What products do I need to take care of suede?

Ivonne_R

Dec 14, 2008
Hi Everyone,

I just ordered some suede boots and I want to make sure I take good care of them. :smile:

I need your help finding a suede kit or products to take care of suede boots.

I read that I have to stain proof them or water proof them. Is that the same thing? How often do I have to do it?

I know I shouldn't wear them in the rain, but I want to make sure I protect them as much as I can from anything else.

Where can I find the right products? Do you recommend any specific brands? Any links would be appreciated.

Thank you for your help!:cool:

There are quite a few threads already, also have you looked in the CL subforum? Ntngo made a lot of great suggestions with all her years of wisdom.

As to answer your questions quickly,

1. Many good brands. There's no "suede kit" you just need to buy the right products. I use Meltonian

2. Yes, same thing, but just a reminder you're not exactly making the shoes waterproof or completely fool-proof to stains and dirt. It's just minimal protection. You shouldn't be wearing your suede shoes out in the rain after protecting them... That's NOT the point. It's only for times when you're absolutely stuck in the rain, again the shoes are NOT meant to be soaked in water or snow.

3. Depends on how often you wear your shoes... If you wear them daily (and personally I don't think suede should ever be worn everyday), I'd give the shoes a clean-up every weekend. If just a couple of times in a month, then you only need to clean them every few months or so.

4. Brands: Kiwi, Apple Guard, Meltonian, Tana, Lincoln....etc

5. Links? Please do a search. There are a lot of helpful tips from other PFers :yes:

Thanks for your reply. I actually spent the morning looking at all the suede threads I could find. And while most of them had great tips, few, if any had specific brand names/products that people use to take care of their shoes. So that is what I was looking for mostly- links to where I can get these products from/recommended websites/stores.

^I think you just need to find the right product, a lot of them are available on the internet. None of them are exclusive to a store or anything like that.

I highly recommend Meltonian's sprays. There's a lot of talk about them in different handbag forums as well. You may wanna do a search in those places too :yes:

I just use whatever spray is cheap and convenient to pick up. I live in a rainy climate and go through lots of these products.

I'm currently using one that works for both leather and suede.

Obviously you want to avoid wearing the boots in downpours, but if you live somewhere where it's impossible not to get caught in it every now and then, I recommend a spray for protection ( any brand will do)
Also get a brush so if your suede boots do get wet, once they dry you can re direct the nap of the fabric to clean them up a bit. ( you just let them air dry and brush in ONE direction and it works wonders)

I do this with all my suede and everything has stood up fairly well.

Thanks Sloane_Ranger, I don't plan on wearing them in the rain at all, even if there is a chance of 1 drop of rain. LOL I just got them yesterday and they fit, so now I can buy the products I need.

I'll pick up whatever product I can find then- hopefully they have something at the CVS nearby.

Thanks.