What makes the canvas to become stiff

loveglitzer

Apr 3, 2012
Europe
I own canvas items an know I should prevent the canvas from getting stiff as this would cause cracks. But what does make my soft canvas to become stiff, sunlight? Heat, cold, cleaning products ... Can I cream or treat it to make it soft again?

How old is canvas that has gotten stiff?

CornishMon

Be Blessed, MoNikki
Apr 30, 2014
Interesting - the older my bags get the softer they become. How are you storing them and for how long? I store only in the Dust Bag in a pretty temperature regulated room. I also try to rotate often. Cleaning products? I do not use anything on my bags except for warm water and mild soap gently wiping the canvas with a rag ( as recommended). I may use non-alcohol baby wipes on my vechetta to clean the handles.

Maybe I'll learn something new here.

jellyv

O.G.
Mar 29, 2006
Agree that any stiffness would be from improper storage, not something you should expect to happen because of the canvas itself. To prevent it from becoming stiff, just keep your bags stored normally, in regular humidity and temperature: not too dry or too humid, not exposed to too much heat or cold. Consult the existing threads on care and storage, but LV canvas is hardy and not in need of babying.

loveglitzer

Apr 3, 2012
Europe
Interesting - the older my bags get the softer they become. How are you storing them and for how long? I store only in the Dust Bag in a pretty temperature regulated room. I also try to rotate often. Cleaning products? I do not use anything on my bags except for warm water and mild soap gently wiping the canvas with a rag ( as recommended). I may use non-alcohol baby wipes on my vechetta to clean the handles.

Maybe I'll learn something new here.
Agree that any stiffness would be from improper storage, not something you should expect to happen because of the canvas itself. To prevent it from becoming stiff, just keep your bags stored normally, in regular humidity and temperature: not too dry or too humid, not exposed to too much heat or cold. Consult the existing threads on care and storage, but LV canvas is hardy and not in need of babying.

Thank you - I store my not used items stuffed in dustbag in my officedesk (livingroom) ... I was asking, as I heard about this:

http://stephenchukumba.com/2012/09/15/louis-vuitton-customer-service-fail/

And I am just very unhappy about it ... I would wish my bags to last me decades :biggrin: ... I have all in Damier ebene - and have not done
anything to the leather straps or the canvas till now ... Should I do something? Should Canvas be moisturized??