What makes you decide to part with a bag?

If I have to many choices I don't use them. My goal is to have under 6 that are in rotation, if I get one in the same color family, I will let the other one go. (I'm pretty fickle though, if I have two different styles in the same color family it won't count ;) ) I would say if you don't use it every couple of months, it's time to let it go.

I agree with Ladybug. I too am trying to trim down my handbag collection to only Balenciaga, Hermes, Chanel, and a couple exotic skin ones. It is true that when I have SO many handbags, I don't use most of them, and it's simply a big waste.

I understand how some member feel short-changed when you buy a bag for $1000 only to turn around and sell it for $700 in a couple months. So I recommend going to reputable resellers who have reasonable consignment contracts. Usually with these resellers, since their reputation is great and they have a decent collection, they usually can list items for retail or slightly above retail.

Right now, I have over 100 handbags. My goal to trim down will definitely be a long term one.:hysteric::hysteric::hysteric:

I haven't come to that point yet. BUT ... it has been in the back of my mind that one day I will need to sell if I want to keep buying (and boy, do I want to keep buying!). It's hard though, because you may FEEL you've lost interest, but as soon as it leaves you hands you might want it back. I have about 20 bags or so and I think once I hit 25, that I'll need to force myself to sell if I want to buy.

I had always thought that I wouldn't sell any, but in the past few months I realized I had some that I never carried. So, when I thought about them sitting in my closet never used vs. having money to spend on other things, I went ahead and sold some. I have no regrets about most of them, but I have some pangs over one. I think you need to be sure that you really aren't going to use them, and be realistic about what amount of money makes it worthwhile for you. I was OK selling mine at a small loss for those I really wasn't going to carry, but I do wish I hadn't sold off the one...

One thing to bear in mind on the consignment front is that, while they may sell for over retail, they also take a significant cut of the money -- 30-40% for some of them. So even if your $1000 bag goes for $1100, you still only end up with $700.

To fund other purchases, mainly. But I think long and hard when I do decide to sell a bag, so no regrets after. So far, I have sold 2 Bbags, thank goodness, no regrets.

Generally I sell one bag to buy another in better condition or with thicker leather etc..don't be fooled by this talk of bag-juggling I only own four bags..An '05 Bordeaux First I call 'Angel Bag' (NEVER to be sold), a beloved '05 Teal First and older well-worn sky blue City and a cognac First ..the City and the brown First will have to go as soon as I spy a caramel city on the Bay as the Sky Blue is older and so pale that it gets dirty easily,and the brown First's leather is too thin for my taste..

I sell my bags when I want something else, whatever it may be, this time around it was for a holiday overseas.

Being a full time student at the moment, I cant do both (holiday and keep my bags). However, in 6 months I will be finished study, so I can have the best of both worlds :graucho:

I still love Bbags so much and I can honestly say I can see myself wearing them in years to come (currently 33 years old). I really look after them too. I only buy BNWT or mint bags now and they stay in mint condition with me! I am looking forward to selling a mint 04 Eggplant Weekender in years to come. The only thing that makes me purge Bbags is selling a bag for a better colour...For example, I missed out on 05 Grey and have been looking for a mint one for a long time. I settled my grey ambition with a Steel City (well, it's more charchol than anything). Now that I have seen the new Argent Grey coming out in FW08, I have decided to sell my Steel City to afford it. It's a shame really, because the Steel is the 2nd best leather of my collection (next to numero uno Vert D'Eau!)

I pretty much only sell to fund another bag.

My eyes are bigger than my credit cards, so I buy something that I *have to have* and then feel guilty for spending the money. So then I sell something else to fund it.

I choose which bag to sell based on which I am using least, for whatever reason.

Like if I end up with two colors that go with the exact same outfits in my closet, one has to go :yes: The colors can be totally different but the get paired with the same jeans/tops/jackets. So I sell one.

Occasionally I have regrets but always manage to find them good homes (which although silly, makes a HUGE difference for me :flowers:)

Then I can enjoy other peeps wearing and loving then :heart: