What not to wear to a wedding

Dec 27, 2013
I went to a wedding this weekend. Though no one wore anything too short or form-fitting, I did see the following:

1) A woman in a white dress
2) A woman in a black dress
3) A woman in a dress that looked almost exactly like the bridesmaids' dresses

I was always taught that all three of these were big no-nos. Number 3 is sometimes unavoidable if you're a +1 and don't know the wedding party's attire, but in this case, 3 was one of the family members.

Just curious--what else would you add to the list?

I attended a few weddings this summer and I saw two girls wearing white. I was shocked.

The one was worse than the other because I actually thought she was the bride. She wore a long white fitted lace dress with a train. I had never met the bride so I assumed it was her. There were a few people who thought the same who had never met the bride and were from the grooms side.

I'm Greek and traditionally it's kind of bad luck to wear black to a wedding...so that's the only faux pas I can think of off-hand. But I do agree with the other ladies here - white is pretty bad to wear as well...I'd avoid it.

Also, always aim for a tad more formal than casual. I've seen some beach weddings lately and even though they're more laid-back than traditional locations, I was kind of shocked to see what people were wearing.

I don't have a problem with wearing black to a wedding. I think after wearing white, the tackiest thing to do would be to wear something extremely revealing.

I saw on facebook an acquaintance had posted photos of a wedding she attended. This acquaintance was not only wearing a (short) white dress, it was also satin! It looked like maybe it had been her own wedding rehearsal dinner dress or something, it was that bridal looking. This was from a couple years ago and I still remember it because I was so appalled when I saw the photos. :lol:

I'd always heard that you shouldn't wear black because it's traditionally a funeral color. A quick google search says that's outdated, but I still wouldn't feel right about it. I try to wear 'happy colors" to weddings--pinks, blues, greens, etc.

But, eeyore and renza, those white dress stories are so awful! Poor brides!

To my church wedding, 17 years ago, one of my cousins wore a white lace dress. She did not understand why that was a no go, so I just didn't mention it. What was worse: My matron of honor - I didn't have bridesmaids - wore a black lace dress. She hadn't told me what she was going to wear, it was meant to be a surprise. I was shocked. She looked like a widow. Also, the dress was sleeveless. She had just had surgery and a big red scar on her arm, which she was trying to show off. Because she had just recovered, I didn't say anything, but I was not happy. And to this day when I look at the pictures, she sticks out in her dark dress.

I went to a wedding recently where someone wore a purple, backless, sleeveless catsuit........
I was beyond appalled. WHY???

I've come across several weddings recently for which the bride and groom requested that all of the women wear white. I found that interesting. I wouldn't do it unless requested to do so though.

I went to a wedding this weekend. Though no one wore anything too short or form-fitting, I did see the following:

1) A woman in a white dress

2) A woman in a black dress

3) A woman in a dress that looked almost exactly like the bridesmaids' dresses

I was always taught that all three of these were big no-nos. Number 3 is sometimes unavoidable if you're a +1 and don't know the wedding party's attire, but in this case, 3 was one of the family members.

Just curious--what else would you add to the list?

What do you think about a woman wearing white to a gay wedding (i.e, 2 grooms)??

These are definitely no go. But you know nowadays...I went to a catholic wedding in a church and my friends were specifically asked to not have half of their boobs on display. Well, the locals showed up in tiny short dresses barely covering their behind, bare legs, and stilettos so high they belong to the strip club. I was quite surprised...

black could be OK, depends on the dress and shoes etc, but nothing too formal, it's not the office or a funeral...

def no: any white dress (even worse if it's a long one), too revealing or too casual (like you didn't want to make an effort)

I think a LBD is totally appropriate to wear to a wedding, as long as it's tasteful. White on the other hand is a no no. At my wedding, my maid of honor's mom brought a friend who was wearing white. I was so mad. I didn't even know the woman!

Not anyone here - just a general observation. I just don't understand how some women get their panties in a bunch when it's discussed it's inappropriate to wear white to a wedding.

My god there are PLENTY of dresses available out there that are every color and pattern except white. Why not pick one of those to wear for the 6 hours or so they're at a wedding? Why dig in their heels over this?

I don't get it.

I'm getting ready to a wedding next month and planning to wear a black long gown with laced open back. Didn't know it's a no no!
It's going to be a huge fancy wedding so I need to wear a gown. I have only black gowns and one bright red. Argh! What should I do?!