What part of beef to stew? New to cooking meat and kinda confused

Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. All the recipes either say "beef", "beef, chopped" or "half pound of lean beef" :cursing: Some pieces of meat look right on the screen, but I think they are meant for steak. Other parts look too fatty. I made curry beef once (Japanese style) and it got too overcooked but I thought the beef is supposed to simmer for hours! I must have used the wrong part of the cow.

They never tell me what part to buy and I go to the supermarket (or in my case freshdirect.com) and I'm so confused. :shrugs:

Same goes for other recipes with pork, etc. Chicken is so much simpler. Please help! The recipes look so yummy.:drool:

2. I cooked Japanese beef curry too. Normally I used chuck or shank part to stew, definitely not lean beef!!! (see pic)

beefchuck.jpg
  3. ^i agree. chuck or shank for long cooking.

4. I also use chuck when I am making beef stew in the slow cooker (usually try to let it cook for at least 6 hrs, and then it falls apart). I have also used london broil, which is leaner and also worked well, but usually is more expensive than chuck.

5. Chuck is good for slow cooking--they also sell stuff labled stew beef, which would probably work just fine.

Litagatrix--I assume that you are an attorney? Great name, by the way:smile: