• Fashionphile's Very Merry Sale launched today and ends on Friday at 11:59pm EST! $100 off your order of $1,000+ with code MERRY100, $200 off your order of $2,000+ with code MERRY200, or $300 off your order of $3,000+ with code MERRY300! Click or tap here to shop and save!

Food What part of beef to stew? New to cooking meat and kinda confused

cola262

addicted
O.G.
Oct 24, 2006
All the recipes either say "beef", "beef, chopped" or "half pound of lean beef" :cursing: Some pieces of meat look right on the screen, but I think they are meant for steak. Other parts look too fatty. I made curry beef once (Japanese style) and it got too overcooked but I thought the beef is supposed to simmer for hours! I must have used the wrong part of the cow.

They never tell me what part to buy and I go to the supermarket (or in my case freshdirect.com) and I'm so confused. :shrugs:

Same goes for other recipes with pork, etc. Chicken is so much simpler. Please help! The recipes look so yummy.:drool:

Litigatrix

♥
O.G.
Nov 30, 2006
Florida
I also use chuck when I am making beef stew in the slow cooker (usually try to let it cook for at least 6 hrs, and then it falls apart). I have also used london broil, which is leaner and also worked well, but usually is more expensive than chuck.

fashionfrenzy

Sep 28, 2005
I also use chuck when I am making beef stew in the slow cooker (usually try to let it cook for at least 6 hrs, and then it falls apart). I have also used london broil, which is leaner and also worked well, but usually is more expensive than chuck.
Chuck is good for slow cooking--they also sell stuff labled stew beef, which would probably work just fine.

Litagatrix--I assume that you are an attorney? Great name, by the way:smile: