What should I do with my old engagement ring?

charmander55

Jun 23, 2017
My ex-fiance proposed to me with a Graff diamond ring (centre stone is 1.7carat F colour, 2 side stones around 0.5 carat). We are no longer engaged and I am about to get married to someone else. What should I do with my Graff? I asked him if he wants it back. He insisted that I keep it for memories....

I have seen people turning old engagement rings to a necklace by taking off the centre diamond. But given mine is a Graff piece, I think it would devalue significantly if I were to take the diamond off and break the ring... and what do I do with the other two side diamonds...

What should i do?

My ex-fiance proposed to me with a Graff diamond ring (centre stone is 1.7carat F colour, 2 side stones around 0.5 carat). We are no longer engaged and I am about to get married to someone else. What should I do with my Graff? I asked him if he wants it back. He insisted that I keep it for memories....

I have seen people turning old engagement rings to a necklace by taking off the centre diamond. But given mine is a Graff piece, I think it would devalue significantly if I were to take the diamond off and break the ring... and what do I do with the other two side diamonds...

What should i do?
you could put it in the vault and eventually give it to a daughter if you have one

I’m remarried and had a beautiful 3.67 stone I thought I’d set into a pendant. My new DH, despite being so wonderful, would not want to see that around my neck everyday lol
Mine is in a safe for our DD, but if you remarry he likely won’t love his daughter getting your ex’s ring either.
I’d put it in a safe and decide once you’re engaged/married again.

Tough decision here! Agree with the posters who said don’t touch a graff. If you do not have any children with your ex husband then I would either sell it as is or just keep it in a safe until you really need to sell it. If you have children with your ex then you could pass it down. I don’t think I would give it to a child with your new husband - bad karma? I wouldn’t wear it on the right hand as it would look too much like an engagement ring.

I think all that would put me off would be any bitterness associated with the ex or reservations on the part of your husband, and it doesn’t sound like there is. So I’d wear it whenever the mood struck me. We all have a history and it’s part of yours, but it doesn’t affect your current relationship in any way - shame not to wear a beautiful ring.

• Love
Reactions: 880
I have a friend who periodically wears her old ring and even wore it on “that finger” when she had her new engagement ring and wedding band welded together and I admit, I was taken aback. I know, not my place and I know, you do you, but still. I couldn’t help it. That’s weird and beyond my comfort zone.

Her husband is lovely and would never say anything but it clearly bothered him.

Reactions: Hurrem1001
I have a friend who periodically wears her old ring and even wore it on “that finger” when she had her new engagement ring and wedding band welded together and I admit, I was taken aback. I know, not my place and I know, you do you, but still. I couldn’t help it. That’s weird and beyond my comfort zone.

Her husband is lovely and would never say anything but it clearly bothered him.
It might be different if it was a gift from the former fiance rather than an engagement ring. that has special significance. and if it was larger and more expensive than what current husband could provide, could be even more uncomfortable.