What qualifies as a "Classic" Speedy?

Feb 23, 2014
Hello LV Fans!

Ok, this might be a dumb question, but is there a consensus or correct answer to the question of what qualifies as a "classic Speedy"? I have been wondering since the discussion of the "revamped" Speedy has begun.

I thought the answer would be any of the following:

Mono Speedy 25, 30, 35, or 40

Damier Ebene & Azur 25, 30, or 35

However, the LV website includes my list and the Speedy Bs, Multicolore Speedys, and Empreinte Speedys:

http://us.louisvuitton.com/front/#/eng_US/Collections/Women/Icons

Perhaps the LV website answers my question.

But would my Cassis Epi Speedy 30 and my White Watercolor Speedy 35 "qualify" as "classic" Speedys? Would other LE or discontinued Speedys?

Do the shape and name -- regardless of material or pattern -- qualify the Speedy as a "classic"?

The reason I ask is the desire to have a "classic" Speedy before it (potentially) becomes limited, altered, or updated. Some posts have mentioned a possible run on the classic Speedy if it does become limited. Perhaps I already have a classic Speedy and do not need to worry about it. Still, I feel like I should have one in Mono or Damier, and I am leaning toward the Speedy 25 in DE.

Thanks for your time! :smile:

Okay to me, 'classic speedy' makes me think of the mono speedy 25 haha, not sure why! I automatically think of mono when I hear 'classic' but I guess now alterations are being made to the speedy, all of the current 'original' and unaltered speedys are classic!

I think it's just a classic bag in general! Regardless of size, print etc

I think the term classic is difficult to define. Chanel has done it from the marketing perspective as the classic line never goes on sale but seasonal bags may, allegedly justifying crazy price increases and wait lists. But what is a classic? Is it the classic flap - that was created by KL so maybe not but everyone calls the classic flap exactly that - genius to name it as such. Maybe it's the reissue in black because that what coco designed. Again, is a beige reissue less of a classic? Or a beige classic flap! Or think hermes. Can a Birkin only be in orange to be a classic? And what leather? Do the choice of leather make or break the definition of classic?

Although the original speedy is the mono 25 I don't think that is the end all be all of classic speedys. It's the classic design of LV so the various colors and sizes and editions can be equally classic. In order for a design to become a classic, it has to transcend the original - pay homage yet be capable of reinvention. Certainly, seasonal or LE designs are tied to the season they were released for so there can be the risk of appearing dated. But the shape remains a classic.

There's only one Classic Speedy IMO- the Monogram Speedy 25 designed due to a special order placed by Audrey Hepburn. I don't own one but I hope to one day purchase one in Paris. A girl can dream. 😍

I wouldn't call the Speedy in Empreinte a classic. It's a beautiful bag, but not a classic. I think on the Speedy in monogram canvas as one of LV's 'classics'.

I'd say Mono Speedy 25/30.

Be Blessed MoNikki

+1. I'd also lump a DE 30 in there for this reason - that's the original SIZE of the Speedy and DE is the original PATTERN of Louis Vuitton, so it's 2 pieces of history in one (that's the first Speedy I bought, actually, for that reason!). I also have a Speedy 25 in mono (definitely classic, it's one of my favorites) and a Speedy 40 in mono for travel.

OP - I'm curious as to why you think Azur is a classic and MC or epi are not? Azur was introduced in 2006. Epi has nearly 2 decades on it and MC was introduced in 2003? Also DE was reintroduced to mass market in 1996. How are you defining classic? Is it the date of the material's introduction or the shape itself?

I define classic as the original shape, sizes and prints that it was available in. To me, anything else is a modern spin on that classic. There have been many designers who have reimagined the Speedy but I don't think using it's shape and size automatically makes it a classic. Some are loved more than others but I think the original canvas prints are the classics.

Last edited:
I define classic as the original shape, sizes and prints that it was available in. To me, anything else is a modern spin on that classic.

So then just mono 30? The 25 was a request by Hepburn? It doesn't even carry the same name it had when it was introduced? So is the express the actual classic and the speedy just is a modern twist on the keepall?

I really do not want to be argumentative - I am truly fascinated because this is always an interesting topic that seems very tied to LV. Moreover, there is rarely discussion about the actual history of bags and I'm very nerdy and voraciously read the LV books.

As I stated above, I don't think there is nearly the debate about flaps and Jackie hobos and birkins (though I believe the Kelly is far more of a classic). Is it a problem with marketing? Or is it a marketing victory - are you supposed to buy one speedy and accept that everything else is a trending piece unworthy of the position of the mono speedy 30?

And I am really struggling at work so this topic is keeping me awake better than coffee!

So then just mono 30? The 25 was a request by Hepburn? It doesn't even carry the same name it had when it was introduced? So is the express the actual classic and the speedy just is a modern twist on the keepall?

I really do not want to be argumentative - I am truly fascinated because this is always an interesting topic that seems very tied to LV. Moreover, there is rarely discussion about the actual history of bags and I'm very nerdy and voraciously read the LV books.

As I stated above, I don't think there is nearly the debate about flaps and Jackie hobos and birkins (though I believe the Kelly is far more of a classic). Is it a problem with marketing? Or is it a marketing victory - are you supposed to buy one speedy and accept that everything else is a trending piece unworthy of the position of the mono speedy 30?

And I am really struggling at work so this topic is keeping me awake better than coffee!

The 25 is a classic in its own right, carried by an icon and deserves it's own place in LV history. But no, I don't see it as an original classic Speedy because it wasn't originally released in that size. The bag had over 30 years history before the 25 was made for her and was already a classic. If they decide to make a Speedy 27 1/2 tomorrow (no matter who it's for or how popular they make that bag), I don't consider it the original classic Speedy. Would it be considered a classic by some one day? Sure. Yes, the Speedy did come from the Keepall. One of the coolest things about Louis Vuitton's history is how it all started with luggage and how it has transformed itself over the years. This is my opinion, just as the 11 people before me left an opinion. You don't have to agree and we can certainly agree to disagree. I don't think anything other than the original, "everything else is a trending piece unworthy of the position of the mono speedy 30". I own 3 Empreinte Speedy 25's...that would make no sense. I do not however think that they are original classic Speedys. I think they are a beautiful spin on a classic design.

Last edited: