what men’s bag to get next (keepall/carryall/SO)

r.b_boi

O.G.
Jul 17, 2010
I am planner when it comes to shopping. I like to visit the websites, get price quotes, etc. needless to say when I return home, to germany, and go back to the states for christmas I want to be prepared. I am budgeting about 6000 for bags, I was looking at getting a guccissima bag and maybe a balenciaga bag, but since seeing the endless options available through special order and the fall winter bags I think I will dedicate it all to m. vuitton.

I already the proud owner of a keepall 60 in classic monogram. I absolutely love it, although it is a bit too large. I did not realize at the time of purchase that sometimes at restaurants I would end up relinquishing a great majority of the booth to the bag, nor did I anticipate squeezing through small boutiques, not to mention the unsightly sagging and weird shape it takes if my laptop turns on its side. nevertheless I still absolutely love it!!

I am debating between making my purchases in germany, making a trip to paris, or waiting until I go back to the states. Obviously waiting until I go back to the sates would be the easiest. however I’m willing to make the trip to the paris or to the nearest store in germany, if the bag comes out cheaper or there is a larger selection or bags only released in europe, does anyone know if this is the case?

I’m looking primarily for everyday bags, things I can use on a regular basis to put my 15 in macbook pro, semi professional grade camera, smokes, and whatever else. An obvious choice so far is the keepall in epi leather, it also does not hurt the bag comes in a smaller size, even after stuffing my keepall with the airbags I found it would still sag…maybe I’ll try a blanket or something to help keep its shape, I the way it looks when its full. I just cannot determine whether the 50 or 55 would be best for me. I think the 45 seems a bit too small, which looks a little effeminate in my opinion, but then I have not really seen many pics of males modeling them, so I cannot say that for sure. Being a smaller framed guy at 5’7”, 135 lbs I figure a bigger bag would look a little more masculine. so if some of you guys would not mind posting some pics of you in comparison to your keepalls that would be amazing. I looked through the keepall club, but found mostly pics of the bags by themselves or in a collection. If anyone has any suggestions on what size I should consider, it would be greatly appreciated.

also I was looking at the carryall. I love the shape, however, I’m a little concerned about the size. I think its closer to the keepall 45 in size, which would present the aforementioned problem of size. Do any of you guys (or gals) have any opinions about these?

the third bag I was looking at was the f/w shako cabas bandoliere. I really like the shape, and it seems like a pretty versatile winter piece. I’m a bit concerned that it may be too big for my size, I saw a picture of a guy holding a tadao in damier graphite and it was not too far from the ground…and the shako is 3 inches longer. I def don’t want to get a bag if it would drag on the ground (I prefer to carry by the handles)

next is a bag I can only hope and pray I get my hands on, it is the sac voyage. I haveseen a picture here and there throughout the forum, but there was nothing on louisvuitton.com. I hope this is not a discontinued line, because it is absolutely breathtaking. if anyone knows anything about this bag (sizing, pics, pockets, or anything please share it with me as I am in love with the shape)

the sac voyage leads me into special orders. I know I want to get several pieces special ordered, whether to get them now (resulting in less bags) or later (meaning more bags in the short term) is an unanswered question I am still trying to answer. Here is a list of things I was looking at special ordering:

a keepall in vachetta or tabago

carryall in vachetta, epi, or tabago

sac voyage in vachetta or tabago

does anyone know if anything on my fantasy list has been made SO? if so, do you know about how much they cost. I would hate to go to the store and go through the whole process of placing the order only to get a quote for something that is out of my price range. Also, how detailed does special ordering go because If I ended up getting the keepall I would most definitely want to get pockets inside. I cannot begin to describe how much of a pain it was to put out an APB overtime my chopstick or phone shifted around.

I know this is a lot to take in and try to help with, but any help is appreciated. like I said before I’m a planner, and I do not want to go to the store completely clueless and take up a whole day trying to figure out what I want when I already have months now to plan out what I want to get.

well, anyway, thank you all for enduing my dreadfully long post and babbling.

1. Paris is the cheapest to purchase LV. Germany should be cheaper than the US as well.
2. Epi leather Keepalls sag and over time, wrinkling occurs. eBay 'epi keepall' to see what I mean.
3. I am 6'1 (140lbs), and the 45 is already very large for me (practical-wise, but perfect in proportion).
4. The carryall is not as casual as the Keepall IMO.
5. The Shako looks too much like Longchamp IMO.
6. As far as I know, 'Sac Voyage' is a collective term applying to all travel bags and not a specific style. It literally means 'luggage bag'.
7. Tobago was a 2006 only release. It cannot be SO'd. The closest you can get would be a Naxos leather Keepall, but they retail at about >$3500. SO'ing a Keepall in full-vachette (if possible), will be very costly as well. BTW, there is a Tobago Keepall 50 in Red on eBay right now.
8. It's good that you plan ahead. I do, and it helps us make sure that we don't impulse buy.

Will post pics of my Keepall in comparison to my frame later tonight.

With your next Gucci, may I suggest a Large Diamante Leather Duffle? It's a beautiful bag, not strikingly obvious Gucci, and very masculine.

To SO a keepall in vachetta would cost a lot. So unless your budget allows..by all means. Also, vachetta requires lots of care if you would like to have a nice patina over the years without having water marks, dirt, etc.

SO is different from a custom order - regarding your question about getting pockets inside the keepall. I doubt lv would make one with pockets inside. Even if they do, it would definitely cost a lot. Perhaps you could keep a lookout for the Keepall monogramouflauge? If I remembered correctly, that is the only keepall model that has pockets inside.

I think the keepall 45 would be perfect for everyday use.

IMO I think the 50, 55 and 60 sizes is too big for everyday use. It just looks too much like a luggage for everyday use and too bulky. So I think that the 45 is perfect.

Good luck with your shopping trip.

I don't think the shako cabas is worth it unless you really, really want it. Seriously 4300+ USD for a fabric bag with some leather trim? Uhh no.

If you are 5-7/135# then a Keepall 45 wouldn't look "effeminate" at all on you. I'm ~5-11/180# and I consider that bag kind of small on me, especially for luggage, but not so for everyday maybe.

A carryall is far smaller than a Keepall 45.

A Keepall 45 in vachetta would most probably be US$10,000-15,000+.

Re. Sac Voyage. Which Sac Voyage? That is a relative term depending on the line. There is a beautiful Damier Graphite Sac Voyage for sale on a reseller site right now that I have been eyeing, lol.

Tobago leather is most probably not SO-able since that was part of a seasonal collection.

To SO/CO a bag to your specifications in full leather, I would at least budget USD$10,000+. Probably even more than that for a large bag to cover everything.

1. Paris is the cheapest to purchase LV. Germany should be cheaper than the US as well.
2. Epi leather Keepalls sag and over time, wrinkling occurs. eBay 'epi keepall' to see what I mean.
3. I am 6'1 (140lbs), and the 45 is already very large for me (practical-wise, but perfect in proportion).
4. The carryall is not as casual as the Keepall IMO.
5. The Shako looks too much like Longchamp IMO.
6. As far as I know, 'Sac Voyage' is a collective term applying to all travel bags and not a specific style. It literally means 'luggage bag'.
7. Tobago was a 2006 only release. It cannot be SO'd. The closest you can get would be a Naxos leather Keepall, but they retail at about >$3500. SO'ing a Keepall in full-vachette (if possible), will be very costly as well. BTW, there is a Tobago Keepall 50 in Red on eBay right now.
8. It's good that you plan ahead. I do, and it helps us make sure that we don't impulse buy.

Will post pics of my Keepall in comparison to my frame later tonight.

With your next Gucci, may I suggest a Large Diamante Leather Duffle? It's a beautiful bag, not strikingly obvious Gucci, and very masculine.

you’re so helpful! I heard rumors that paris was the cheapest place, but I thought with the exchange rate favoring the euro and tax that it would probably end up costing the same or a little more. since you confirmed it, I did some research, comparing the pricing among the american, german, and french online stores. and I was amazed, floored actually at what I found out. I noted the pricing of all the keepalls in all materials (sans the 60s) and there was on average a 15 euro difference between germany and france (I checked on a website that used an up to date converter and it was a $20 usd difference). the difference from the french and american prices was several hundred dollars. I was still a bit leery because I heard that tax in germany was about 20% or so, but I did some research and, unless I am horribly mistaken, there is no “tax” in france - the price listed is the price one pays because the tax is already factored into the sticker price. this news made me ecstatic, although I would be a bit heart broken to hear it is in fact not the case. further research revealed that in addition to the several hundred dollar (on average about 200 usd, excluding us tax) I would get a vat form for an additional 12% refund on the invisible tax, which means about another 100-150 usd refunded!! so in total I would look at the bag being more than 300 usd I would save (more if I calculated american sales tax). taking this into consideration, it is a definite that I will purchase my bags in europe. I wonder if ready to wear is also cheaper, if so I may skip the new york shopping trip and make it a paris shopping trip!!

i looked online at the epi keepalls and I did not particularly notice any sagging, I think this is due in part to a lower number of listings for the epi leather. I will do a google search and see if that returns some mow images.

I think I will reconsider the 45, I saw a picture of one on a mannequin and I think that would be better size than the ginormous 60.

I’m not familiar with the longchamp, I’ll look it up to see.

attached is a pic of the bag to which I am referring.

aww man, I guess such is life with the tobago…I really wanted one, but the one on ebay looked a little too worn imo.

I am glad someone else plans ahead aside from me, I thought maybe it was. I cannot wait to see the pics to get a better idea

To SO a keepall in vachetta would cost a lot. So unless your budget allows..by all means. Also, vachetta requires lots of care if you would like to have a nice patina over the years without having water marks, dirt, etc.

SO is different from a custom order - regarding your question about getting pockets inside the keepall. I doubt lv would make one with pockets inside. Even if they do, it would definitely cost a lot. Perhaps you could keep a lookout for the Keepall monogramouflauge? If I remembered correctly, that is the only keepall model that has pockets inside.

I think the keepall 45 would be perfect for everyday use.

IMO I think the 50, 55 and 60 sizes is too big for everyday use. It just looks too much like a luggage for everyday use and too bulky. So I think that the 45 is perfect.

Good luck with your shopping trip.

yeah, based on what r mentioned, I think the 45 may be a better choice. as much as I want to get a vachetta keepall I think I’ll save that one for a more special occasion.

I don't think the shako cabas is worth it unless you really, really want it. Seriously 4300+ USD for a fabric bag with some leather trim? Uhh no.

If you are 5-7/135# then a Keepall 45 wouldn't look "effeminate" at all on you. I'm ~5-11/180# and I consider that bag kind of small on me, especially for luggage, but not so for everyday maybe.

A carryall is far smaller than a Keepall 45.

A Keepall 45 in vachetta would most probably be US$10,000-15,000+.

Re. Sac Voyage. Which Sac Voyage? That is a relative term depending on the line. There is a beautiful Damier Graphite Sac Voyage for sale on a reseller site right now that I have been eyeing, lol.

Tobago leather is most probably not SO-able since that was part of a seasonal collection.

To SO/CO a bag to your specifications in full leather, I would at least budget USD$10,000+. Probably even more than that for a large bag to cover everything.

I thought it was all in leather, clearly I was mistaken. I may pass on that purchase if its the case.

Attachments

• GSV 01.jpg
    GSV 01.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 1,156
Last edited:
I would recommend a Keepall 45 or 50. I'm a 6'7" male and I carry a Keepall 45, and it's the right size. Mine is epi, and for all that you want to carry, I would not recommend epi. Stick with Damier or Monogram. Or try and find the Tobago! Anything over 50 would be irritating!

i have a carryall and it was the best purchase made ever. it seems small at first but you can really pack everything in there. it's very surprising. the keepall is kinda too casual in my opinion, too. carryall looks classic but very chic. i love mine and use it all the time.

Hey there! Did you swing by Paris yet? If so, what were the prices for the keepall's you were considering? Trying to decide whether to pick one up here in the US or whether it's worth it to ask my parents to bring me one from Germany on their next trip. Had no idea there was such a huge price diff between countries on LV!

Hey there! Did you swing by Paris yet? If so, what were the prices for the keepall's you were considering? Trying to decide whether to pick one up here in the US or whether it's worth it to ask my parents to bring me one from Germany on their next trip. Had no idea there was such a huge price diff between countries on LV!

my trip is not until december...but i can give a price list of the bags in paris. (i looked at the french price and used xe.com to convert the price to usd) If i remember correctly its a 15 USD increase in germany.

monogram: 1019 USD (790 euro)
damier ebene: 1019 USD (790 euro)
damier azur: 1019 USD (790 euro)
Epi: 1316 USD (1020 euro)
Damier graphite: 1045 USD (810 euro)

unless my math is off, or there is a price increase these should be accurate prices. Please someone correct me if i'm wrong.

also, these prices do not reflect the approximate 10% VAT return, which if i remember correctly you can find booths that actually give you an immediate return on CE or the airport...so you may even be able to add a small trinket as well.