What should you know as a new LV collector-any advice veterans?

Hi all, i an new to collecting LV and have bought eva, a speedy and a cles in the past 3 weeks alone. :panic: i absolutely love my items but what i know for sure is that:

The color and texture of canvas may be different from one item to the next
As much as we want them to be perfect, they won't
^^This.

And LV is very addicting. I only intended to own a speedy & NF. As you can see from my collection, I went waaay past that. lol:lol:

Buy what you love, not what the fashion blogs/hype here tells you that you should love!

Also take your time with purchases - LV's not going anywhere :smile:

Agreed - just like my pomme d'amour cles - lovely to take out & look at - but ...

I have a cles amarante and love to look at it too 😉 so that's why I mostly use it as a bag charm on my damier ebene bags! But as for my Evas, (mono and DE) as gorgeous as they are, they haven't ever been used and I've had them for 1 year! I somehow can't stop carrying a nirmal sized bag 😁

This is a really great thread. Me being a new LV lover as well. I had to force myself to become open to LV because I was too stuck on pre-conceived hang ups about the brand like...too over exposed, too knocked off, etc, etc. When I finally spoke with friends who were LV lovers, researched the brand and really started to give it a chance, I really started to like it..then like turned to love. I got over my silly hangups because at the end of the day, it's about what I like/love and not what anyone else thought or had. I fell in love with the golden honey patina opposed to the brand new vachetta leather and that sent me on my 'pre-loved' frenzy (most of my high end designer bags are except maybe 2). So my advice from one newbie to another is...buy what sings to your heart and what you know you will carry forever. Do not get stuck on trendy items that will come and go. Look for utility and functionality as well as beauty, then you can't go wrong!! ;)

Buy what works for your lifestyle! Everybody has different likes and needs. Every bag isn't for everybody...that is part of what is so great about LV, they offer so many styles.

Don't run out and buy before the "next price increase" unless it's something you really want...and wanted it before you knew there would be an increase!

Don't stress about your bags. They are meant to be used...vachetta is meant to patina, plates will scratch, they won't look brand new forever. Have fun deciding what your next purchase will be and then have fun using the items!!!

I have to love my bag, not just like it. for this price point it has to be truly desired, not an impulse, or just an "I wanted it ..." kind of thing.

vanchetta is not scary, it's part of the whole LV history and house. don't be afraid of it.

as others have said, get what works for you and your lifestyle. I think the Empreinte Artsy is just TDF. but I don't do shoulder bags so I have refrained from getting this gorgeous piece - I just admire it on others and know if I had it I wouldn't carry it.

I'm not a veteran per-say... but I think its important to mention that, while doing research on a bag, you cant take what everyone says as fact. What bothers one person may not bother you and what happens to one person's bag may not happen to yours. For example, if I had knew about TPF before I bought my first Neverfull MM in DE (2012) and read all the things people say about staying away from that bag because of all the strap issues (stiffness, cracking etc)...I probably never would have bought it. I've now had the bag for 2 years and I absolutely love it. Its my first, my baby and I use it everyday. The straps are comfortable to me and there is a tiny bit of glaze cracking on 2 of the straps but it just doesnt bother me. I dont agonize over it. Also, I've been in LOVE with the Monogram Neverfull with the Fuschia interior and I was considering not getting it because of what people were saying about the color transfer. Turns out some people have the problem...and others don't.

Sorry for the mini-Novel but I just think its important to keep in mind that sometimes YOUR opinion is still the best opinion in the end :smile:

Definitely have them take out the stuffings out of the bag and try them on. Sometimes what you see online or in pictures will look VERY different than when you actually try them on at the boutique. :smile:

Enjoy them - don't be like me where you buy/collect/store and rarely use/enjoy! (I'm starting to enjoy them too - slowly but surely)

I'm not a veteran per-say... but I think its important to mention that, while doing research on a bag, you cant take what everyone says as fact. What bothers one person may not bother you and what happens to one person's bag may not happen to yours. For example, if I had knew about TPF before I bought my first Neverfull MM in DE (2012) and read all the things people say about staying away from that bag because of all the strap issues (stiffness, cracking etc)...I probably never would have bought it. I've now had the bag for 2 years and I absolutely love it. Its my first, my baby and I use it everyday. The straps are comfortable to me and there is a tiny bit of glaze cracking on 2 of the straps but it just doesnt bother me. I dont agonize over it. Also, I've been in LOVE with the Monogram Neverfull with the Fuschia interior and I was considering not getting it because of what people were saying about the color transfer. Turns out some people have the problem...and others don't.

Sorry for the mini-Novel but I just think its important to keep in mind that sometimes YOUR opinion is still the best opinion in the end :smile:

True!

Your first LV bag must be bought from the store...then maybe venture to preowned route after...gosh i could still remember my first boutique experience...i may not love the bag later on but I sure love the first time experience...take it from me, do your research ( you're in the right track in starting this thread and read some posts), then make sure the bag you choose suits you...I knew even before that Im not a handheld bag person but i still went ahead on buying the batignolles regular...then I discovered I am still not a handheld bag person...lol....so lesson learned, I should not buy anything just because its LV...still, I am happy with my small collection..oh I almost forgot, when you go to the store and you finally pick something. The Sa is going to tell you to check the bag...so please take your time in doing it...like the stitching, alignment (if you are anal about this things), the straps for creasing, or any flaws possible. Some are also particular with the made in france tag...the first time, I was shocked when i read the tag that says made in USA...i didn't know then that LV are made in other countries other than france...

Your first LV bag must be bought from the store...then maybe venture to preowned route after...gosh i could still remember my first boutique experience...i may not love the bag later on but I sure love the first time experience...take it from me, do your research ( you're in the right track in starting this thread and read some posts), then make sure the bag you choose suits you...I knew even before that Im not a handheld bag person but i still went ahead on buying the batignolles regular...then I discovered I am still not a handheld bag person...lol....so lesson learned, I should not buy anything just because its LV...still, I am happy with my small collection..oh I almost forgot, when you go to the store and you finally pick something. The Sa is going to tell you to check the bag...so please take your time in doing it...like the stitching, alignment (if you are anal about this things), the straps for creasing, or any flaws possible. Some are also particular with the made in france tag...the first time, I was shocked when i read the tag that says made in USA...i didn't know then that LV are made in other countries other than france...

While my first bag (bought today, Speedy 25 Monogram Cerises!!!!!) is a pre-loved, I did so only after enjoying a very lovely hour and a half in the boutique first tonight! My SA is so great and showed me lots of fun things in the patterns and prints I loved as well as educating me on the brand, etc. A boutique visit is hands down tons of fun!

I'm already eyeing my first boutique purchase (Pochette Matis Monogram) and I suspect it'll happen sooner rather than later. So glad to see this thread and get such great advise from the experienced LV shoppers here!!! Thanks y'all!

The advice here is great. I would just add a reminder to think of your overall collection in terms of having the categories covered, eg day bag winter and summer, rainy day bag, evening bag etc. at first you just want EVERYTHING and can end up with lots of beautiful bags but not one that's appropriate for that day! Have fun!

I completely agree. When first I bought my Mono Neverfull I was so concerned about the vachetta leather and whether or not to pretreat it due to all the comments here on TPF. The way some people freaked out about the patina process had me freaking out. But then I remembered that I previously had a Dooney and Bourke bag with vachetta leather that I never thought twice about and it turned out great. So my advice is that, while TPF is a great place for advice and research, at times some people think TOO much about their bags and don't enjoy them like they should. Buy a bag you're going to use and use it! That's the only way to effectively get your money's worth and be truly happy with your purchase. :biggrin:

From my earlier experience and learning curve. I say make sure your purchase is well thought out, what you really plan on using the bag for and your lifestyle. Go try on several bags comparing each with one another, make sure you take the things you normally carry so you can try them in the bags you are looking at. Walk away and sleep on it before purchasing. Do some research TPF and tons of you tube videos of people giving reviews. I agree with someone who said something that bothers someone else or they do not like may not be the same for you. So make sure you do not put too much into personal opinions - they are nice to have but make sure you are only taking them into consideration not your basis for buying. I say think on a bag for a month if you can but two weeks at least before purchasing - I guarantee you during that time you will probably change your mind a few times. I found that the bags I purchased right away are the bags I ended up selling for what really suits me. Buying bags and letting them sit because it was not really what you wanted is ridiculous for this amount of money. Do not settle - if they don't have it in stock either order it or wait for it to come in. Don't buy something just for the sake of buying it needs to be what you want. Don't buy something you are afraid to use - just crazy. If you want zip top but see an open bag you like too and tell your self I can get used to the open top, you probably will not. Don't make yourself like something just because it looks good on someone else. Oh my I can go on and on here. Lastly don't think of it as collecting or an investment! Collections to me are something you sit on a shelf to look at - bags are meant to be used. Leave investments to the financial advisors because believe it will not include handbags! And save for what you want don't go into bag debt! And lastly enjoy your bags!

Be Blessed MoNikki

Reactions: USCGirlie