What should I do?

sbiamonte

Sep 24, 2011
Hey everyone! So I bough a used Marc by Marc Jacobs bag off ebay after talking to the seller about the condition of the bag. She had told me the outside of the bag was in great condition so I went ahead and bought the bag.
Well when I received the bag I noticed that there's threads coming out from the stitching, which I know I can fix, but also the hardwear is discoloured, especially the front plate, the screws are peeling or are a different colour which is going to bother me. This was not in the discription at all or mentioned when I asked about the outside condition.
I don't want to return the bag but will have to take it to a cobbler to see if he could fix the screws... So the point of this is what should I do? Leave bad feedback? Contact the seller? I don't know what to say... Attached is a picture of the front plate.ImageUploadedByPurseForum1412348770.695559.jpg

I can see the markings on the hardware in the first photo, but there's not much in the way of description beyond that.

I would contact the seller first, politely, and see what she has to say, but she accepts returns, so ultimately if you're unhappy with the condition of the bag, just let her know that you're sending it back.

The flaking of the finish is visible when you enlarge the pictures but only because I know to look for it!

IMO, it should have been described because the way the picture was taken, it can easily be mistaken for lighting or flash distortion.

The seller has a 14-day return policy which means you can return and she has to accept it for any reason at all. But there's no obligation on her part to have to issue a partial refund.

If she balks on the partial, you'll have to decide whether you want to keep it and repair it yourself or if you want to return and find another.

She should have mentioned the wear to the finish in her listings. It is sort of to be expected with these bags but you asked specifically about the condition and she didn't mention it.

Just tell her that the finish is worn off the rivets, she didn't mention that and you want to return the bag.

If she gives you trouble then you will have to open a dispute on eBay.

I guess it's just me, but I do think the wear on the hardware was expected from the listing. The seller doesn't seem to really oversell, she doesn't even say it's in good condition. With any bag that's been used, the hardware will always show some signs, and is the one thing that's very difficult to make look new again. I think knowing that, it's always important to look at the hardware in the pictures, and these pictures definitely show that wear. I actually think it looks worse in her pictures than yours, and I don't think assuming that a visible spot on the bag could have been the flash is really fair to any seller. I always think sellers should detail wear to the bag, and it should have been noted to cover all bases, so if you want to contact the seller, you should. I'm unsure what your other correspondence with her was, and if she downplayed the wear in her messaging, that would definitely change my opinion. However given that you put your due diligence into researching the bag and messaging the seller, I'm surprised you didn't notice the wear to the hardware, front and center in the very first picture. I don't think leaving a negative or opening a case would be appropriate in this situation.