What should I get next?

lesboitesorange

[H]andcrafted
Jul 23, 2013
I'm deciding between a Kelly in 28 or an Evelyne PM.
I have a Kelly in sellier box 28, but I hardly ever use it. I only use it when I go to events or to the theatre with my hubby.
I love the look of the Kelly, but find myself getting frustrated easily with the straps and turnlock.
I've heard that the Kelly in a softer leather is easier to get into.. Should I give it another try?
I've tried on the Evelyne, and loved how open it was, and the exterior pocket!
Which should I get first?
Also, if I get a Kelly, it won't be for months because I want to place a SO.
From what I've heard from my SA, it seems it's done at certain times of the year?

I suggest a 32 Kelly in a softer leather, with a strap. You will find yourself using it more than the Box 28, which though lovely is indeed harder to get into. Evelyns will always be around and easier to find in both classic and seasonal colours. Just my 2 pence!

I got myself a Kelly 35 retourne last spring and used it 3 times. It's easier to use than a sellier but the turnlock is still cumbersome for me even when I left the straps open. The Evie is easier to access but it's a crossbody bag so it's totally different than a Kelly. It depends on whether you want a hand-carried bag with an optional shoulder strap or a crossbody bag with open top. I don't have an Evie because I find a crossbody strap hurts my shoulder and being petite I find it cuts me off and makes me look shorter. Hehe.

I have the same issues with my box calf Kelly 28 retourné and am planning to get one in a softer leather in either 28 or 32. I also just bought an Evelyne and am wearing the living daylights out of it, so seems like a call on how casual a bag you want.
Also, if your Kelly would be an SO, you'll be waiting a while, and you can get an Evelyne today....so Evelyne could be next and Kelly the next after that :graucho:

Edited to add that I had my Evelyne strap shortened by our craftsperson so that at its shortest it's wearable as a shoulder bag and at its longest as a crossbody. Super versatile.

The Kelly in Box 28 Sellier is a gorgeous bag but like you, I rarely used it because it felt too formal for me casual lifestyle. Additionally, it was too small. I tend to carry a lot in my everyday bag and the Kelly 28 just didn't hold enough for me to wear it elegantly so I sold it.

I bought a Kelly 32 in Swift retourne and from a size perspective, it was much better. I loved the relaxed look of the bag but sadly, didn't love the leather as it was too relaxed so I sold it.

I recently bought a Kelly 35 in Box retourne and while I have yet to use it (favoring my halzan), I already know that this may be the bag for me. The size fits the daily stuff that I like to carry, it holds its shape better than the swift but yet can look more "formal" if I need it to. I bought a custom (non H short) strap and it's perfect. I don't close the clasp and wear it on my shoulder close to my body.

I also recently bought an Evelyne. To be fair, I wrote the Evy off after seeing one in Madison that looked awful on me. Huge clunky straps and so big that it overwhelmed my petite frame. However, Quellefrommage and others convinced me to give it a scone chance so I purchased a pre-loved one and I'm so glad I did. It's the perfect casual bag that can be worn for travel or during rainy day errands. However, I hesitate to carry it to work as it's almost too casual.

My answer is to get BOTH. Get the Evy now to satisfy your H craving and then SO a Kelly.

Personally, I don't think you should get another 28 Kelly, I think you should opt for a 32 in the retourne style as you will find it less formal and you can wear it with the straps open and the top tucked in so it will be easier to get in/out of.

Good Luck!!

I'm getting used to accessing the Kelly, but I understand that it can be a little tricky. I always find Evelyne too casual and not sure if I will ever get used to the die cut h perforation. If I ever bought an Evelyne, I will certainly let it go before I hit 45.

Sounds like you have an excuse to try on the Halzan. It may be a perfect median road for you.

I got myself a Kelly 35 retourne last spring and used it 3 times. It's easier to use than a sellier but the turnlock is still cumbersome for me even when I left the straps open. The Evie is easier to access but it's a crossbody bag so it's totally different than a Kelly. It depends on whether you want a hand-carried bag with an optional shoulder strap or a crossbody bag with open top. I don't have an Evie because I find a crossbody strap hurts my shoulder and being petite I find it cuts me off and makes me look shorter. Hehe.

Thanks for your response, Fabfashion! Glad to hear about your experience with the retourne K.. Very helpful!

I have the same issues with my box calf Kelly 28 retourné and am planning to get one in a softer leather in either 28 or 32. I also just bought an Evelyne and am wearing the living daylights out of it, so seems like a call on how casual a bag you want.
Also, if your Kelly would be an SO, you'll be waiting a while, and you can get an Evelyne today....so Evelyne could be next and Kelly the next after that :graucho:

Edited to add that I had my Evelyne strap shortened by our craftsperson so that at its shortest it's wearable as a shoulder bag and at its longest as a crossbody. Super versatile.

QuelleFromage, thank you for your helpful reply! I'm thinking now that maybe I should get an Evelyne first. I love the exterior pockets for the Lindy, so I love that the Evelyne has the exterior pocket!

The Kelly in Box 28 Sellier is a gorgeous bag but like you, I rarely used it because it felt too formal for me casual lifestyle. Additionally, it was too small. I tend to carry a lot in my everyday bag and the Kelly 28 just didn't hold enough for me to wear it elegantly so I sold it.

I bought a Kelly 32 in Swift retourne and from a size perspective, it was much better. I loved the relaxed look of the bag but sadly, didn't love the leather as it was too relaxed so I sold it.

I recently bought a Kelly 35 in Box retourne and while I have yet to use it (favoring my halzan), I already know that this may be the bag for me. The size fits the daily stuff that I like to carry, it holds its shape better than the swift but yet can look more "formal" if I need it to. I bought a custom (non H short) strap and it's perfect. I don't close the clasp and wear it on my shoulder close to my body.

I also recently bought an Evelyne. To be fair, I wrote the Evy off after seeing one in Madison that looked awful on me. Huge clunky straps and so big that it overwhelmed my petite frame. However, Quellefrommage and others convinced me to give it a scone chance so I purchased a pre-loved one and I'm so glad I did. It's the perfect casual bag that can be worn for travel or during rainy day errands. However, I hesitate to carry it to work as it's almost too casual.

My answer is to get BOTH. Get the Evy now to satisfy your H craving and then SO a Kelly.

Personally, I don't think you should get another 28 Kelly, I think you should opt for a 32 in the retourne style as you will find it less formal and you can wear it with the straps open and the top tucked in so it will be easier to get in/out of.

Good Luck!!

jyyanks, thank you so much for your helpful response! I loved your Halzan posts, and was pleasantly surprised to see how many different ways you can wear it!
I think I will get the Evelyne first, and satisfy the H bag craving while waiting for the Kelly.
Also, making note of your size suggestion.. Thank you!

Yes!

I'm getting used to accessing the Kelly, but I understand that it can be a little tricky. I always find Evelyne too casual and not sure if I will ever get used to the die cut h perforation. If I ever bought an Evelyne, I will certainly let it go before I hit 45.

Sounds like you have an excuse to try on the Halzan. It may be a perfect median road for you.

Thank you for your reply, Blue Rain! I should try on the Halzan. Haven't seen it in my store yet.