of the sizes looking silly on me, or the chain length being weird.

Thanks for sticking with me if you've made it this far! I'd love to hear about your decision making process and how you use your flap bag, with pics if you wish. Thanks!
Sounds to me that jumbo would be better for you but question: do u always cross body? If so beware that jumbo chain may be so long it might look sort of silky. I’m 5’8” and I still feel chain a bit too long on me when cross body. Also, is reissue a consideration? I find ppl who like reissue look as much or better than classic and torn between ml and jumbo often find reissue 226 perfection and never look back to regret. The size and chain length perfection. Good luck!
Just wanted to endorse @Vanana comment regarding reissue size 226. I am close in height to you (5’3”)....i wanted a jumbo bad but when i tried it on, i just didn’t love it on me. It looked too big & the weight was noticeable to me. I love the jumbo on all the lovelies here, but not on me....however, as Vanana says, the reissue 226 is :love:PERFECTION for me. The size is close enough to jumbo but it isn’t heavy (for me) & the proportion is spot on. It sounds like your heart is set on a jumbo, but I just had to chime in.....i feel like I’m an “ambassador for the 226!”:lol::giggle::tup: I also think a reissue 226 looks better than a jumbo if you needed it for special occasion/weddings (just my humble opinion...don’t mean to offend any jumbo lovers!)I just think of smaller when it comes to weddings.etc so I use a clutch or 1 of my WOCs in those situations. Best luck deciding!:flowers:

I'm 6ft (183cm) tall and here's where single chained jumbo was on me...
I wouldn't recommend it if the main purpose is for going out. I do/did own the full range from WOC/mini/M/L (255)/226/jumbo/227 and for going out I'd recommend mini or WOC or M/L or boy.
Jumbo is gorgeous but
- heavy (managed to get a back pain after carrying my essentials around for a few hours)
- bulky, it's sticks out
- structured so unlike reissues 226 and 227, you won't get as much as you hope (literally put in small Chanel wallet, LV key pouch, kindle, iphone 6s+ and barely squeezed sunnies in soft case - didnt even try adding some cosmetics etc.).
- loud (though of course it's my personal view, i find CC lock the cutest on small bags like mini).
I'm event hesitant on 226 as it's fairly big bag for going out (but the most versatile and super favourite)
BTW- my logic was similar to yours, wanted a bag for evenings but it wouldn't hurt to use it daily for the money i paid. Also i thought I'm tall and M/L chain was too short and and...I had to sell it eventually and made a huge loss :sad:

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_bf5.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_bf5.jpeg
    89 KB · Views: 770
Last edited:
I’m with @Vanana and @Kendie26 in endorsing a reissue 226 all the way [emoji4] Im 5’9 and think a jumbo would be just a little too large for me.

Jumbos are great but I think too large for going out. I use my 226 for so many diff occasions and it really elevates and compliments so many different outfits!

If you’re set on a cf then I would suggest m/l as a good all rounder size.

Reactions: Kendie26 and Jdljb
I’m with @Vanana and @Kendie26 in endorsing a reissue 226 all the way [emoji4] Im 5’9 and think a jumbo would be just a little too large for me.

Jumbos are great but I think too large for going out. I use my 226 for so many diff occasions and it really elevates and compliments so many different outfits!

If you’re set on a cf then I would suggest m/l as a good all rounder size.
I am an advocate for the 226 as well. The distressed calfskin with ruthenium hardware is my favorite bag of all time. I am 5'7 and the jumbo is too bulky and heavy for me (I do love it on others though). The 226 is sleek, discreet, gorgeous, comfortable, versatile....it is just PERFECTION!!!

Reactions: Law
Jumbo. I think I've always been drawn to this size. I tried both on in store a couple times before deciding to go with the jumbo. For me the m/l didn't work cross body, (I'm 5'5) I just liked the way the Jumbo looked on me both shoulder carry and cross body. I also had some other bags that size wise was similar to the m/l so I wanted some variety.

I use this for just about anything except very formal events like weddings. I personally do think that the jumbo is a bit too big to take to a wedding the m/l might be more appropriate if this is a big deciding factor. I've been on the hunt for a Chanel mini to add to my collection and I think the mini would cover formal events for me.

I don't carry too much as the bag can get a bit heavy. Just a full size wallet (I tend to use a LV Clemence or a Prada Saffiano zip for size reference) , LV key pouch for keys, Iphone x, and a LV mini pouchette that is filled with chap stick, lotion, Advil, and other miscellaneous things.

Personally formal events just because it is a big bag. I tend to like mini bags or clutches for such events. For me the jumbo is just better for daily wear. I take it shopping, to the movies, to lunches, casual nights out and etc.

I hope this helps and would love to know which bag you end up getting! Best of luck!

I had my eye on the M/L for the longest time, but then I tried it on a few times in store and it just wasn't a good fit for me because it doesn't fit a lot. I don't even carry around that much - iphone x, LV 6 key holder, dior long zippy wallet, mini hand cream. It literally just fits my dior wallet and then maybe my hand cream on the side but then every thing else no. If I was spending that much on a bag, I want it to be something I can use all the time.

I also like how the jumbo sits on me, versus the ML sits a bit lower on a single strap. I would never use the jumbo single strap though. Yes it can be used cross body but it is very big and bulky (and also very heavy) so it digs into my shoulders. I don't even carry around that much. Single-strap non-cross body is also not that appealing because the strap is very long so it goes down to almost my mid to upper-thigh. I am 5'6

All the time! I haven't taken it to a wedding yet because I do have smaller bags I tend to favour for a wedding, but I don't see it as a no-no to take to weddings. I am also on the hunt for a mini.

Like I described above - iphone x, LV 6 key holder, dior long zippy wallet, mini hand cream, that's all I carry around with me. This can also fit some small makeup items if I need to bring it with me.

Maybe like a super classy black tie / tuxedo event, I wouldn't use the jumbo for, but everything else is fine. It's an amazing every day bag.

No m/l but I have jumbo. It fits more so more user friendly for daily use. Would not use for a wedding. Prefer smaller more discrete bag that I can tuck behind me on a chair hence the mini.

That’s exactly what happened to me! I’m 5’4” US size 2. Probably same size as you. I never even considered reissue before and I was going to get the jumbo classic black one with SHW. When I actually went to the boutique, I fell in love with the reissue they had so got that one instead then added another one the next month. Very happy with the decision that I made. I actually like the fact that there’s no Shiny CC logo on them even though I used to think the beauty of the Chanel bags are the shiny CC in the middle. LOL. I also don’t like carrying a Chanel classic flap on occasions like weddings because EVERYONE has Chanel on a shoulder on those events, especially black ones.

Last edited:

The m/l is the ultimate classic and versatile flap. It looks good on any height and transitions perfectly from casual to dressy. Personally I think the jumbo looks overwhelming on anyone who is not model height (5’8+). I’m just under 5’4 and I feel like the jumbo looks massive on me. Yesterday I saw a woman of about my height wearing a red jumbo; instead of adding a nice pop of color it looked like she was carrying a fire hydrant.

The leather is just as important as size for deciding when and where to wear it. Caviar and silver hardware is a good casual combo. I have lambskin and gold hardware and I usually wear it out to restaurants but rarely for everyday wear since I live in the city and I don’t want people bumping and scratching the lambskin all the time. That being said, I don’t regret getting lambskin but I do wish I got silver hardware because I think silver is more versatile than gold.

I can’t say much about function since I don’t carry a lot. If you can’t fit your things into the m/l then maybe consider the 226 reissue— it’s closer to the size of a jumbo but it’s a lot more flattering on vertically challenged people like us ;)

The m/l is the ultimate classic and versatile flap. It looks good on any height and transitions perfectly from casual to dressy. Personally I think the jumbo looks overwhelming on anyone who is not model height (5’8+). I’m just under 5’4 and I feel like the jumbo looks massive on me. Yesterday I saw a woman of about my height wearing a red jumbo; instead of adding a nice pop of color it looked like she was carrying a fire hydrant.

The leather is just as important as size for deciding when and where to wear it. Caviar and silver hardware is a good casual combo. I have lambskin and gold hardware and I usually wear it out to restaurants but rarely for everyday wear since I live in the city and I don’t want people bumping and scratching the lambskin all the time. That being said, I don’t regret getting lambskin but I do wish I got silver hardware because I think silver is more versatile than gold.

I can’t say much about function since I don’t carry a lot. If you can’t fit your things into the m/l then maybe consider the 226 reissue— it’s closer to the size of a jumbo but it’s a lot more flattering on vertically challenged people like us ;)

:lol: What an image! Although I’m surprised Moschino haven’t made a fire hydrant bag yet.