What on earth is taup?

Robyn Loraine

Jan 14, 2010
Hey girls! I bought a "taup" MAB off of endless during the recent sale. But when I got to the check out page the item description says "stone" instead! The bag has gunmetal HW. Was a taupe MAB w/ gunmetal HW ever even made? Or is this bag just mislabeled? I tried asking endless about it, but they didn't seem to know (or realize taupe should have an 'e' on the end :rolleyes:). I was hoping one of you more experienced Minkettes might know what's going on (I tried a search and didn't come up with much). TIA

here's the link to the "taup" MAB http://www.endless.com/Rebecca-Mink...de=241745011&sort=relevancerank&keywords=taup

I've never heard of taupe with gunmetal. Taupe has antique gold or gold hardware, Stone has gunmetal. Not sure which bag you'll get but I'd guess that the check out description does raise a red flag. Since they have free return, maybe get it an see?

Well I actually really like the stone color and would probably be happier if it turned out to be stone. I was pretty sure I'd never seen anything taupe with gunmetal HW. They have a stone MAM with the gunmetal HW and if you look at the bottom pics of the bags they look somewhat similar? :confused1:

Taupe didnt come with GM, I clicked your original link with the taupe mab in it (not stone).
Stone is significantly lighter, so you'll have 2 bags close in color but different enough.

I had a stone MAB and got rid of it because the leather was so delicate, you cannot condition that kind of leather with apple conditioner, it will darken it. I would rather have a taupe MAB. I've heard taupe is a tough leather that isn't prone to staining.

On the stone MAB I had, I put some apple conditioner on the underside of the strap and it permanently darkened it! Apple has never darkened any of my other bags that I own.
I suppose apple rain and stain repellent would work though.

Last edited:
^^ The R&S will keep it safe from rain. I have the true love hobo in that color, and R&S keeps it waterproof. If it was already waterproof you could probably use the conditioner and not get darkening, but likely not the other way around, as you mentioned.

That's good to hear TXgirlie. I don't usually condition my bags unless they really need it, but I do want to protect them.

Also thinking about getting a brown MAB....but I have a harewood MAM. Do you think it would be silly to get another brown bag in that style?