What should I do?

Blackbirdie

Nov 18, 2006
I have a dilemma and I'm hoping to get some opinions...I sold a bag to a buyer in the US (I'm in Canada) on Feb. 17th, the buyer paid right away and I shipped the bag for free on Feb 19th and sent her the tracking number. I used XpressPost with usually takes 3-5 business days with insurance. It has now been almost 2 weeks and the bag still hasn't arrived. I'm sure the bag is just delayed, but I can't file a claim with the post office until 30 days has passed. The buyer is now requesting a partial refund since the bag is delayed...should I comply with her request?

Last edited:

ladyisobel

Sarah
O.G.
Mar 22, 2006
Devon UK
No, i wouldn't be refunding her anything ! She has the tracking number, it's not your fault it's been delayed !
FYI, i sent a parcel to the US from the UK recently and it took 2 weeks to get there, it should have taken 3-5 days, maybe there's something going on !

pigalle74

Apr 7, 2009
It's not your fault that the delivery is being delayed. It might have to do with bad us weather which is certainly not your fault. Tell her after 30 days if she doesn't have the bag you'll be refunding her.

pippaWA

Jan 30, 2009
Pacific Northwest
I The buyer is now requesting a partial refund since the bag is delayed...should I comply with her request?
A partial refund is kinda weird in this situation, unless she is talking about a partial refund of shipping charges. Since you have shipped it for free then she is not even entitled to that. You may want to point out the free shipping thing to her.

p-WA

T Doll

May 22, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I agree with the posters above. This situation does NOT warrant any type of refund whatsoever. It's rather ridiculous that the buyer would even ask. She should ask either Canada Post or USPS to refund her money :P On a side note, I thought that XpressPost has guaranteed delivery within a certain amount of days? Would you be able to get a refund for the shipping if it takes longer than stated? I could've sworn I read/heard about this at the PO. But it might've have been for something else...I'm not 100% sure.

Apr 15, 2007
A refund for shipping is not fair at this time.. think your buyer is not

being reasonable.. you didn't "hand deliver" the bag you are relying upon a postal

service.. tell her to be a little patient.. you shipped the bag out immediately

and you have provided her with a tracking #.. can she check on her end..

and can you check on yours as well with usps ( a live person) & usps.com...

Nordy's girl

My youngest!
Sep 23, 2008
Washington
I agree with everyone else, I would not offer any kind of a partial refund for shipping delays. I have had the same problem you have had, shipping from US to Germany via USPS and one of the items arrived right away, and the other took over 2 weeks. I know the buyer was upset, but I can't control shipping delay's. I had tracking, so I could see where the package was, it just got stuck in customs and there really was nothing I could do about it. I also shipped for free. As long as you both have the tracking number and can see where the package is, your buyer just needs to be patient, as you don't have control over the mail. It's a risk we all take when we choose to purchase overseas IMO. Good luck!

rolexgirl

O.G.
Jun 11, 2006
The OC!!!!
As a seller or buyer, you have NO control over customs. That is just the logistics of selling and buying overseas. She should not have requested a partial refund as International shipping times are not guaranteed!

Apr 15, 2007
I agree with everyone else, I would not offer any kind of a partial refund for shipping delays. I have had the same problem you have had, shipping from US to Germany via USPS and one of the items arrived right away, and the other took over 2 weeks. I know the buyer was upset, but I can't control shipping delay's. I had tracking, so I could see where the package was, it just got stuck in customs and there really was nothing I could do about it. I also shipped for free. As long as you both have the tracking number and can see where the package is, your buyer just needs to be patient, as you don't have control over the mail. It's a risk we all take when we choose to purchase overseas IMO. Good luck!

Perhaps try e-mailing your buyer and explain that at this point in

time the shipping delay is out of your control.. you are doing the

best that you can and you are not happy about the delay either..

fashion_mom1

Apr 28, 2009
As a seller I only do partial refunds if something was my fault ie. I didn't describe something properly. I certainly would not refund for slow shipping (unless I shipped it via a slower method than I was supposed to). Sounds like you have done everything right. It maybe held up in customs-What does the tracking info say? Sometimes customs will call for the buyers ss# in order to release it. It maybe her fault that the bag is stuck because she hasn't checked her messages or something- you never know. it is beyond your control.

zoesma

NICE KITTY
Jan 22, 2009
New York
USPS is kind of shoddy on updating their system....it is not accurate at all....i had a bag that disappeared for 5 days and suddenly was delivered and the tracking was never updated....i would not worry about it yet

Blackbirdie

Nov 18, 2006
A partial refund is kinda weird in this situation, unless she is talking about a partial refund of shipping charges. Since you have shipped it for free then she is not even entitled to that. You may want to point out the free shipping thing to her. p-WA
She was asking for a discount on the bag itself (which I had already sold to her at a huge loss). She didn't pay for shipping because I had listed it as being free.

Had she paid for shipping I may have considered refunding her shipping costs if she had chosen a guaranteed service, but I don't really see why a discount would be appropriate in this case? I have never asked a seller for a partial refund due to shipping delays if they mailed the item in a timely manner. Am I wrong in thinking this way?

Last edited: