What lesson from your parents are you thankful for?

savvyblonde

Love LV
O.G.
Aug 24, 2006
In reading and answering several threads, it got me thinking.....What lesson or advice did your parents give you that you look back on and think...I am so glad they made/encouraged me do this?

I am so thankful that my parents made me go to college right after highschool. I look back on friends who took semesters off for whatever reasons and they never went back. I am so blessed to be in the position I am today because my parents were so firm about this.

So what about you?

I am so thankful that my parents let me choose what I wanted to do with my future and they always, always supported me through everything I've ever done (even when I dropped out of college they fully supported that decision and yes, I returned a semester later). As far as direct advice... that would come from my mother. She told me to always go for my dreams, no matter how far off they seemed, and to do everything for myself. No one else.

I'm glad they didn't let me get a job until I was in college. It forced me to concentrate on school instead of money. I believe I would have spent more than 4 years in college if I had started working full time in high school.

My father was awful. A truly horrid man. I am not angry about it. Its taught me to treat my children in the exact opposite way that he treated me.

Its probably my proudest achievement that they are having an incredible childhood :yes: , and because of how awful he was, it has taught me me how NOT to treat people, so he sure taught me something useful.

:smile:

I think my parents are the greatest people, and I am so, so, so thankful for what they have taught me. They taught me to have a great work ethic (to work hard and do good work), to be honest, responsible, respectful, to speak clearly and be polite. My Dad has taught me a lot about running a business, and the way you treat your customers and employees (always always always fairly and with respect). He taught me that anytime I get knocked down, to get my booty back up right away and try harder. My Dad, as he is a conservative and I am about as liberal as one gets, has taught me to see the other side of the story and be more accepting of other people's opinions.

These are the lessons that have really stuck!!

But most of all, they taught me a few special things that I am particularly thankful for:

1.To know good things. To know good food, to know good furniture, to know good antiques, to know good people, to know good jewelry, etc. To know quality!

2. To be social with people that are older than you. I grew up around more 30+age people, and very, very few young people, so I tend to be more social with people that are much older than I am.

3. When you marry someone, you marry their WHOLE family. So you better like the family and the family had better like you!

And most of all:

They taught me to have a positive outlook, always. My parent are not negative in any way, and my family has no history of depression. If we get knocked down, we happily get back up and work harder, and if something bad happens, we accept that it's life and that you can't let it ruin you. My mom has been a nurse for 30 years, so her view on death/dying is very realistic and honest, which can be hard to handle, but at least she's prepared for anything.

They also taught me to be careful with money. My family wasn't as fortunate when I was 10-13 year old, and I didn't have the fineries that others had and was therefore made fun of quite a bit. But it never bothered me that much, because of the good family I had. Now, I may have expensive taste but I am very careful with funds, and nothing goes to waste in my house, and nothing goes to waste at my parents! They don't blow $ on vacations or electronics or cars, they spend only what they need and spend their money on the smaller things, like a nice piece of antique jewelry, a nice dinner out together, or planting a big veggie garden. I've taken all of that from them!

My father was awful. A truly horrid man. I am not angry about it. Its taught me to treat my children in the exact opposite way that he treated me.

Its probably my proudest achievement that they are having an incredible childhood :yes: , and because of how awful he was, it has taught me me how NOT to treat people, so he sure taught me something useful.

i commend your ability to rise above. wonderful.:flowers:
my parents are two of the most generous, kind, and forgiving people ....i am incredibly thankful for all they have taught me.

My parents always taught me that it was okay to be different. I went through college never doing a lot of things other people were....no smoking, no drugs, rarely drinking, none of the casual hook-ups....I also have no problem expressing my opinions, no matter how different they may be from someone else's. I'm just not afraid to be myself in any situation, and I thank my parents so much for that!

I thankful my parents didn't spoil me. They could of bought me much more but didn't want to take away my joy of certain passages in life.
If I got myself in trouble, parents said we'll stand beside you. But you are going to admit to doing it & take the punishment. So I only pull one "stunt", knowing they meant what they said. And it was a good one!
There was no worse sin in my family than lying. Its still an issue with me, but I have learned not so with many people. I'm sorry for them.
An appreciation for art, music, antiques, & dance.

I'm thankful that my parents--my mother specifically taught me to be empathetic to others.

I'm thankful that my mother taught me to have Faith and to be spiritual at an early age.

I'm very happy that my parents stressed getting an education and that there was no other way in our house...lol...there was no choice..you had to go to college...after getting a degree you could do what you wished but you had to get a degree.

My parents taught me to always be myself and to never forget who and where I come from.

My parents taught me to socialize with EVERYONE...all races and all walks of life from an early age. I can talk to a homeless person and the leader of any country and feel totally at ease in either situation.

My parents taught me that no person is better than the next and to never think I was better than someone. Some may think they are but in the end we were all born.... We all go through lifes ups and downs and we will all die ---that is for certain. So I'm never intimidated by anyone.

Wow, great posts. A lot of my great lessons are the same as others:

1. College was seen as an extension of high school. There was no way around it, you went the fall after you graduated from high school. I'm really glad that I went right away and got it out of the way so I could start my adult life.

2. Be nice to EVERYONE. From the bottom up. You never know who might be in the position to help you later, or who you might be working for someday!

3. Have a firm handshake. It shows confidence.

4. Give generously to charity, whether it be with things you no longer want, monetary donations, or your time.

5. There are no free rides. Work hard and you will eventually be rewarded.

6. Have an appreciation for the arts.

I'm sure there are MANY more -- I live them every day!

My parents taught me to never think of myself as better than anyone else. I'm not. Everyone is equal and deserves to be treated with the same respect.

They taught me to appreciate experiences rather than things.

They taught me the importance of 'please' and 'thank you.'

They taught me to appreciate good food. It doesn't have to be fancy, but it can't be crap. There's more to life than Big Macs and Whoppers.

They taught me to appreciate culture: I can remember going to musicals when I was younger, and I still love them. I can also remember going to art museums. At the time, it was the most boring/excrutiating thing in the world. Gradually, my tastes have changed, especially since I've taken art history and philosophy of beauty classes in college.

wow! good thread! sometimes - my parents drive my crazy! but i know they taught me some valuable lessons that i share with my kids.

1 - to take care of stuff- whatever it is- treat is well and don't take anything for granted.

2- education and finishing degree- projects- promises - etc... Finish what u start.

3 - repsectful of other people and all living things.

4 - be nice!

oh so much more---- i should call them now and say thanks again!

:yes: Me too - a terrible, aggressive, screwed up father who taught me mostly by default. I am grateful every day I tell my adorable kids how much I love them that I know the importance of doing so due to him.

My mother on the other hand was a frighteningly glamorous model who was light on maternal skills and instinct, but did tell me never to wear black or navy and probably ignited my love of Hermes!