what series caviar leather is the best?

rosycheeked

Feb 8, 2013
i've been wanting to buy a caviar black medium flap but i'm scared to get a dull, cheap looking caviar leather.

after reading posts here on TPF, did i get it right that the best years for caviar are: series 12,11,9,15?

and to avoid are the 13 and 14?

any thoughts or tips appreciated....thanks!

I just bought a 09p maxi in soft caviar. I like it because it is light weight and soft. But some others may not like because it is not as structured as rigid caviar. Soft caviar is only introduced by chanel for one season if I am correct.

i've been wanting to buy a caviar black medium flap but i'm scared to get a dull, cheap looking caviar leather.

after reading posts here on TPF, did i get it right that the best years for caviar are: series 12,11,9,15?

and to avoid are the 13 and 14?

any thoughts or tips appreciated....thanks!

Mine is last years and it looks great! I did a reveal:smile:. I think you need to find the right one. Maybe look for a couple until you see the one that will make you happy and is exactly how you like it:smile: good luck!!!

It's really up to the individual bag. However in general 2009 & earlier > Now. Unless you really prefer double flaps. That thread has made everyone paranoid despite many people getting great bags. You will know if you feel your bag is dull, just look for another one. You can still get great looking ones today.

It's really up to the individual bag. However in general 2009 & earlier > Now. Unless you really prefer double flaps. That thread has made everyone paranoid despite many people getting great bags. You will know if you feel your bag is dull, just look for another one. You can still get great looking ones today.
thanks for all your input.

lallybelle,

do you mean the caviar in single and double flap is different? that i did not know....i wanted a double flap....

i swear i've never had to learn this much stuff about leather, fakes, etc just to be able to choose the right bag....:Pullhair:

thanks for all your input.

lallybelle,

do you mean the caviar in single and double flap is different? that i did not know....i wanted a double flap....

i swear i've never had to learn this much stuff about leather, fakes, etc just to be able to choose the right bag....:Pullhair:

Yes they are different. They are no longer single flaps production from Chanel only double flaps. If you rather get a single flap, you need to get a pre-loved one:smile:

Is it true that the 14 series double flaps have had many issues with their caviar leather? I just bought one and am waiting for it to be delivered and now I'm getting paranoid....the pics looked ok tho but then again, it's all about lighting....

I purposely bought pre 2012 because of the complaints about the leather - I didn't realize 14 series had complaints too...can anyone set my mind at ease?:sad:

I went to a boutique last weekend to look for a pair of flip-flops and checked the bags...the caviar leather looked a bit dull to me in black but probably very scratch resistant. I still don't know if I truly like it but it definitely didn't look cheap!

A Chanel SA told me once that a Chanel bag (caviar or lambskin) develops a shiny patina over time with added use. I'm not sure if that's true, but it certainly sounds nice and explains why some vintage pieces are so prettily glossy!

Is it true that the 14 series double flaps have had many issues with their caviar leather? I just bought one and am waiting for it to be delivered and now I'm getting paranoid....the pics looked ok tho but then again, it's all about lighting....

I purposely bought pre 2012 because of the complaints about the leather - I didn't realize 14 series had complaints too...can anyone set my mind at ease?:sad:

^ No, it depends on the individual bag. You have to judge based on each bag, not what series it is. There are good & bad batches from every series (even dating back to older/vintage bags). I have a 14 series flap & mine is perfect. Hope yours is too!

Reactions: Frillylily
^ No, it depends on the individual bag. You have to judge based on each bag, not what series it is. There are good & bad batches from every series (even dating back to older/vintage bags). I have a 14 series flap & mine is perfect. Hope yours is too!

Awesome! Thanks for the tip!! I'll post pics when my bag arrives :smile:)