What QVC Did to the Mid-Priced Designer

Did QVC Impact Dooney and Coach Favor?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cafebaby

I Love Louis
Jul 28, 2009
There have been a couple of threads regarding the declining interest in Dooney and Bourke and Coach, and my first thought was QVC. QVC parading Dooneys with thousands of handbags being sold within an hour kind of destroyed the mystique and exclusivity of Dooney, and with Dooney, the other handbags in the same price range. I now see Dooneys and Coaches everywhere. I like these designers and have run the gamut with both, but they have lost something. Do you agree?

:flowers: http://forum.purseblog.com/images/smilies2/flowers.gif

QVC doesn't sell Coach, but I think QVC selling Dooney's has impacted Coach in that it made that price ranged handbag more accessible and brought it into greater awareness.

A good while ago QVC sold Coach.

Yup they did! That was where my mom got her first (and only) Coach bag. Only to have it ruined by some jerk spilling his beer at a baseball game. But that's beside the point.

I agree, but I tend to think it had a positive impact, showing people that nice, decent, long-lasting bags can be purchased at good prices.

I don't think that QVC had anything to do with it. I'm sure it added to the popularity nationwide, but don't think it "cheapened" the line.

Seems like the lack of quality products and long-lasting styles did that. I initially thought D&B was a great product, but then came the doodle, bumble bee and other prints that looked too teeny-bopper.

Coach is overexposed. I love my Coach, don't get me wrong, but the increase in the number of boutiques, outlets, and department stores that carry the brand has increased significantly from a few years ago. I'm not as happy with the newer lines - too trendy and too many too soon. the leather is thinner and shows wear easily, the change to the op-art "C" style isn't for me, and other qc issues have made me move to other brands.