What lighting do you use to apply your makeup?

lovemysavior

Acting My Wage
O.G.
Aug 10, 2008
Ok, I don't know if this is a silly question or what, but if you have to move my thread then that's ok. I just thought it could be posted here since it does relate to makeup. Anyhow, I'd like to know what type of lighting do you have in your makeup area? I have a fairly big bathroom that has two 4x5 windows that allow plenty of lighting to come in but I also have those curly, energy saving light bulbs on my mirror. I see my makeup looks so different inside than when I step outside. Any suggestions for good lighting besides applying my makeup outside :P. Thanks everyone.

I made sure when I got my vanity that I put it near a window so I'd have natural light. I also have a magnifying mirror with different settings (including daylight) that I can use when it's dark.

I have a lamp on my counter that is a sunlight lamp, by Lights of America. It is supposed to mimmick natural light I guess? I think it does a pretty good job. I got it at either target or walmart...can't remember which.

i use the natural light in my vanity area - i have a huge window that light just pours in. and i also have a 3 way make-up miror with different light settings too but i normally use it for evening applications. guess i'm just like claireZk!

i try to open the blinds a little bit to let some sun come in, and do it standing up holding a mirror... it's kind of a pain, but i'd rather do that than step out and look like bozo the clown.

As scary as I find it to be, at least on those 3 hour of sleep nights, I always do my makeup using natural light. I used to do it in my bathroom, but noticed how different I looked when I would go outside. My bathroom has light that makes everyone look amazing but sadly it doesn't seem anywhere close to what natural light is.

Back before I found this sun light I have, I would take a big mirror and all my makeup and go sit in front of a window. It was a big PITA but I found it made a big difference in how I applied my makeup. I tend to have a heavy hand anyway, so some natural light is a must for me.

I think it is best to apply makeup in the light where you will be spending most of your time. So if you work in an office with fluorescent lighting, at least you will know what you will look like at work all day if you use similar lighting to apply your makeup.

Natural light may be "best" or most accurate, but if you are going to be going to a dim, candle-lit restaurant, you may want to apply your makeup so that it will look best under those circumstances, which may require a slightly heavier hand.

My bathroom has a combination of incandescent and fluorescent lighting, which I find to be fairly accurate for most circumstances. I do have a window I can open the blinds on, but that (obviously!) only works during the day.