What should I do?

Issis

shopaholic mode
Jun 7, 2010
I purchased this vintage leather/fur coat from eBay two weeks ago. Got it in the mail on Monday. I took it to my furrier to have it cleaned. While I was there, I discovered three small rips around the fur collar (at the seams, but NOT simple undone seams) that were not mentioned in the listing. The listing said the condition was excellent.

The furrier said they are fixable. Since I really liked the coat, I took some pictures of the rips and left it with the furrier to be fixed. I came home and sent the seller a message expressing my disappointment, but did not demand any compensation. Now three days later, still no words from the seller. Not a 'I'm sorry.', not mentioning offers to help.

So what should I do? I left the coat with the furrier already. So I want to keep the coat. But just don't feel right to let the seller's ignorance go unchecked.

Any advise would be appreciated!
Thanks!

While I was there, I discovered three small rips around the fur collar (at the seams, but NOT simple undone seams) that were not mentioned in the listing.

You received the item and didn't notice any rips until after you brought it to be cleaned. If they weren't obvious to you, why are you automatically assuming the seller knew about them and didn't disclose?

With fur, it's often difficult to find where parts of the skins might have separated. It's not like a flat jacquard fabric where it's obvious if there's a split seam or a tear.

While I agree that the seller shouldn't be ignoring your message, it doesn't mean she's hiding anything nor does it mean she attempted to pull one over on you.

If I were the seller and got the message from you, I'd apologize and direct you to return the item for a full refund. I'd have to think about it, but I might consider (in this case) offering to pay for the repair.

But expecting the seller to automatically offer a partial refund is unfair and presumptious on your part. I don't know whether she's a seasoned seller or just selling her item from the closet, but if it's the latter, she probably is just unknowledgeable on responding to that type of message.

You received the item and didn't notice any rips until after you brought it to be cleaned. If they weren't obvious to you, why are you automatically assuming the seller knew about them and didn't disclose?

... ...

But expecting the seller to automatically offer a partial refund is unfair and presumptious on your part. I don't know whether she's a seasoned seller or just selling her item from the closet, but if it's the latter, she probably is just unknowledgeable on responding to that type of message.

ummm... I apologize for whatever I said in my post that made you upset. I think I am actually calmer than you on this situation here... :wondering

First off, I brought it to the cleaners immediately after I received it. So I didn't inspect it until I got to the cleaner's. I don't think the seller intentionally concealed the rips either (nor did I say so in my original post). (On a side note, if I were a seller of such item, I would have inspected it head to toe to avoid a situation like this. I'm sure most sellers here would do the same.)

Secondly, I surely DID NOT ask about any refund. (I wonder where I indicated that in my post... :confused1:) I didn't even demand anything in the message I sent. I left it to the discretion of the seller.

Lastly, fyi, from her listings, the seller is specialized in vintage clothing. So to answer your question, not a occasional closet seller.

phew~! I think I made things clearer... didn't I? :graucho:

ummm... I apologize for whatever I said in my post that made you upset. I think I am actually calmer than you on this situation here... :wondering

First off, I brought it to the cleaners immediately after I received it. So I didn't inspect it until I got to the cleaner's. I don't think the seller intentionally concealed the rips either (nor did I say so in my original post). (On a side note, if I were a seller of such item, I would have inspected it head to toe to avoid a situation like this. I'm sure most sellers here would do the same.)

Secondly, I surely DID NOT ask about any refund. (I wonder where I indicated that in my post... :confused1:) I didn't even demand anything in the message I sent. I left it to the discretion of the seller.

Lastly, fyi, from her listings, the seller is specialized in vintage clothing. So to answer your question, not a occasional closet seller.

phew~! I think I made things clearer... didn't I? :graucho:
You misinterpreted my post or my tone in the post.

I'm certainly not upset and have no reason to be. I'm not the buyer or the seller and haven't been contacted about an undisclosed problem.

I responded only trying to look at the problem objectively.

As I pointed out, the nature of fur makes it harder to see rips or split seams. So it's very possible that the seller didn't notice it. That's all I was saying.

As for you not seeing it, if I purchased an item, before taking it to the cleaners, I'd certainly do a quick once-over to make sure that I got what I thought I paid for. And I assume you did the same.

Granted you didn't go over with a fine-tooth comb and it's easy to miss the flaw in fur. My point was that it could have been the same with the seller. She could easily have missed it.

Again, I agree that once it was pointed out to her and you contacted her, she should have responded.

Sometimes it's impossible to find every knick, ding, dent, flaw, scratch, etc. on an item and most sellers do their best to find and disclose. But they're also human and make mistakes and omissions. Not every omission is intentional.

But many sellers aren't fans of partial refunds and although you didn't specifically request one, I think the implication might have been there.

Please don't be so defensive just because I didn't agree with you or because my suggestions aren't what you wanted to hear. You asked for opinions and I gave mine.

While I feel that it's rude of the seller to have not responded, it's also possible that he/she is away and cannot respond to messages. It's the holidays - I think we've all checked out on some level. ;)

I'm going to venture a guess that the seller was unaware. I'd give them the benefit of the doubt unless a month goes by and they still have not responded.