What should i do?

Sep 14, 2007
I have not gone into a pet shop for years. I always leave feeling really badly and don't like the puppies are left in small cages. There is this store in Manhattan on the Upper East Side and they sell items for puppies and for babies. A few months ago, I decided to check out their stuff for babies since I am always researching for my online boutique. I walked into the store and discover that in the back there are puppies! Since I was already in there I had to check them out. I have wanted to get another dog and have been interested in getting a French Bull Dog. I would never get one from a puppy store but then I saw one sitting alone in a very tiny cage. She's much bigger than all of the other puppies--I wouldn't even consider her a puppy anymore. I think she's close to a year old. I approached the owner and asked "why hasn't the French Bull Dog sold?" to which he responded "are you writing a book or do you want to buy a dog?" I said that I was writing a book. He said "well i'm not sure exactly but we may just end up keeping her...she runs around the store and we let her out". I asked how much the dog was and he said "well usually people make me an offer and they usually start at around $3,000". THERE ARE NO PRICES posted anywhere!!
So now fast forward another month, I walk in and the dog is in a very small cage (not running around like I had hoped). I tell the owner that $3,000 is way out of my price range. He says 'well I can call the breeder in Germany and see what we can do"...All i've heard is that this whole breeder from Germany thing is a scam.
This dog is not even the color that I wanted, is from a puppy store, is way over what I thought I would spend (even if I managed to get her for 1500), but really is very sweet and is stuck in a tiny cage. I don't know what to do! The owner is so rude and I actually said to him that I was doing this as more of a rescue since the dog is older and no longer a puppy and he said "well, you don't need to rescue her she's perfectly happy here". I have a feeling this guy isn't going to go anywhere on the price. I also am worried that if I do buy this dog, he'll just buy another french bull dog to replace it and then the cycle repeats. So after all of this...what do you think?

You can get a well bred french for half the cost from a reputible breeder. You could probably get a french with Champion parents (not just in the line) for less than $3000.

If frenchies have the same issues as bulldogs do, then you may want to steer clear if this guy and look for a good breeder.

Good luck....this is why I stay out of the pet stores, it always breaks my heart and I leave in tears.

I would steal the dog, just kidding kinda. I hate people like this , they are HEARTLESS and pry on peoples emotions. I would go and give the guy a peice of my mind and tell him he is a selfish jerk and ask him if he wants to live in a cage!

Jeez! I don't know what to tell you, it's heartbreaking and by his responses obvious that he doesn't really care about the dog. Does this dog even have papers? I wonder if there are any loopholes as to what's legal exactly. anyway to get the police involved and check him out see if everything is legit? I'm just thinking to myself... Good luck!

Since you're in New York, call the ASPCA and have their law enforcement folks check the place out. I would.....

EXACTLY correct!!!! This is the only way to help the dogs there, and perhaps you'll be able to adopt the cutie from the society if he/she gets seized!!

First off, I think I know the pet store you are talking about if it is on Lex Ave. I would not purchase anything from them.

Second, if you want a dog, this thread http://forum.purseblog.com/animalicious/pug-pup-needs-home-204681.html has someone trying to find a home for a pug and they are in NYC.

Also just on the news today, there were over 900 dogs that were rescued from a Virginia puppy mill and are at North Shore Animal League now. You might want to check them out.

http://www.nsalamerica.org/rescues/virginia/

Thanks for all the responses....I think calling the ASPCA might be a good idea! Thanks for the info on the pug but I was looking for a French Bull Dog. Truthfully, I'm not really looking that seriously just yet but would have snatched this dog in a second if they guy had been willing to negotiate on the price. We'll see what the ASPCA has to say.

Thanks again