What shoes do you prefer w/ a black dress

i saw some dark purple patent mary janes that were gorgeous. they were out of my size though :crybaby:
grey would also work. and pretty much any of the colours mentioned by others. i think the style more than the colour of the shoes is what's important. there are even some pretty casual metallics out there (more muted and less shiny).

Black evening dress - I've worn red, silver, bronze
Black casual dress - I've worn pink, Pucci blue/white/black wedges, orange

Really, you can pretty much wear any color except Brown - don't like the black and brown combo.

I'm in the same situation as you! I wanted to pair my dress with dark red patent leather pumps but I just haven't had time to go find the perfect pair, so I paired the dress with black patent pumps. Since the dress is matte, the shiny material of the pumps still draws a lot of attention and style to the look. I got a lot of compliments on my shoes!

anything but brown or really flashy colours.

And red. I can't stand red + black but that's just my personal opinion as I've realized most others loves it ;)

I have been wearing gold heels (soft gold like you see in Jimmy Choos) to dinner, opera, etc. with a black dress and love how understated it is (it puts all the attention on the dress instead of the shows - granted, people look at the shoes too when they Choos) :yes:

For the office, I think tall black heels with a kitten heel look nice (particularly for winter). But nude or grey heels may also work (and grey is really in right now, especially in suede).

Someone mentioned red, and I agree! The deeper the tone the better, like a wine colour. That would be really pretty, especially with the right accessory, but I would probably keep that for dinner and not wear it to the office.