What should you know as a new LV collector-any advice veterans?

This is an awesome topic! I can't only agree with most of the post. Don't be afraid of vachetta. Do your research. Buy what fits your lifestyle not what's popular. Don't be afraid of Azur. I've made my share of mistakes when I first started with LV by being so paranoid and going with the "must have" and now I just do what works for me. Welcome and enjoy!!!

Your first LV bag must be bought from the store...then maybe venture to preowned route after...gosh i could still remember my first boutique experience...i may not love the bag later on but I sure love the first time experience...take it from me, do your research ( you're in the right track in starting this thread and read some posts), then make sure the bag you choose suits you...I knew even before that Im not a handheld bag person but i still went ahead on buying the batignolles regular...then I discovered I am still not a handheld bag person...lol....so lesson learned, I should not buy anything just because its LV...still, I am happy with my small collection..oh I almost forgot, when you go to the store and you finally pick something. The Sa is going to tell you to check the bag...so please take your time in doing it...like the stitching, alignment (if you are anal about this things), the straps for creasing, or any flaws possible. Some are also particular with the made in france tag...the first time, I was shocked when i read the tag that says made in USA...i didn't know then that LV are made in other countries other than france...

I bought my first LV from a consignment shop. I know we all have different journeys and mine is that I started as a Marc Jacobs fanatic. At the time I didn't know that there was more to LV than canvas totes but fell in love HARD with a Manhattan PM that I found while hunting for vintage treasures. I was like "wow that's so Marc Jacobs" with the buckles on the LV mono canvas & then when I did my homework I learned that MJ was the creative director of LV at the time. Blew my mind a little bit!

Now I have a mix of preloved and new purses/SLGs & have had nothing but positive experiences at LV. Even when taking preloved pieces in for repairs or hot stamping, the SAs are always gracious. I would say though that I would never buy preloved unless it came from a 5-star trustworthy consignment shop or unless I had it authenticated here first. TPF is an excellent resource for doing purse homework.

Oh and I guess my last bit of advice is that there's more to LV than just canvas. The leather lines are gorgeous! Everything from structured (Epi) to smooshy (Mahina), monograms in all the colors of the rainbow (Vernis, Empriente) and creamy leathers like the Veau Cachemire on the new Soft Lockit. So much to love! ❤️❤️❤️

I bought my first LV from a consignment shop. I know we all have different journeys and mine is that I started as a Marc Jacobs fanatic. At the time I didn't know that there was more to LV than canvas totes but fell in love HARD with a Manhattan PM that I found while hunting for vintage treasures. I was like "wow that's so Marc Jacobs" with the buckles on the LV mono canvas & then when I did my homework I learned that MJ was the creative director of LV at the time. Blew my mind a little bit!

Now I have a mix of preloved and new purses/SLGs & have had nothing but positive experiences at LV. Even when taking preloved pieces in for repairs or hot stamping, the SAs are always gracious. I would say though that I would never buy preloved unless it came from a 5-star trustworthy consignment shop or unless I had it authenticated here first. TPF is an excellent resource for doing purse homework.

Oh and I guess my last bit of advice is that there's more to LV than just canvas. The leather lines are gorgeous! Everything from structured (Epi) to smooshy (Mahina), monograms in all the colors of the rainbow (Vernis, Empriente) and creamy leathers like the Veau Cachemire on the new Soft Lockit. So much to love! ❤️❤️❤️

I would love to see an authentic lv in consignment shops here..all i see are fakes...i wasn't lucky in consignments...i have better luck at kijiji...

There are two consignment shops in my city that I trust. The others...not so much. And at that I think it comes from inexperienced staff. It doesn't take long to figure out which shops know what they're doing & which don't, especially if you're armed with info from TPF. Plus there's great consignors like Yoogis and Fashionphile that get great stuff & are really picky about what they buy to resell if you're OK with buying online.

Don't even think about going into the resell market until you've done a fair amount of research and educated yourself on basic issues such as construction, date codes, designs, market value, hardware, etc. Sure, you can rely on authenticators and the reputation of certain stores, but if you want to avoid being ripped off, your best bet is to build up your own knowledge.

Understand your lifestyle and specify all kinds of occasions that you regularly have, and what kinds of handbags would work with each. But even if you could, it is best if you could test that specific style of bag by another more affordable brand. Satchel, shoulder, crossbody, clutches... Hate to say this but Michael Kors has some very similar designs with LV. Keep trying. I didn't understand what I actually use until more than a year of trials and errors, buying and selling!

I'm only new this year but I'm very clear on the styles and prints that suit me. also which Styles are 'me'

Don't worry if you end up with the same canvas print, or leather style when you buy more then one bag. If that what suits you then that's fine.

There is no point buying something in a different print or colour if your never going to use it as that more of a waste of money.

Also if you get a bag and in a few years you stop using it, not just sell it straight away make sure you are 100% sure as you don't want regrets.

Your first needs to be an everyday bag that suits you.

Good luck picking

Understand your lifestyle and specify all kinds of occasions that you regularly have, and what kinds of handbags would work with each. But even if you could, it is best if you could test that specific style of bag by another more affordable brand. Satchel, shoulder, crossbody, clutches... Hate to say this but Michael Kors has some very similar designs with LV. Keep trying. I didn't understand what I actually use until more than a year of trials and errors, buying and selling!

This is fine and well timed advice! I'm looking to do my first boutique purchase but just cannot settle on a bag. I like the idea of waiting and trying out some less expensive bags to figure out what works. That's super smart!

I'm also realizing that I think I just really like the Speedy and its maybe ok to just have more than one :biggrin: