What looks good with 5 stone wedding band

Sep 12, 2009
I am going to switch out my setting on my engagement ring to something I can wear with my 5 stone (.30 each) wedding band. What style solitaire ( I suppose that is what I am limited to, nothing pave right, that would be "too much?") would be best. Do I need a cathedral to raise the ering diamond over the 5 stones? I am also going to upgrade the engagement diamond and unsure what size would be well matched with the .30 cts....I was thinking 1.60?

Thank you!!

What looks good with a wedding band is a ring finger!

I think a 1.6 carat stone would compliment the .3 carat stones beautifully. The setting options for the engagement ring stone is likely going to be influenced by the setting of the 5 stone ring wedding band (assuming you already have that ring). What works well with a prong setting can be very different from what works well with a channel setting.

Reactions: wantabalenciaga
That sounds like it will be really pretty!

I have a five-stone anniversary band. I wear a plain wedding band, then above that the five-stone anniversary band, then a 1.00 ct. round solitaire set in a plain, classic Tiffany style setting. It is not a cathedral setting and it looks really nice I think.

Lately I am just wearing the plain wedding band and the five-stone band.

Have fun choosing a setting!

D5B58BD4-4741-49B1-BD0B-F798A13B1177.jpeg 7E1E00BD-BEF9-48AA-8D19-E42617D26293.jpeg ACC3B976-8EED-46A5-BB70-DC66951A6E99.jpeg Sounds very similar to my set. My band is 5 stone .30 each and the ER center stone is over 3.5 carat flanked by 2 more .30 diamonds. The center stone must be higher and will look bigger...in my case I had to add a spacer band to prevent prong erosion because of the open style setting of all the stones. With a different setting for the stones you may be able to get away with not having a spacer band but an open style setting allows lots of light to be reflected adding to the sparkle. I think I would shoot for as close to 2.0 carat as possible. .30 is pretty big for a band.

Have fun designing it!

I love that idea of two matching .30 stones on each side! Do you think a 3 stone ring could look good as well? I really do love sparkle and pave, but worry that might not look right against the bigger stones of the 5 stone. My current ring has diamond beads and it just looks a bit dull when right next to the 5 stone.

Going back to the ring just like Gourmetgal's - is a 1.60 or even 1.80 -2.0 carat diamond going to pop like that amazing 3.5 carat? Or will it get lost in the sea of diamonds?

Last edited:
I understand your reluctance to go with a pave band or small diamonds on the band. I think it's a matter of proportion. If you're limited in the size of the center stone then consider going down slightly on the band diamonds...perhaps .25's? That being said, have the designer line up the diamonds or show some examples of bands with different sized solitares, you'll know what looks good if you have the proportion right. A traditional 3-stone usually has larger side stones than Gourmet's above...if your band stones are too large than I think it might take away from the 3-stone look.

I have a smaller 5 stone band (Tiffany, 0.1 ct per stone), and wanted a simple setting for my engagement ring with pave only. I had the band on the engagement ring custom made so that it was as subtle as possible and the pave ended exactly where the stones on the wedding band end. That just looked nicer to my eye. I previously had an engagement ring setting with side diamonds and it struck me as too busy with the wedding band and taking away from the center diamond. I would suggest 2 carats if possible for the center stone. I like the proportions of mine (0.1 ct per wedding band stone and 2.1 cart center stone). It doesn’t look big at all, but just barely doesn’t look petite. Your wedding band stones are much larger, so I would aim for a 2-2.5 carat stone, depending on your budget. A 3 carat stone looks great, but it starts to get top heavy unless you set it low (which makes it look smaller anyway!).

Current setting- simplified.
IMG_0026.jpg
IMG_0028.jpg

Previous setting (same center stone) - too busy in my opinion.
IMG_0029.jpg
IMG_0031.jpg
IMG_0030.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0028.jpg
    IMG_0028.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 240