What Should I Do?

Devil Child

Sep 20, 2018
I am almost 16 years old and currently in my second last year of high school. I am intending on purchasing a Chanel handbag. I am able to have my parents pay for half of it; I hardly used my allowance, so I have most of the money for half of the bag covered.
My concerns are "what if it is stolen?" I would probably bring it to school because many of my female classmates keep their essentials in their handbags while carrying their books. I am not rich and I attend a public school and therefore I would look quite distinguished, but I would love a sentiment like that because I would rather place a bullet in my brain than carry those generic handbags everyone else owns. A lot of girls would be avaricious for the handbag. It is unfathomably expensive, and it will be difficult to replace. Chanel handbags have a high demand, after all. The elegance of a Chanel bag would drastically upgrade my confidence, because I have always been the "eerie girl" at school.

Which brings me to several options:
1. I could purchase an authentic Chanel handbag but claim that it is "fake." Doing so would be humiliating, but at least my bag would be secure. Although, some girls would not care and would thieve it nonetheless because my "counterfeit" Chanel looks so legitimate.
[removed]
4. Leave it be. Endanger my handbag but upkeep my pride by purchasing an authentic Chanel handbag and parading around in it.
This would be reckless.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t think you should buy a Chanel bag. If you want to build confidence in yourself, try out a team sport or do some volunteer work. A Chanel bag is not going to change your life, in the way you are looking. If anything, as a high schooler, you will be inviting more negativity into your life. It’s not worth it. If you are serious in writing this post, please trust me. My best friend had her parent’s credit card for designer clothes or whatever & got plastic surgery in high school and it did not make her happy.

First, fake and counterfeit bags are not condoned her on TPF. You could try a brand that has a similar look for now and won't draw as much attention. I think you should hold off on a purchase of a Chanel bag and like the other poster said, you could try joining a group or club, or sport that interests you to bolster confidence and to be a part of something that makes you feel good. Best wishes to you.

I would rather place a bullet in my brain than carry those generic handbags everyone else owns

I don't know what you mean by generic handbag (perhaps MK or Coach?) but at the end of the day, a bag is simply a bag. If you go to certain parts of the world, you will find LV, Chanel, hermes, etc, on the shoulders of everyone on the street... So the feeling of being the only one will not last.

Perhaps take up a hobby to boost your confidence. Show your peers some sort of skill, and I am sure they will be in awe. The satisfaction from this would be much greater and fulfilling than from what you would get from the jealous eyes of your classmates.

I agree with the previous posters. Don't buy a Chanel bag just to boost your confidence. Take up a hobby or build up a skill set to build your character that will define you in that positive way you're hoping for.
Don't let one piece of material be the thing that defines you. You can even change your style of clothes, hair or make up at the minimum if you're looking for something more on the outside to build your confidence.

If you're buying a Chanel bag because you can, you love it and your parents are ok with it... Then sure do what you want with your money. No one can stop you. Many of us on this forum come here because we all share the same insane love for expensive brands that our family and friends don't really understand or agree with. We buy it because we love it and it makes us happy!

To be honest, an expensive purse can often times cause negative reactions from peers like jealousy or disagreement with how money is spent.
More people can or will judge you. Some will be happy for you. There's alot of topic threads on this forum talking about this.

I don't speak for everyone here but for me personally, I never wear my Chanel bags at work (which I equate to school) because it would bring more negative attention than a positive one by my patients and coworkers. I'm 35 years old. I don't care or want to be labeled as the dr who has chanel purses but would rather be labeled for my skill sets and personality . Majority of my friends can't afford it either and it has caused more negative comments/feelings than positive ones as well. So I don't carry it around certain groups of people .

So get it if it makes you happy but don't get it just to build your confidence. Oh and don't buy a fake or pretend it's fake if you do buy a real one. :smile:

Last edited:
I am almost 16 years old and currently in my second last year of high school. I am intending on purchasing a Chanel handbag. I am able to have my parents pay for half of it; I hardly used my allowance, so I have most of the money for half of the bag covered.
My concerns are "what if it is stolen?" I would probably bring it to school because many of my female classmates keep their essentials in their handbags while carrying their books. I am not rich and I attend a public school and therefore I would look quite distinguished, but I would love a sentiment like that because I would rather place a bullet in my brain than carry those generic handbags everyone else owns. A lot of girls would be avaricious for the handbag. It is unfathomably expensive, and it will be difficult to replace. Chanel handbags have a high demand, after all. The elegance of a Chanel bag would drastically upgrade my confidence, because I have always been the "eerie girl" at school.

Which brings me to several options:
1. I could purchase an authentic Chanel handbag but claim that it is "fake." Doing so would be humiliating, but at least my bag would be secure. Although, some girls would not care and would thieve it nonetheless because my "counterfeit" Chanel looks so legitimate.
2. I could purchase both an authentic and a counterfeit Chanel handbag and bring the counterfeit one to places I would suspect it being stolen (a really great idea). I have heard rumors about some replicas being so well-constructed they fooled even Chanel employees. A replica of an older bag would be much more efficient, because most are trained in identifying replicas of popular bags (boy/flap/tote). I would solely bring the authentic bag to "safe" places, such as fancy dinners and those luxury events I have witnessed women who owned Chanel handbags (and were god awful at styling them) attend such as art galleries or performances. Despite how clever it sounds, this one really would not make any sense because it demands the point of owning an authentic Chanel handbag if I essentially have no use for one, since I tend to contain my essentials (cell phone, house keys, money) in my coat pockets or I would ask my parents to place it in their bags.
I really would not like to own a fake Chanel. It feels shameful because you are investing in the quality, what the fake bags lack since some of them look so horrible. The interlocking Cs are positioned so asymmetrically that it is nauseating (the symmetry of the Chanel bag is what beautifies it).
3. Purchase a counterfeit one to use to bottle confidence (but I would seriously feel as if I am living a lie, ashamed) and purchase the authentic one when I finally have the necessity for a Chanel handbag. I would only use the counterfeit one for my few remaining years of secondary school. I could also have my parents purchase an authentic Chanel bag for me as a present for graduating from high school.
4. Leave it be. Endanger my handbag but upkeep my pride by purchasing an authentic Chanel handbag and parading around in it.
This would be reckless.
I understand how you feel.
What I would suggest , if you wanna ccan purchase a chanel bag just do it but I would recommend that you don’t use it at school. Use it after school time , when you go out with friends , coffee , shopping , special formal occasions.
Wearing a Chanel bag might get unwanted and unpleasant attention which you don’t need.

And don’t buy and pretend it’s fake!
Just enjoy your Chanel and don’t wear it in places that you think will bring unwanted attention.

And get a classic piece which you can use for years to come.

I understand how you feel.
What I would suggest , if you wanna ccan purchase a chanel bag just do it but I would recommend that you don’t use it at school. Use it after school time , when you go out with friends , coffee , shopping , special formal occasions.
Wearing a Chanel bag might get unwanted and unpleasant attention which you don’t need.

And don’t buy and pretend it’s fake!
Just enjoy your Chanel and don’t wear it in places that you think will bring unwanted attention.

And get a classic piece which you can use for years to come.

Agree absolutely! Buy the Chanel you love and will use for years to come but don’t take it to school. I have a wide variety of designer bags but my girls would never think of taking them to school (I have loaned them pieces for formal dinners, but that’s it!) They carry functional bags that don’t mind being flung into corners and don’t entice thieves! Chanel etc would look showy and not endear them to their peers!

Fakes = big no-no on so many levels!

It’s difficult being 16, but my advice to you is be yourself and remember that the real friends are those who like you for who you are, not what you’ve got.

Agree absolutely! Buy the Chanel you love and will use for years to come but don’t take it to school. I have a wide variety of designer bags but my girls would never think of taking them to school (I have loaned them pieces for formal dinners, but that’s it!) They carry functional bags that don’t mind being flung into corners and don’t entice thieves! Chanel etc would look showy and not endear them to their peers!

Fakes = big no-no on so many levels!

It’s difficult being 16, but my advice to you is be yourself and remember that the real friends are those who like you for who you are, not what you’ve got.
Totally agree with you in all what you said .

I agree with what everyone has said so far
Whether you purchase it or not... do NOT take it to school! It's going to get damaged / stained / stolen. And it'll lead to so much negativity, it's just not worth it. I suspect it won't build your confidence at all, but just tear it down. Why? Because if you're not one of the 'popular' girls, people are going to jump on you with snarky comments because they're jealous. Don't do it to yourself. Save the bag for when you're older and can handle any negativity better.

I would not take the Chanel bag to school and not just because it could get stolen although this is a big concern. I’m afraid you’ll create a whole new set of problems for yourself with your school mates. Use the Chanel bag outside school.

One option could be that you get yourself a contemporary brand handbag (not sure what generic meant, I’m assuming no brand) and just a Chanel SLG for now. That would be more subtle. Then as you suggested, you could get a Chanel bag for graduation.

Have you thought about investing in a makeover ? Maybe a new haircut, makeup and clothes? That can go a long way in boosting one’s confidence.

Last edited:
Which bag were you thinking of purchasing? A classic flap, WOC? I have to agree with others that school isn’t an appropriate place to carry your special bag. Too many risks for it being stolen, damaged etc. A WOC might be a good start to a future Chanel collection for someone you age. Use it for going shopping or going places with friends on the weekend. But might be best to leave it at home during school hours. Just my two cents. Happy for you to have such a wonderful opportunity. GL

Reactions: Devil Child
I hate to say this, but this post makes me suspicious. The OP doesn’t sound like any 16 year old I have known, or even seen on TV. No teenager I’ve known would use words like “avaricious” and “unfathomably” unless they were part of a homework assignment. This thread feels a bit like a “plant.”

That said, I agree with everyone who said not to bring a Chanel to school. But I also have to ask, if you are, as you say, “not rich,” and attending public school (and assuming you’re not British where public means private school), why are you spending all your money on a premiere designer handbag? Why are your parents willing to foot the bill for half? If you’re not rich, they’d be saving up to help pay for your college education, or maybe help you buy a car to get to work. Sorry, but this story doesn’t add up to me.

I hate to say this, but this post makes me suspicious. The OP doesn’t sound like any 16 year old I have known, or even seen on TV. No teenager I’ve known would use words like “avaricious” and “unfathomably” unless they were part of a homework assignment. This thread feels a bit like a “plant.”

That said, I agree with everyone who said not to bring a Chanel to school. But I also have to ask, if you are, as you say, “not rich,” and attending public school (and assuming you’re not British where public means private school), why are you spending all your money on a premiere designer handbag? Why are your parents willing to foot the bill for half? If you’re not rich, they’d be saving up to help pay for your college education, or maybe help you buy a car to get to work. Sorry, but this story doesn’t add up to me.
When I read the post, those words did stand out. :smile: So I actually just thought.. she must be studying for her SATs or in honors English. I look back at my AP English essays in high school sometimes and I can't believe the words i used and sentences I put together back then. They were higher level or more thoughtfully put together than how i write now (except when writing journal articles) ! Ahha It reminded me of that. :smile: Fond memories.

Reactions: Devil Child

Do you know, this thought did occur to me but I naively couldn’t see why anyone would bother to create a false post? I’d be interested for your thoughts, catsinthebag!