What Marc Jacobs think about collaborations?!?

LV Craze

LouisVuittonAddicted
May 9, 2008
Not sure has anyone read the article up on the New York Magazine recently or not....

Here what Marc said:

“I’ve kind of warned everybody up there that I think they’ve gotten a little too into this idea which, I mean, is great,” Jacobs said. “I’m glad that everybody gets behind it, but what they don’t realize is that I do it at a pace that maintains the brand’s integrity and seems really right, and I think that sometimes everybody loves a good idea so much that they kind of go too far and it kind of kills it.”

For full story you can visit What Marc Jacobs thinks about collaborations!?!?

I personally think collaboration is good strategy for marketing and ofcourse all the superb the creative ideas but sometimes there is something that you just need to think twice before you do it....

What do you guys think? Agree or disagree? Please share your opinion

i like the collaborations. the price hikes aren't making the brand any less exclusive, so im not entirely sure what he is worried about. i mean, in all honesty, going as huge as this company did might have been the apple in the garden.
the collaborations tend to keep part of their crowd alive and interested and draw in new ppl.

I really like the collaborations. I think the real problem exists in relaunching LE items, etc. not in collaborating. Perhaps he is concerned about predictability as well. If they follow a pattern of always collaborating, then it won't seem as groundbreaking this is just a thought. Just IMO though.

Last edited:
I think it's awesome...a fresh perspective and new ideas on an old existing item...especially with LV...!! Look at all of the great stuff that has come along since LV started collaborating with MJ and Murakami!! Then Richard PRrince!!

I could see how once a company starts collaborations then they are like a hampster on a wheel always trying to top the last Wow collaboration collection and if it falls flat w/the public then they have a disastrous season- maybe this is why the fall season is so restrained after the wild & crazy RP collaboration. :shrugs:
Good Thread...
PS: after reading the short article it makes me so :happydance: that I went ahead and got a few more bags last season from the RP collection-I had a hunch that there might not be another season that I enjoyed as much as this last one:sunshine:

Last edited:
I think it's awesome...a fresh perspective and new ideas on an old existing item...especially with LV...!! Look at all of the great stuff that has come along since LV started collaborating with MJ and Murakami!! Then Richard PRrince!!

agree... its so beauty. I love it more after they started collaborating with other designers

It is nice to see everyone's opinion!:yes::tup:
Does the word "collaboration" add the value and interest of public to its bag more than the bags that are not from collaboration works?

I'm glad that Marc Jacobs doesn't do what the LV higher-ups are pressuring him to do. MJ is a very smart and a very creative guy. If he feels that it's right to collaborate with any artists, he will do it. And I'm sure that he won't do it just for the sake of having an artist collaboration or to be provocative.

MJ is an art collector himself and he will only do it if he likes the artist at both professional and personal levels. I agree with him that too many collaborations will only lower the excitement and even cheapen the brand.

But I guess LV execs are getting greedy when they see high sale volume of artist collab items :devil:. That's why they want MJ to collab more....LOL...:lol:...

Is he talking about LV collaborations only or is he saying that LV does collaborations right but other designers/stores don't? When he says "I do it at a pace that maintains the brand’s integrity and seems really right, and I think that sometimes everybody loves a good idea so much that they kind of go too far and it kind of kills it." it makes me think he doesn't like that others are now doing high-profile collaborations, especially high end designers doing lines for discount stores or celebrities doing collections for brands/stores (not maintaining the brand's integrity). If that is the case, I think he should just shut up and worry about his own brands. I would think he approves any collaboration LV does with any other designer or artist.

I think stores/brands should just go with whatever sells. Ultimately, retail is a business. So if collaborations and LE works, do it. Keep doing it until it's not working. Right now, it's clearly working. But it's wrong to sell LE items as LE and then go ahead and make more and do "reissues." It's like lying to the customer, creating a hype and selling a certain exclusivity but then changing the game halfway through. Customers will get fed up and stop buying, b/c that exclusivity is gone or they think they can wait and just get the item later.

The most important thing is to have great products that are good quality, stylish, priced appropriately, and appealing to the customer. A top designer name attached can help with buzz, but a lot of customers looking at the various LE bags probably never heard of the other designer/artist before and even less would actually be familiar with their previous work. What attracts is the look of the bag. Most people didn't like Eye Love/MC b/c it was Murakami, they liked the bright colors on the white and black. They liked Cerises and Cherry Blossoms b/c it was cute and happy and had pink and red. Joe Schmoe could have designed them and it would sell, it wasn't the designer's name that sold it. I don't know how RP did commercially, but it just doesn't have that same broad appeal. A lot of people will think the phrases are weird and won't want it b/c of that. Those bags are more avant garde.

I wonder if Marc's moaning has a little more to do with a smaller pay cheque when he collab's rather than "integrity". Let's face it he doesn't maintain brand integrity how many rereleases have there been! not to mention the multiple bags of same or similar design I.e pleats & name plates at least the collab's mean we get something new

Publicly complaining about the company that employs you is probably not his smartest move either